Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hardcore approach to turning off wireless devices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hardcore approach to turning off wireless devices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fizzer
I respect your greater knowledge on the issue but I don't think either of the articles suggested that it would bring down the aircraft. Both pilots quoted independently say that a single phone is not the issue but that many phones cause an irritating and potentially distracting background noise and could, potentially, cause confusion if they were attempting to communicate with others. I have no idea why the FAA bans it but while they do I will happily comply.
Well the good news is that the Nextgen ATC system will be text based. There will be far less voice communication for pilots to worry about. I'm sure people will still let paranoia get the best of them though.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
On the SFO->BOS late flight yesterday, after the announcement to turn off cellular devices, one male FA announced specific devices that needed to be turned off: "Fred's Samsung....." A few minutes later, he listed them again by name and then said, "If they are not turned off, they will be reported to the FAA......
Wish this FA had been on my SAN-SFO flight today. Guy next to me (in 1B) kept texting after the door closed but every time an FA came by he turned his phone over (so knew it was wrong). He kept texting the whole flight dingin galore such that I started looking at his phone (I was also wearing earphones watching the intermittant DTV). Every time I looked at his phone he stopped and when I would look away he would go back to texting. As soon as the wheels were down on the tarmac he called whoever he had been texting ( we were still on an active runway ).

Very annoying and no idea why the FAS did not hear the pinging or stop him talking on his phone while on an active runway.

​​​​He had been upgraded so guess he was more special than the rest of us who follow the announced rules.

Wished more FAs enforced the rules.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Texting can be legal during any phase of flight if you're doing it through the airplane's wifi. On the 737s, if not other fleets, iOS devices can text to other iOS devices without buying internet service. Pretty handy if you're an iPhone user.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Texting can be legal during any phase of flight if you're doing it through the airplane's wifi. On the 737s, if not other fleets, iOS devices can text to other iOS devices without buying internet service. Pretty handy if you're an iPhone user.
^ Some people just can't mind their own business.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It's a stupid rule & I will continue to ignore it unless they threaten to eject me. If your behavior does not hurt anyone else then maybe the rule needs to go. Live free or die!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.