Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United favors upgrades over paid first?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Often1
UA generally holds 2 F seats for the gate.
pmUA used to do this, but I think that ended when the CO crew took over.

I have been switched over to OAL (usually AA) during IRROPS when UA had no space up front. In my mind, this had to cost more than whatever UA got from selling upgrades, but then I don't know what all goes on behind the curtain.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by In The 216
Think about what some of you are saying....
It doesn't require any thought at all - UA has for years been shafting premium-paying pax in favor of elites and, post-merger, ToD. It's infuriating to fly on a $10-15k ticket all the way from the other side of the world, only to find yourself in a middle E- seat for your final transcon or semi-transcon segment due to IRROPS (I have plenty of experience with this IAD->DEN, for example).

The reality, though, is that even UA doesn't think UA has a true domestic F product anymore, and they treat it accordingly.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by In The 216
Think about what some of you are saying....

You're saying that the airline should withhold one or two first class seats until T-1 (or T-2, T-3, T-4, whatever) so that those that are in the first class cabin on a paid first class fare can have options when IRROPS occurs or you chose to SDC? While I understand that desire, it just simply doesn't make business sense. If the airline can sell TOD's or otherwise sell those seats, why should't they? United is not losing paying F customers by a greater revenue dollar amount than they are selling TOD's because of how revenue management is allocating seats.
I think it does make sense and would not cost them anything. Hold back 2 seats until 1 hour before the flight for IRROPS or someone who wants to purchase full fare first. Then upgrade or upsell people those last seats at T-1.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
CPUs are rare for this 1K, and when they clear, it's usually at the gate.

When folks are on the cleared upgrade list, it includes those who used an RPU or GPU -- and finding R>0 is difficult at best. I think most of the seats in the front cabin are now paid F (at ticketing or a TOD/HOD*) or upgraded GS members.

*hundreds of dollars. I've never received an offer <$100.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by mduell
I have not seen that practice this year.
I have not seen this either. Another one for the Urban Myth pile.
Originally Posted by findark
I was able to get an in-depth look at this on a route with no TODs (rather, no one bought them). Note this is sample size n=1 route and not applicable to other routes, but I suspect they are similar..

UA wouldn't CPU the last two seats on the plane. But within 24 hours, inventory was F2 P2 R0, which strongly implies to me that they were offering the $199 (fare differential) upsell, which in this rare instance no one took. What I would like to see is F2 A0 (I think this means no TOD prints) up to the gate, holding the seats for people who are willing to pay full F, or for F IRROPS.

If you need to get rebooked in paid F, you are up a creek and it's absolutely infuriating.
Infuriating it is. You get booked automatically from F to Y and are told to wait because some of the buy-up offers may be taken up. You try to explain that you have been downgraded and they ask then why are you up on the upgrade list waiting for first? I am on the WL for first because you, dear agent, booked it that way.

I ask her to call someone like a help desk or else it will be her fault when I apply for downgrade compensation. She heard back from the help desk to clear me into first before any more buy-ups or CPUs are processed. She says its not fair, hope you enjoy getting the upgrade for free. I explain one last time, it is not free, I bought a first class ticket. This way you will not have to refund something to me or pay me downgrade compensation..... But she clearly was not believing my words...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
AA and DL both do this also. They upgrade a bunch of elites and fill the cabin, then when things go wrong, they have no ability to accommodate. With that said, DL is better about it since they tend to be much more reliable to begin with, but AA is absolutely terrible. It started to become a common occurrence for a while that I would be in paid F, flight would get canceled, and then I'd be sitting around a hub airport for up to 12 hours waiting on the next flight with open F seats.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I think most of the seats in the front cabin are now paid F (at ticketing or a TOD/HOD*) or upgraded GS members.

*hundreds of dollars. I've never received an offer <$100.
FYI, I used to find the TOD acronym a rather silly exaggeration, but as I understand it its meaning has morphed to "time of departure" upgrade. Certainly makes more sense that way.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:55 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gcashin
Having flown AC for many years, they are much less generous with clearing upgrades in advance which can be a bit of an irritant for those on the upgrade list, but this means if you run into an IRROP, there are more options for rebooking, as they hold more seats back until the gate.
As a former 5-year SE100K, I agree, however there are NOT more seats open because they are holding them for IRROPS, but yes, in the hopes that someone will buy them.

AC is very stingy with upgrades, and in fact their mission over the past 3 years has been to minimize "elites cheapening the cabin" (their quote, posting on here), for which they would rather have a half empty cabin.

Also keep in mind the vast difference between members in the program - AC is a speck on the wall compared to the number of elites capable of CPU/RPU/GPU'ing on United.

