Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked in F, equipment swap to a plane without F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked in F, equipment swap to a plane without F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jmanirish

But they never tried to call me. And never got an email/call regarding my other res.
When UA stopped flying DAL-DEN there was no notice

UA simply changed my morning flight to afternoon DFW-DEN
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by EmailKid
When UA stopped flying DAL-DEN there was no notice

UA simply changed my morning flight to afternoon DFW-DEN
Well, yeah, the computer will do some strange auto-booking, including deciding to book you on a flight a day earlier. Had to call in to undo the damage.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Exterous
I used miles to book a 777-200 in F from SFO to AKL in December. Today I checked and our flight is now scheduled to be operated by a 789 I'm guessing as part of the refit of the new Polaris seats.

I have a couple of questions about this. I was a few thousand miles short of affording the F seats so I bought some United miles to book a seat class that is no longer offered on the route. Any opinions on how successful I would be in asking for a refund for the point purchase? While I would still have the points from the class difference refund I wouldn't have bought them if the F seats hadn't been available.

Anyone thing there is a decent chance there would be another plane swap back to a 772 with F?

Lastly would I be out of line in asking for additional compensation since I could have configured the trip differently to take advantage of options that are, in my opinion, better than United's J?

Thanks all!
I would call and try to get placed on a different airline in F for the same number of miles, even if it requires a routing change. You could also try a routing change on UA metal in F if there is one (not sure there is to AKL?)

If mileage seats are available on another airline (even though the miles required is higher), they can put you in it. That would actually be a big win for you, since UA F is pretty poor relative to other carriers. If there's an issue with a difference in miles (since partner F awards are more expensive than UA F awards now) you could ask them to give you that many miles as a customer service gesture and then book you into the partner inventory.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I would call and try to get placed on a different airline in F for the same number of miles, even if it requires a routing change. You could also try a routing change on UA metal in F if there is one (not sure there is to AKL?) ....
The only non-stops from the West Coast US to AKL are NZ and UA, and neither offer 3-class F.

You could get to SYD in 3-class F (not on *A) + Business to AKL or connecing via Asia mainland (very long flight times). So the options aren't there.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:58 am

I'm in the same situation - booked HKG-BKK-AKL-BHE with HKG-BKK in TG F, BKK-AKL in TG J and AKL-BHE in NZ Y. I was charged 35k for this (pre-Nov 1 2017 devaluation) which is an odd pricing (supposed to be 30k for J or 40k for F) but I guess it was mixed pricing since only HKG-BKK was in F and the rest wasn't.

Anyway, TG cut F on HKG-BKK altogether and no alternative available so I called in several times already to get a refund of 5k miles per passenger - what I'm getting now cost 30k under the applicable chart when I booked. No success so far - just now the rep even said according to her supervisor I am subject to the new chart, no matter voluntary or involuntary change and I shall pay an ADDITIONAL 15k per passenger as the new chart is more expensive than what I originally paid. WTH? I told her don't you dare change or cancel my booking.

How would you suggest I approach this? Do you have a number of competent people at UA (if there's such a thing) I can call or is there a form on the website I can fill out instead?

Last edited by svellmann; Mar 15, 2018 at 3:58 am Reason: formatting
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by svellmann
How would you suggest I approach this? Do you have a number of competent people at UA (if there's such a thing) I can call or is there a form on the website I can fill out instead?
Unless you need the miles for a new booking, I wouldn't do a thing until after flying, at which point I would use the website to request a refund, and then follow up as necessary. That way, the worst that can happen is that they say no and you have to argue with them, which is much better than having to worry about them cancelling your reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.