Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Travel/Weather Waivers: Ever Expanding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

I know that United has been a bit more pro-active in posting its travel/weather waivers as compared to years past. However, it seems like they have gone to a more extreme "in case of potential disruption, issue and post a waiver".

Just as a self protection/tracking maneuver, I've actually bookmarked the travelnotices#ExceptionPolicies page and check it a few times a week, especially during travel periods. When I see them post, I've tried to post them to the United | MP thread if others haven't already.

Obviously these waivers help the non-elites and "lesser" elites when rebooking. From a FT <meta> perspective, given that United has gone to the more frequent "it looks like a potential problem, waiver it" approach, should there be a view/recommendation of "first go look at the waiver" page?

David
Old May 26, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not just UA. I read something to the effect that the airlines find it's effectively a net cost reduction, in that rebooking becomes much less impacted when they have issued waivers before hand.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I am surprised FTers would complain about this. If anything, the added flexibility probably allows folks to take advantage of route / plane switches that are advantageous for free!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not complaining about it - I'm just commenting that United has greatly expanded what it will issue travel waivers for across the whole group of passengers affected instead of having no fees for changes for only those elites who already get their change fees waived.

Since United is gone to this approach, rather than posting multiple individual travel/weather waiver threads, perhaps a sticky thread might be useful where the latest waivers are posted in the wiki and all waivers are posted and kept in sequence as part of the day-to-day use of the thread.

This way, we can point newcomers and others to the waivers thread if they need the info as well as support individual threads for those events which have a large impact on the FT/travelling community.

David
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I for one am loving it.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DELee
I know that United has been a bit more pro-active in posting its travel/weather waivers as compared to years past. However, it seems like they have gone to a more extreme "in case of potential disruption, issue and post a waiver".

Just as a self protection/tracking maneuver, I've actually bookmarked the travelnotices#ExceptionPolicies page and check it a few times a week, especially during travel periods. When I see them post, I've tried to post them to the United | MP thread if others haven't already.

Obviously these waivers help the non-elites and "lesser" elites when rebooking. From a FT <meta> perspective, given that United has gone to the more frequent "it looks like a potential problem, waiver it" approach, should there be a view/recommendation of "first go look at the waiver" page?

David
I don't think there is any need to even bookmark the page or go look.
If there is an active waiver, the "Travel Advisories in effect" link will appear in the upper right on the UAL site. If there aren't any and you want to look anyways, there's a link at the bottom of home page. Unless I actually have a need to make a change, I have no reason to look. If I'm concerned about my own flights, it seems alot more reliable to look at flight status and the status of the incoming chain of flights.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
I'm not complaining about it - I'm just commenting that United has greatly expanded what it will issue travel waivers for across the whole group of passengers affected instead of having no fees for changes for only those elites who already get their change fees waived.
So should UA only let elites change flights during a travel waiver?

Personally I like that they do it a few days in advance to allow people to rebook or reroute ahead of time, have a look at the news articles from 2006 and 2003 when thousands of people were stuck at DEN during a snowstorm, proactive notification would have kept a lot of people out of there
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Similar threads have popped up in the AA and DL forums in recent times as well. I've noticed this, in particular, post the DL-ATL storm issue. Lots of proactive travel waivers, especially for NYC when rain/wind/clouds are going to throw us into ATC delays.

Seems a win-win IMO.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

United's Travel Waivers: Since January 2014

On United's Jetstream website (at least the public facing portion), here's a link to their master tracking list of travel waivers that's (according to the web page) updated 15 minutes and has all travel waivers going back to January 2014:
Note: depending on your server's/browser's connection, the page may take a little time to load since it is including all of the data since January 2014 and hiding it under monthly dropdowns.

David
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:20 am

I let myself get really annoyed at the frequent travel waivers every time there is a 20% chance of rain at a hub. After giving it some thought, it is a win-win for everyone, especially flyers.

