Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
It's precisely this "EWR isn't in New York" mentality that United is smartly trying to change. This is a smart approach, and I hope is the beginning of smart advertising using more technology.
------

UA obviously doesn't care about the potential of 7.5 million residents who live on Long Island or the one million who live in Westchester county NY. Newark is not convenient or easy to get to for any of them. Two hour drive at best or trains equal time or more connecting through NYC (each way).
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------

UA obviously doesn't care about the potential of 7.5 million residents who live on Long Island or the one million who live in Westchester county NY. Newark is not convenient or easy to get to for any of them. Two hour drive at best or trains equal time or more connecting through NYC (each way).
One airline can't be everything to everyone.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
One airline can't be everything to everyone.
-------
Something the size of United?, yes it can. They should have never left JFK (to LAX and SFO) and added at least one DENVER flight and one CHICAGO flight from JFK (which they tried years ago and the flights were full). Doesn't matter that they don't feed (connect) outside of JFK; they would have still gotten people to fly them to NEW YORK, not New Jersey............while AA, DL and Jet Blue steamroll right past them with thousands of New Yorker's who do want to use JFK. Not everyone lives in or can attain the wealth it takes to live in Manhattan. 100's of displaced employees as well.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
-------
Something the size of United?, yes it can. They should have never left JFK (to LAX and SFO) and added at least one DENVER flight and one CHICAGO flight from JFK (which they tried years ago and the flights were full). Doesn't matter that they don't feed (connect) outside of JFK; they would have still gotten people to fly them to NEW YORK, not New Jersey............while AA, DL and Jet Blue steamroll right past them with thousands of New Yorker's who do want to use JFK. Not everyone lives in or can attain the wealth it takes to live in Manhattan. 100's of displaced employees as well.
But they did and still do have LGA-ORD/DEN flights. @:-)
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
From Manhattan:

LGA: The terminal is a mess and cramped, and the situation there right now is a mess. Plus there is always traffic even without the construction, but it is still pretty close for most of the island.

EWR: Surprisingly convenient for most of the island because traffic is (usually) only really, really bad twice per day during rush hour. Terminal C is nice, but A and B are a dump.

JFK: The name gives people the illusion that it is so close, but the Van Wyck is honestly a parking lot almost 24/7. I flew into JFK after midnight a few weeks ago and I still sat in traffic for an hour due to maintenance. Terminals 8 and 5 are really nice, T4 is meh, and the others are not in good shape.

Last edited by DA201; Jun 25, 2017 at 12:47 pm Reason: Accidentally wrote A and C instead of A and B
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
When I visit NYC, I stay in Manhattan. I prefer trains to travel airport to Manhattan. My preferences:

1) JFK: Nonstops to/from AUS are available. The LIRR runs frequently, and the subway is also available.

2) EWR: Also has nonstops to/from AUS. The NJ Transit train is available but runs irregularly - there can be a 10 or 35 minute gap between trains. And the EWR AirTrain is much smaller (and more cramped) than the JFK AirTrain.

3) LGA: No nonstops to/from AUS (AUS is just outside the perimeter) so a connection is required. Although LGA is closest to Manhattan, making connections adds at least 90 minutes to the overall travel time, which actually makes travel time for AUS to Manhattan the longest out of the 3 airports.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by DA201

EWR: .....Terminal C is nice, but A and C are a dump.

Originally Posted by DA201
JFK: The name gives people the illusion that it is so close, but the Van Wyck is honestly a parking lot almost 24/7. I flew into JFK after midnight a few weeks ago and I still sat in traffic for an hour due to maintenance. Terminals 8 and 5 are really nice, T4 is meh, and the others are not in good shape.
Nobody beats the Van Wyck. True 20 years ago, true today.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
But they did and still do have LGA-ORD/DEN flights. @:-)
-------
My main point was that dumping JFK was a wrong move. In addition, Chicago and Denver would also have worked at JFK (and did at one time), aside from LGA.
Mr. Kirby is right.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
------

It'd be nice if UA had some presence in JFK, but when looking at hub to hub comparison between UA at EWR and DL/AA at JFK, there's obviously strengths and weaknesses in terms of populations served for both. HOWEVER, the mid-ground is Manhattan which is clearly the big pot and that's what UA is arguing here

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Assuming OP meant A & B are dumps. If so, my hope is that when they finish the construction (if that ever happens - seems to have been going on for 20 years), B will be much improved.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Nobody beats the Van Wyck. True 20 years ago, true today.
^
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
-------
THIS. With JFK closed, the LEAST UA could do for those of us on LI is add ISP-IAD/ORD so we can not have to choose between LGA (construction nightmare) and a 2-3 hour drive to EWR. I just flew OZ and CX to HKG, both from JFK because...JFK.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Having just had the unfortunate experience of transiting EWR last Friday (including an hour delay before boarding, followed by a return to gate for W&B issues and then capped with a 40 minute ground stop due to TS around the airport), my total dislike for this dump was re-confirmed....

It was hot, disheveled, overpriced, overcrowded and smelly (especially near the TSA checkpoint, it was very, very nasty). My main beef with the whole place really centers on the attitudes of almost every single employee I have interacted with. There is just a pervading, overall "anything is too much trouble" kind of attitude. Oh and the United clubs are some of the worst in the whole system. Finally, let's not forget the complete CF that is the TSA checkpoint. IMHO the whole place needs to be demolished.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.