Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
A few weeks ago on a Tuesday.
Left NYC-SoHo at 6am. Curbside EWR around 6:20am, Airside 6:40am.
Thought that was pretty good based on the horror stories I had read here about EWR.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by keitherson
It's not just about driving times. It's about how EWR is simply an inferior airport for ground services. There are reasons why United has even publicly gone out to say that pulling out of JFK was a huge mistake.
To me it is all about the driving times.
Pulling out of JFK was not lamented by Kirby because of JFK having better ground services. It was about the loss of HVF who continue to fly to JFK from LAX primarily and SFO as well.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Last I looked, EWR isn't New York:

David
And SFO isn't in the city of San Francisco, but it's still pretty convenient to fly there to get to San Francisco. (or is it? I've always assumed it wasn't, but I just googled it and I might be wrong lol). Maybe DFW is a better example. I didn't check that though.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

David
And CVG isn't in Ohio.

And Baltimore WASHINGTON Int'l Airport isn't in DC. (Or Baltimore.)

And DCA and IAD are in VA (or at least you have to cross through VA to get to them and they are surrounded by VA - I think the airport properties technically are part of DC but are not contiguous with the rest of DC).

And neither JFK nor LGA are in Manhattan, for that matter.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: UA Gold
If we can pretend that the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are in New York, we can certainly pretend that EWR is too.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by grapegrower
Thought that was pretty good based on the horror stories I had read here about EWR.
It's quite good, and in fact, 20 minutes from curb to airside seems a little long. I routinely park my car in the C garage and get airside in 10 minutes.

Dont let let the mass hysteria trip you up; EWR (Term C especially) is just fine.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Bear96
And DCA and IAD are in VA (or at least you have to cross through VA to get to them and they are surrounded by VA - I think the airport properties technically are part of DC but are not contiguous with the rest of DC).
National has a D.C. mailing address, but that's a formality like the Pentagon's. The airport sits in Arlington, Virginia--the only landing facilities in the District proper are helipads.

To get back on topic, when Metro opens to IAD, I could easily see UA running ads touting the one-seat ride from downtown along the lines of the ads you see outside Penn Station talking up the NJ Transit ride to EWR.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Noanker1
Pulling out of JFK was not lamented by Kirby because of JFK having better ground services. It was about the loss of HVF who continue to fly to JFK from LAX primarily and SFO as well.
This.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
United has been pushing the New Spirit of United in New York campaign for a while, including large banner ads in Times Square, digital and still ads on top of taxis, as well as the latest Big Metal Bird (cringe-worthy, if I may add).

Still, I thought the real-time JFK/EWR comparison is brilliant.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by grapegrower
Pretty standard when I'd have a morning flight and leave my place on 5th & Bowery. Thought it didn't take me 20 min to get airside.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:19 am

It's precisely this "EWR isn't in New York" mentality that United is smartly trying to change. This is a smart approach, and I hope is the beginning of smart advertising using more technology.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Dont let let the mass hysteria trip you up; EWR (Term C especially) is just fine.
^ I actually enjoy flying out of EWR C. Tons of food options, plenty of UC options (and *A lounge options if you hop over to Term B), and mostly renovated so it's pleasant to walk around.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:34 am

While "EWR" is well-known by frequent flyers, I think it is a poor decision to use the code for a mass-market ad.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
While "EWR" is well-known by frequent flyers, I think it is a poor decision to use the code for a mass-market ad.
How else should they educate the masses? It also says NEWARK on the bottom line...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
How else should they educate the masses? It also says NEWARK on the bottom line...
This ad is also not targeted at the NYC visitor who already has his/her ticket booked to return home and might not know what EWR is.

This is targeted at New Yorkers (who should very much know what EWR is if they are travelers) and planting a seed in their head that next time they book their flights to consider EWR as an option that's closer than JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.