Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many people can you cram in two business class seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many people can you cram in two business class seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Our brains are built so that a moving object in our peripheral visual fields attracts our attention. Our ancestors were less likely to become tiger food because of this.

It can become annoying.
It would drive me nuts. Especially with the seat layout on this particular aircraft. Particularly annoying for 1B and 2D.

Three adults do not belong in two business class seats and the FAs should have put a stop to this immediately.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The folks in question must have read about Shirley Yamauchi and thought 3 people per 2 seats to/from Hawaii is acceptable practice at United.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
And now you know why the upper deck on a 747 is so nice....or was so nice. Wife and I have been separated on flights in the past when only one of us got an upgrade so we just sat in our assigned seats, her in F and me in Y and made the best of it for the 5 hour haul between LAS and EWR... There is really no excuse for the kind of nonsense the OP had to put up with and the FAs should have been more on the ball. It sounds pretty obvious.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Let's play role reversal for a moment....

Say the OP is sitting in Y, and someone from F or C comes back to spend time with companion in Y. Wouldn't this be just as annoying?

Or for that matter - let's just say there was no cabin switching - just people not having their radar on that they are sharing space with others.

So - when it comes down to it - I don't think the cabin has much to do with it. It has to do with invading space and not being considerate!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by zrs70
Let's play role reversal for a moment....

Say the OP is sitting in Y, and someone from F or C comes back to spend time with companion in Y. Wouldn't this be just as annoying?

Or for that matter - let's just say there was no cabin switching - just people not having their radar on that they are sharing space with others.

So - when it comes down to it - I don't think the cabin has much to do with it. It has to do with invading space and not being considerate!
Yes, yes it is. Ive been in economy when the F passenger came to talk loudly with his subordinates in Y near me. Even within economy class, passengers who were traveling together but not seated together all decided to hang around in the aisles talking loudly and leaning over others.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Slouchman
Question for flyertalkers, ever seen this before and what are the official UA rules on this?
When UA was flying the pre-IPTE 777s on IAHHNL, I had the displeasure of traveling to Hawaii with my now-ex mother-in-law. My ex-wife and I were up in First and I had been kind enough to upgrade the in-laws to Business. Apparently she didn't think that was good enough so decided to come up to F and chat with the wife because she felt left out sitting in Business while I was stretching my legs and chatting in the galley with the FA (groaning about the dreaded family vacation). Happened to glance back into the cabin and noticed monster-in-law in my seat and jokingly said something to the FA about bouncing her back to Business; he said"let me take care of that for you." Well the look of shock on her face was priceless when I happened to notice the exchange....let's just say it was a showdown of queens and the FA won. Naturally when we landed monster-in-law was complaining about the rude FA and how she couldn't understand what the problem was. I think I may have wrote UA customer service commending the crew on such "fine" in-flight service.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
When UA was flying the pre-IPTE 777s on IAHHNL, I had the displeasure of traveling to Hawaii with my now-ex mother-in-law. My ex-wife and I were up in First and I had been kind enough to upgrade the in-laws to Business. Apparently she didn't think that was good enough so decided to come up to F and chat with the wife because she felt left out sitting in Business while I was stretching my legs and chatting in the galley with the FA (groaning about the dreaded family vacation). Happened to glance back into the cabin and noticed monster-in-law in my seat and jokingly said something to the FA about bouncing her back to Business; he said"let me take care of that for you." Well the look of shock on her face was priceless when I happened to notice the exchange....let's just say it was a showdown of queens and the FA won. Naturally when we landed monster-in-law was complaining about the rude FA and how she couldn't understand what the problem was. I think I may have wrote UA customer service commending the crew on such "fine" in-flight service.
lol, imagine if the Monster in law did something arrestable. You might have cut them a big cheque
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Aventine
lol, imagine if the Monster in law did something arrestable. You might have cut them a big cheque
I would have been eternally grateful....and probably still married. But I digress.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
UA's safety and security policy requires that passengers remain in their ticketed cabin absent crew member permission. Once that policy is filed with the FAA, the failure to follow it is a violation of FAA rules.
So if I have a relative in economy, it's a violation for me to go back and visit them?

Effectively this rule seems to work a prohibition to enter the Business / First class cabins not the other way around.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Gig103
Even within economy class, passengers who were traveling together but not seated together all decided to hang around in the aisles talking loudly and leaning over others.
This. It doesn't matter what cabin the distracting passengers are ticketed in. If I am in the aisle seat in Y and someone wants to talk to the middle or window seat person for more than a minute, I would expect them to not stand next to/over me, but rather have that conversation somewhere else (galley, ...)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Wasn't this a whole subplot in Bridesmaids with Kristen Wiig?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoopics
The answer is four, BTW. Two adults and two lap children. I've seen this -- a couple with a pair of what I estimate were ~18 month old twins on a flight from either BRU or GVA to IAD. I know it was a pmUA 76-3 which is why the route sticks out. It was a daytime flight, and fortunately a smooth one at that, as they basically turned the aisle seat into a flat fence and let the kids stand up, sit down, play around in the area between that and the window. The kids were reasonably well behaved so I found it amusing more than anything else. But that's very different from your scenario.
Only if there are enough oxygen masks. There are usually on 3 for 2 seats so a second lap child would violate this, unless they were in a different row/across the aisle.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
People in the rear cabin are not supposed to go up to the front cabin, period.

I don't mind a one-time swap, but that's already the exception to the rule.

I would have brought the situation to the attention of the purser within minutes of noticing. If someone wants to hang out in the business class cabin, United sells tickets for that.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I am surprised at this as my experience has been that the FA's on my flights have been very strict about "visiting" first/business class from economy. I recall on a recent IAH to HNL flight in first, a woman behind me asked the FA if she could switch with her husband during the flight. The answer was switch now before we take off, but not at anytime after.

And I am also against the visitor hanging around the seat chatting with their friend. It's annoying in such a confined space.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've seen visits a few times. Usually only for a few minutes at most, nothing like what you describe. The only time I've seen a lengthy visit is during boarding.

Sometimes on very long flights, I just want to get up and stretch my legs so I walk from the front of the plane to the back, then around to the other side and back up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.