Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQDs - "information on the eTicket receipt is only an estimate"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQDs - "information on the eTicket receipt is only an estimate"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chavala
Well, if this is true then thanks for saving me a lot of headaches trying to fight with them.
HOWEVER, I think they should have figured this all out ahead of time when they were quoting me PQDs. That is how I choose which ticket to buy. Believe it or not, it was actually cheaper to add that BNE segment on. (It would have been even cheaper if I flew R/T BNE!). Under $5200 for the entire ticket. Great, but I would have paid more if I had known at time of booking.
Absolutely it would be nice if they had their house in order quoting PQD figures! Unfortunately there are a ton of issues with the system, and we have whole threads dedicated to it.

I'm actually somewhat surprised the BNE segment made the ticket cheaper. I pulled a couple of business fares DFW-BNE and they are constructed as DFW-SYD plus $0. But none were even close to the $5k r/t you paid, so any number of interesting things could have been going on.

But the bottom line, though, is that there really is no reliable way to know how PQDs on a single fare component are allocated across segments. If all the segments earn PQD it's usually a moot point (since the total will be correct), but in this case it bites you. You'll notice all the segments changed between receipt and post; you can just imagine there is a "PQD" assigned to SYD-BNE you don't earn. This is even more frustrating if you need to change your trip at a stopover, and someone hand-waves some black magic about what percentage of the coupon has been consumed.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Absolutely it would be nice if they had their house in order quoting PQD figures! Unfortunately there are a ton of issues with the system, and we have whole threads dedicated to it.

I'm actually somewhat surprised the BNE segment made the ticket cheaper. I pulled a couple of business fares DFW-BNE and they are constructed as DFW-SYD plus $0. But none were even close to the $5k r/t you paid, so any number of interesting things could have been going on.

But the bottom line, though, is that there really is no reliable way to know how PQDs on a single fare component are allocated across segments. If all the segments earn PQD it's usually a moot point (since the total will be correct), but in this case it bites you. You'll notice all the segments changed between receipt and post; you can just imagine there is a "PQD" assigned to SYD-BNE you don't earn. This is even more frustrating if you need to change your trip at a stopover, and someone hand-waves some black magic about what percentage of the coupon has been consumed.
I thought it was amazing when I priced it out as well. I assumed it would be much more (pricing QF in Y). The only reason I didn't do the return was I wasn't sure at the time how many days I wanted in Sydney. It would have been about $100 cheaper.
Oh well. Lesson learned and at least I'm happy with the price, which may even be a mistake fare ?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Update: I asked for my email to be forwarded to a supervisor -- just got this.
I wish I knew if it was a mistake or are they just throwing me a bone to keep me happy.

Dear xxx,
Thanks for your reply.
Your email has been forwarded to me for review.
The additional $77.00 PQD and redeemable miles are now posted to your account. They will appear as an adjustment with the date of May 17, 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.