What I think was annoying me about it is it's adding to the hysteria of the people who are pants wetting panic bunnies every time there is a thunderstorm. Have you watched your local news lately every time there are garden variety thunderstorms in your area? In Denver yesterday, the local news started off their broadcast with "5 team reporters" scattered around the metro area to report that it is about to rain or just rained. In the event of severe weather, you better be repenting your sins! And don't get me started about the meteorologists telling me or kids what to wear in the morning and throughout the day.

Weather became a source of entertainment in the last decade, for the most part thanks to the Weather Channel. So in order to get people to watch, everything is scary, everything is dangerous, everything requires you to pay attention...to them.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Starting with Maria, I've included the waiver parameter code that jetstream.united.com has so that folks can see what United Air Lines is offering with respect to the rebooking options and waived fees for that travel waiver.

Waiver parameter code legend included below.

David
Attached Images  
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Brick
I let myself get really annoyed at the frequent travel waivers every time there is a 20% chance of rain at a hub. After giving it some thought, it is a win-win for everyone, especially flyers.

What I think was annoying me about it is it's adding to the hysteria of the people who are pants wetting panic bunnies every time there is a thunderstorm.
I agree with your characterization of how sensationalized weather reporting has become, but as you also state, this is a win-win for flyers, and I'm glad UA is being more proactive in this regard.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2017 UA Travel Waiver Stats

Used data from: https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver

Ingested data available at: https://goo.gl/bJEi4Y

(with thanks to mduell!)

For 2017, UA posted 117 travel waivers with 697 separate airport references

1. By month:
Code:
 mon | #	 mon | #	 mon | #	 mon | #
-----+--	-----+--	-----+--	-----+--
 jan |16	 apr | 4	 jul |11	 oct |13
 feb | 7	 may | 7	 aug |14	 nov | 2
 mar | 7	 jun | 4	 sep |21	 dec |11

2. Most impacted airports:
Code:
airports 	 #	airports 	#
---------------+--	---------------+--
ewr/jfk/lga/hpn	25	ord		9
phl		18	iah		6
bos/bdl/pvd	11	alb/syr/pwm	6
bwi/dca/iad	10			

airports 	#	airports  		#
---------------+--	----------------------+--
ith/syr		5	abe/btv/yul		4
atl		5	cha/pns/vps		4
den		5	fuk/hnd/kix/hnd/ngo/nrt	4
sfo		5	acv/fat/mry/pdx/sjc/smf	4
sba		5
The remaining 3 through 1 airports:
(i.e. all other airports with 3, 2 or 1 waivers)
Code:
#	airports
-+--------------
3	   59
2	   63
1	   79

3. Event types (by group):

weather (general): 69
Code:
type		 #
---------------+--
winter		22
tropical	 9
severe		35
thunderstorms	 2
fog		 1
weather (badder): 27
Code:
type		 #
---------------+--
cyclone/TS	25
earthquake	 1
volcano		 1
man-made: 15
Code:
type		#
---------------+--
terrorism	3
power		3
technology	1
strike		5
unrest		1
pollution	1
closure		1
other not good: 6
Code:
type		#
---------------+--
fires		6

4. Waiver lengths:
Code:
  length	 #
---------------+--
  1 day		12
  2 days	30
  3 days	22
  4 days	19
  5 days	14
  6 days	 3
  7 days	 3
  8 days	 2
  9 days	 2
 10 days	 2
10+ days	 9
longest waivers:
Code:
 length		event
---------------+--------------------------------
57 days		Hurricane Irma - Leeward Islands
36 days		Hurricane Maria - Puerto Rico
33 days		Hurricane Irma - Puerto Rico
event with most waivers:
Code:
   #	event
-------+--------------
   9	Hurricane Irma
events affecting most airports:
Code:
   #	event
-------+--------------
  34	Pacific Coast Weather (January 18 - 20, 2017)
  34	Northeast US Winter Weather (March 14 - 15, 2017)
  23	Northeast US and Canada Winter Weather (March 18 - 19, 2017)
  22	Midwest and Central Plains Weather (January 13 - 16, 2017)

5. FT discussion threads:
Code:
# threads	percent
--------------+--------
    85		  73%
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.