Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA896 SIN-HKG canceled. Rebooked on CX.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

And what's even more puzzling is this is from another *A hub! SQ has a ton of flights from SIN-HKG. Why not rebook directly on a *A carrier? Isn't *A the preferred rebooking method when a flight cancels?
SQ has elected to not adhere to the Star Alliance Irregular Operations Rebooking Policy. Therefore, it's *much* more expensive (and tedious) to use SQ flights for IROPS rebookings, and many Star members (incl. United) will only use SQ flights as a last resort.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
It always fascinates me when UA will rebook on OAL on a whim. But ask them to do that over the phone and unless you're GS they will say "heck no".

And what's even more puzzling is this is from another *A hub! SQ has a ton of flights from SIN-HKG. Why not rebook directly on a *A carrier? Isn't *A the preferred rebooking method when a flight cancels?

UA departs at 6am
CX departs at 645am, 800am, 955am, etc
SQ departs at 730am, 840am, 955am, etc.

-RM
UA has confirmed several times to me that when 895/896 go bad or are overbooked, they put everybody on CX. I wasn't aware of the history that SQ is difficult to work with, but I doubt anybody who has dealt with them would be surprised.
CX is definitely one of the easier carriers to work with based on my experience. I've been rebooked ON to them from AA, UA, and MH and in each case it was a less than 5 minute process.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
As a SQ PPS member and UA GS member, here are my observations:

1. SQ is a fantastic airlines and is an absolutely a lousy airlines for customer services. PPS agents don't seem to be able to handle any issues that is not in their prescribed list. It is hard for customers to work with them not just other *A carriers.

2. I have successfully purchased UA/SQ itineries through United and redeemed awards on SQ using my UA points without issues, so not sure the comments that UA won't book on SQ.

3. CX is a great airlines for customer service. I don't like flying them, but they treat me well and make me feel important as a non-elite customer in Oneworls Alliance.

4. If you combine CX customer service with SQ onboard offerings, you will have a fantastic airlines.

5. Sad to see UA discontinue this route, I will schedule one more farewell flight before it ends.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:34 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
5. Sad to see UA discontinue this route, I will schedule one more farewell flight before it ends.
I am going to board 895 later tonight and my first of several "farewell" 896 flights will be on Wednesday. Very sad.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
SQ has elected to not adhere to the Star Alliance Irregular Operations Rebooking Policy. Therefore, it's *much* more expensive (and tedious) to use SQ flights for IROPS rebookings, and many Star members (incl. United) will only use SQ flights as a last resort.
Oh, that explains a lot. Thanks. I wasn't aware of this fact.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
As a SQ PPS member and UA GS member, here are my observations:

2. I have successfully purchased UA/SQ itineries through United and redeemed awards on SQ using my UA points without issues, so not sure the comments that UA won't book on SQ.
Purchasing a ticket and being rebooked during IROPS are different things. I purchase SQ flights on 016 ticket stock all the time, although doing so is usually a little more expensive and I can only do it if the SQ flights are within the next few days and I'd already be paying the Y fare on SQ.com. United will only sell Y fares on SQ in coach.

During IROPS they are saying SQ is never used because of the above quote. CX has an easier policy so UA and CX can figure things out on the back-end.

I'm taking 896 (6am SIN-HKG) this week. It's not likely my last as I go to HKG frequently for business and UA isn't ending the flight for a few more months.

-RM
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K

During IROPS they are saying SQ is never used because of the above quote. CX has an easier policy so UA and CX can figure things out on the back-end.
In July 2014 my wife and I were booked on UA895 HKG-SIN in award first class ("O" on a 016 ticket). Early in the morning on the day of departure, United cancelled the flight due to mechanical problems and then, much to our surprise and delight, a VERY helpful 1K phone agent was willing to ask SQ to accept our ticket, and much to everyone's surprise, SQ said yes. We flew as the only pax on the SQ A380 HKG-SIN in July 2014 on 016 award ticket stock -- pretty great deal. Still not sure why SQ was so generous.

Hard to imagine that happening now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.