Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Defending a GA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Yeah I'm sure all the other passengers on that flight feel the same way.
It happens. Get over it. Flying is a crap shoot. You can't blame the OP, or Mr. DYKWIA for what happened to delay the flight. One persons karma is everyone else's bad luck.

It just worked out that the OP made it there 3 hrs sooner than the other flight. ... Luck of the draw.

If you can't see the humor in Mr. DYKWIAm's bad luck for your pity of the rest of his flight that's too bad.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I was standing to the side of the desk on the other side of the GA, and before the GA could speak, I yelled (caps used to simulate volume), "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR DAMN MIND? HAVEN'T YOU BEEN WATCHING THE NEWS? WHAT THE HELL'S THE MATTER WITH YOU?"
which news?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
which news?
Multiple news stories of negative interactions between passengers and airline/airport employees, usually caught on camera.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

all we need now is some pro- vs anti- GA crowds going at each other.

I strongly disagree with OP's approach - UA has the rules and it's up to them to enforce them.

I am not seeing when the guy got to the gate ("boarding completed" is meaningless), why he was late (perhaps UA shifted delayed departure time back and forth) and i don't quite see any evidence if DYKWIA behavior (perhaps frustration which is understandable under the circumstances)

The comment of "wish I could have seen his face when the captain announced the delay" only reinforced my opinion here...

I bet i can find a dozen similar stories here from the opposite prospective eg GA gave away my seat in UA-caused irrops and i missed my kid's performance..
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I strongly disagree with yelling at another yelling passenger. OP was fortunate that the DYKWIA didn't continue yelling at you and the GA, or worse yet, escalate the situation into a fistfight.

Sad that flying is a lower form of transportation, in terms of attitude and yelling and whatnot, than taking the city bus in the ghetto.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Multiple news stories of negative interactions between passengers and airline/airport employees, usually caught on camera.
but the stories are about the airlines, not passengers, behaving badly
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
true

hilarious user name
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Had an incident last year on AA where someone boarding was giving the crew a fit because it was on a CRJ and they wanted her to check her carry on (it was large) - she was convinced that her "thousands of dollars" of makeup would melt down below. After a few of us in FC made some comments to her, I immediately went on AA.com during the flight and submitted a compliment about how professional the crew was in dealing with her insanity. She was threatening to complain, write letters, screaming, etc., and they were just as calm as could be.

I showed the FA the comment I typed up before submitting - documenting her craziness and their professionalism. He was very thankful - hopefully it helped them if she did follow through on her threats.
Having worked for AA, I assure you that your comment helped (regardless of whether the lady complained). These comments are forwarded to the crew supervisors and, even if the lady didn't complain, it counts as a compliment to the crew members.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
actually, many are the pax behaving badly, but blaming it on the airline behaving badly (or both are at fault). From threads in the last month or two: Mr. drunk in MSY (ok, probably equally bad behavior on both sides there), the two newlyweds who decided they could take exit row seats because ׳another pax was sleeping' in their assigned E- seats, and tennis player who decided that they could get away with extra carry-ons by hiding behind the rule allowing them to bring tennis equipment on board. I get UA has their fair share of issues which they have brought on themselves, but there are just as many that are bitter pax that either make up stuff completely or exaggerate, using the public's hate for the airline to justify it and garner up support for themselves.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I strongly disagree with yelling at another yelling passenger. OP was fortunate that the DYKWIA didn't continue yelling at you and the GA, or worse yet, escalate the situation into a fistfight.

Sad that flying is a lower form of transportation, in terms of attitude and yelling and whatnot, than taking the city bus in the ghetto.
It's rarely a good idea for a third party to voluntarily get involved with (I just avoided a more rude term) a customer service dispute. You only know part of the story and it's really none of your business despite your well-meant sympathy for one side.

For all you know, the passenger dragged off of a previous flight by UA staff, or was kicked in the head by an off-duty area of the airport that isn't owned or leased by UA, etc. There are at least three sides to every dispute and interjecting a fourth one isn't helpful as it could make the customer more angry.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Kevin AA

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's rarely a good idea for a third party to voluntarily get involved with (I just avoided a more rude term) a customer service dispute. You only know part of the story and it's really none of your business despite your well-meant sympathy for one side.

For all you know, the passenger dragged off of a previous flight by UA staff, or was kicked in the head by an off-duty area of the airport that isn't owned or leased by UA, etc. There are at least three sides to every dispute and interjecting a fourth one isn't helpful as it could make the customer more angry.
I agree with both of you for the most part. In nearly all cases, Words + Volume alone aren't enough to justify a 3rd party reaction like mine. What ticked me off was the passenger coming around the back of the counter and throwing his phone down on the counter next to the gate agent. My gut reaction was to warn him off before he did anything really stupid (and in this case, it appeared to work). What if he had thrown the phone at the GA instead of on the counter? Still, you are absolutely right that I took a risk.

As for my reaction to seeing that his flight arrived 3 hours after mine, that was pure Schadenfreude. No excuses, especially if his motivation was a special event he missed.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's rarely a good idea for a third party to voluntarily get involved with (I just avoided a more rude term) a customer service dispute. You only know part of the story and it's really none of your business despite your well-meant sympathy for one side.....
That was exactly my thought when I first read this.

Not only do you have no clue what led up to things, you also undercut the authority of the person you're ostensibly helping out. The fact that the GA was a woman makes it even more dubious. Is she not able to handle these situations herself? Does she need the big authoritative male to step in and defend her with his big all-caps voice? Seems a little patronizing, doesn't it?

There's more than one side to a story. There's often more than one DYKWIA, too.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
4 get it
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
That was exactly my thought when I first read this.

Not only do you have no clue what led up to things, you also undercut the authority of the person you're ostensibly helping out. The fact that the GA was a woman makes it even more dubious. Is she not able to handle these situations herself? Does she need the big authoritative male to step in and defend her with his big all-caps voice? Seems a little patronizing, doesn't it?

There's more than one side to a story. There's often more than one DYKWIA, too.
File this stuff under the least possible resonate explanations / going on a fishing expedition file.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
OP: You do not know what the GA was dealing with. MYOB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.