Last edited by Absolute; Jun 25, 2017 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
FYI, I used to find the TOD acronym a rather silly exaggeration, but as I understand it its meaning has morphed to "time of departure" upgrade. Certainly makes more sense that way.
First time I've seen "time of departure" used. Probably because offers can pop up anytime.

ToD goes back to time when they would offer kettles literally $40 upgrade opportunity while the elite who was traveling with them would end up in coach after they someone would grab that offer. And elites were never offered that that low price.

Those days (anecdotally) are long gone and offers are much higher, and when posted IMHO simply refer to u/g offers to non elites.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EmailKid
First time I've seen "time of departure" used. Probably because offers can pop up anytime.

ToD goes back to time when they would offer kettles literally $40 upgrade opportunity while the elite who was traveling with them would end up in coach after they someone would grab that offer. And elites were never offered that that low price.

Those days (anecdotally) are long gone and offers are much higher, and when posted IMHO simply refer to u/g offers to non elites.
I flew 4 segments last week all main line aircraft 737-800 and -900. Two went out with one upgrade, one with a single and the last flight on a Friday had no upgrades. The guy next to me in F told me that he bought the upgrade both ways on his trip last week because it was a no-brainer at $69 and $59. He laughed and told me he can drink that much in booze on each 2.5 hour flight. He had no status on UA and was a Delta FF. He had no idea of his fare code. First time I have been able to verify a TOD firsthand.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I'm not sure where people are flying out of that have two F seats available right before departure but this is definitely not happening to me and, if it is a policy, I would be shocked.

All one has to do is look at the upgrade list hours before a flight and see the "Booked - Full" on the app and know that holding two seats is definitely not a policy.

That said, I'm fine it is not a policy. As a 1K, I gladly take any upgrade scraps I can get from the paid F and GS crowd.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by limey1K
The guy next to me in F told me that he bought the upgrade both ways on his trip last week because it was a no-brainer at $69 and $59.
<snip>
First time I have been able to verify a TOD firsthand.
OUCH

Maybe ToD are back after all

Curious how long the flights are - I know AUS-DFW and such got u/g offers in that range, but for a hop that short it would not matter, at least not to me. A midcon, OTOH ....
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by limey1K
I flew 4 segments last week all main line aircraft 737-800 and -900. Two went out with one upgrade, one with a single and the last flight on a Friday had no upgrades. The guy next to me in F told me that he bought the upgrade both ways on his trip last week because it was a no-brainer at $69 and $59. He laughed and told me he can drink that much in booze on each 2.5 hour flight. He had no status on UA and was a Delta FF. He had no idea of his fare code. First time I have been able to verify a TOD firsthand.
A bit misleading, IMO. What probably happened is that the DL flyer purchased very high priced coach tickets, and the difference between the F ticket price and the price they paid was only $59 and $69 per segment.

What he did, in essence was buy an F ticket by paying the difference between his original fare and the actual F fare. What is even better is that UA will give you the EQDs and bonus EQMs when you do this UG during the original purchase.

It's UA's way of selling a passenger an F ticket without actually making you feel as if you purchased one
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I've deliberately taken the acronym and tried to push it to mean "time of departure". The problem is that there is a specific pricing model for Premium Cabin Upgrades (this is the term that UA uses on the EDD and receipt), which is only available online, and only (a) during the purchase process, or (b) at or after OLCI. This pricing model is independent of your actual ticket basis, and only loosely correlated to the flight load and premium inventory.

The price offered is roughly constant, and roughly equal to the route fare differential (which would be the actual F/Y price difference in moderate-load conditions). For non-differential routes, there is some fixed amount coded into the system (seems to be 8xx - 12xx or so for long-haul J). Whether or not this offer is a "good deal" (IMO it is almost always not, but it is inflexible enough that you can exploit it to get good steals), is a matter of opinion, but the pricing algorithm is very distinctive and only available at specific times.

This is what I mean when I say "TOD".
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat
They probably have zero data on people that would have purchased a walk-up if there was availability. And very limited data on exactly why a full fare customer churned. We often buy F fares on purpose so we can switch flights if meeting ends early etc., moot point with United so if we buy discounted fares or switch to Delta - do they have any idea why? It's called being short sighted, selling stuff now shows up in Revenue today, paid first churn is a slow burn.

If I churn I'd take $50,000 in a handful of international paid first flights. They don't need to lose a lot of paid first passengers to outweigh 2x$100, let alone the walkup purchases lost etc. Heck if they're right there's no demand, maybe it costs them nothing if they reduce advanced R space by 2, still sell the same number of TODs, then upgrade those that would have been upgraded from R

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I'm pretty sure people who have actual purchase pattern data, misconnect data, and data not available to us are making these decision and trying to optimize revenue for the company.

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Jun 25, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.