Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New MileagePlus GO Visa Prepaid Card [site live as of 11 July 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club

This seems interesting. The new pre-paid card won't be issued by Chase, but by Netspend (never heard of them).

MileagePlus GO Visa Prepaid Card will be the first prepaid card in the U.S. offering a consumer the opportunity to directly earn miles for qualifying purchases made with a prepaid card
The card will be available summer 2017 and will reward cardholder spending with award miles that can be redeemed through United’s MileagePlus
Schwab Article

Link to official website (thanks aacharya!) https://www.mileageplusgo.com

Last edited by JHake10; May 23, 2017 at 12:11 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
MileagePlusGO {Netspend page}

Cleared for take off Summer 2017.

Check back for more details./
No mention in the Schwab article if this card will have traditional Chase card travel benefits ?

If it does not, will this lead to confusion? "I have a MP card!"
If it does, will this lead to more elite benefits dilution?

Wounder if this will be availability for those outside the USA?
Old May 23, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No mention in the Schwab article if this card will have traditional Chase card travel benefits ?
I find it odd that UA didn't go with Chase. I understand this isn't a traditional card, but you'd think UA would do this sort of thing with their current bank partner.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Quick research shows MetaBank is owner of NetSpend. MetaBank (in 2009): "MPS becomes the leading issuer of rebate and gift cards in the United States and worldwide, the No. 1 sponsor of ATMs in the nation and one of the top issuers of Visa, MasterCard and Discover prepaid cards".

I wonder if we'll start seeing UA gift cards at the retailer rack displays...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 23, 2017 at 12:42 pm Reason: closed quote
Old May 23, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Quick research shows MetaBank is owner of NetSpend. MetaBank (in 2009): "MPS becomes the leading issuer of rebate and gift cards in the United States and worldwide, the No. 1 sponsor of ATMs in the nation and one of the top issuers of Visa, MasterCard and Discover prepaid cards.

I assume these would basically be vouchers and expire in a year
Old May 23, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Quick research shows MetaBank is owner of NetSpend. MetaBank (in 2009): "MPS becomes the leading issuer of rebate and gift cards in the United States and worldwide, the No. 1 sponsor of ATMs in the nation and one of the top issuers of Visa, MasterCard and Discover prepaid cards".

i already see DL and WN gift cards at the grocery store. Though let's be clear..gift cards are completely different than prepaid Visa cards.

Im sure a lot of people would like that, I already buy gift cards for myself for a lot of stuff at the grocery store, as the benefits are greater. For example, rarely give a card to Amazon for purchases - almost always have a gift balance there - and got double miles on the CC spend at the grocery store, plus double points from the grocery store when buying gift cards for this. Almost always do that for A bunch of things...Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
...Though let's be clear..gift cards are completely different than prepaid Visa cards...
Correct, but it wouldn't be a big step once the relationship is established.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

NetSpend is owned by TSYS, who is the Processor, MetaBank will be the card issuer, among others, MetaBank does not own TSYS or NetSpend
Old May 23, 2017, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N104UA
NetSpend is owned by TSYS, who is the Processor, MetaBank will be the card issuer, among others, MetaBank does not own TSYS or NetSpend
ah..
Old May 23, 2017, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by N104UA
And more getting into the weeds
The MileagePlus GO Visa Prepaid Card is issued by Republic Bank & Trust Company, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Netspend, a TSYS® Company, is a registered agent of Republic Bank & Trust Company.
©2017Total System Services, Inc.® All rights reserved worldwide. TSYS® and NetSpend are federally registered U.S. service marks of Total System Services, Inc. All other trademarks and service marks belong to their owners.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The fun hidden world of card processing
Old May 23, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Looking forward to more ways to earn miles.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by oopl
Looking forward to more ways to earn miles.
Do you think this will offer any more ways to those who have a Chase UA or UR card?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott/SPG Platinum
United new prepaid card MileagePlus GO site now live

Couldn't find a thread for this, but the site is live AND with an $85 annual fee!!
Links to order and others not working or redirecting to homepage.

https://www.mileageplusgo.com/
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
It seems helf-tempting at first glance, but a close look at the fees involved make this a very, very bad deal.

Last edited by nerdbirdsjc; Jul 19, 2017 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.