Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

One Way Ticket to Europe - Does United Check Onwards Travel at Check In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hey Everyone,

I'm doing a year long study abroad trip in Europe. Yeah!

I received a one-way award ticket with United and plan to book the return trip at a later stage after I land in Europe.

I've been reading that some airlines will check for onwards travel otherwise they will deny boarding.

Does United do that? I have all the appropriate student visa documents that show I can reside in the country for a year.

The only wrinkle is that I'm studying in France but not flying into France (but a Schengen country).

Thx
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
In theory they can denied your boarding because you don't have a return ticket (this is not because the company, but rules on EU).

On the other hand, if you have a valid visa for one year, it's impossible to have a return ticket right now because they cannot sell tickets over one year :-)

You don't need to care about the immigration point. If you have a valid visa for a Schengen country, you're welcome but, be sure that your visa is ok and all documents. Without it, the immigration can cut your stay and send you back to home.

The official rules are here: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. I was thinking of getting an award ticket back to the US is it a good idea?

Should it be 90 days out or can it be longer?

Finally, will United care that I'm flying into another EU country but have a visa for France?

Originally Posted by pmichelazzo
In theory they can denied your boarding because you don't have a return ticket (this is not because the company, but rules on EU).

On the other hand, if you have a valid visa for one year, it's impossible to have a return ticket right now because they cannot sell tickets over one year :-)

You don't need to care about the immigration point. If you have a valid visa for a Schengen country, you're welcome but, be sure that your visa is ok and all documents. Without it, the immigration can cut your stay and send you back to home.

The official rules are here: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by raria
Thanks. I was thinking of getting an award ticket back to the US is it a good idea?

Should it be 90 days out or can it be longer?

Finally, will United care that I'm flying into another EU country but have a visa for France?
If you have a visa for somewhere in the Schengen area then they won't care where you enter that area. If your visa is good for a year then they won't care that you have n return flight right now. They just want to make sure you won't be rejected when you attempt to enter
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I do one way awards or paid a few times a year and the only time I've ever been asked was by Asiana at check in at JFK but I did have an onward flight on another carrier.
Anyways UA is not going to care and if you are that worried the morning of your flight you can buy a France-Home ticket and then once your checked in and have your BP you can cancel it for a full refund within the 24h of booking.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I recently entered DUB with intentions of applying for a year long volunteer visa. I bought a return the day I left and refunded it as soon as I was through, but no one ever asked. Just don't forget to cancel it!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:53 pm

I just booked one away award to Europe with united and AA award for return. They did ask me about the return trip and I told them I got ticket with AA and that was it. They did not request me to show any proof of documentation.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:07 pm

just book a return flight w a full refundable fare.
after you arrive to EU, cancel it and get a full refund. that way you are safe even if they insist and ask.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
just book a return flight w a full refundable fare.
after you arrive to EU, cancel it and get a full refund. that way you are safe even if they insist and ask.
If you have a visa then when they ask about your return you show them the visa. N need to buy and refund another ticket.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hey Everyone,

I'm doing a year long study abroad trip in Europe. Yeah!

I received a one-way award ticket with United and plan to book the return trip at a later stage after I land in Europe.

I've been reading that some airlines will check for onwards travel otherwise they will deny boarding.

Does United do that? I have all the appropriate student visa documents that show I can reside in the country for a year.

The only wrinkle is that I'm studying in France but not flying into France (but a Schengen country).

Thx
Yes, UA does it at least sometimes. Usually when they ask if I have proof of onward travel, I just talk my way into being allowed to go anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
You could always look for a cheap one way back to the US . . . Norwegian Air has an October 14th flight from Paris to Boston for $187. Wow has flights from Paris to EWR for $199 on Halloween and Jan 26. Of course these are non refundable. Buying a refundable ticket would be preferable but could max out your credit card?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If you have a visa then when they ask about your return you show them the visa. N need to buy and refund another ticket.
Thanks you guys are so helpful!

But there could be a problem perhaps? I am a dual citizen of US and NZ. I live in the US but my visa for France is in my NZ passport (it's a long story but when I applied for my visa, my USA passport expired within a year but my NZ passport did not so the put the visa in the NZ passport.)

So when I check in at the airport for international travel, UA always asks me for my USA passport. I show them that. Then they ask for onwards travel and I show them the visa in my NZ passport. Will that cause issues?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Just did SFO-LHR last week and only had 1-way on UA. Did have a return on BA booked but not sure they would have known that (I don't know how sophisticated their systems are).

No one ever asked about return flight, not even at immigration in Heathrow. The agent there was actually hilarious probably one of the most non-pc I've ever had in terms of the political banter we exchanged in a fun and jovial way. I even said to her jokingly "I can't agree or disagree with what you just said because I still need you to admit me into the country" - to which she replied, "I've already stamped you so you can say whatever you like." It was quite funny!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So when I check in at the airport for international travel, UA always asks me for my USA passport. I show them that. Then they ask for onwards travel and I show them the visa in my NZ passport. Will that cause issues?
Traveling to the EU on a US passport, I have never been asked for anything other than the passport to establish my ability to enter the EU....one way or not.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
You don't need to have a return booked. I am/was in the same boat as you (I now have residency because of my studies), but no one will ever ask, and there won't be any worry about flying into another Schengen country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.