Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fallout from Dao: Delay due to obstinate PAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fallout from Dao: Delay due to obstinate PAX

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Concur. And this is exactly why an LEO response is inappropriate.

Agree. This is the best solution. Simply say "Sir, if you do not take your assigned seat, your ticket will be cancelled, and you will not be flying with us today."

If the passenger refuses to leave, simply deboard the plane. If he continues to refuse to follow pilot orders he will be the only one left on the plane and then I have no problem with LEO response. A full evac is not something the airline will do lightly given the multitude of problems that delays create, so I don't expect we'd see this abused to avoid payment of sufficient VDB.

There has to be an appropriate middle ground between Dr. Dao and letting a single irrational passenger hold up an entire plane.
I believe this is close to what happened in this case. Passenger refused to cooperate during boarding, passengers were deplaned, plane was reboarded sans unruly passenger, flight continued after a 2 hour delay.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Several of you on this thread suggested banning the pax for life, and I agree with that. But in practice, unless the pax has a very unusual and unique name, how would the airline do this? How would the airlines ever ban a John Smith for life, without causing significant inconvenience to every John Smith? Remember TSA's No-Fly List.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
But in practice, unless the pax has a very unusual and unique name, how would the airline do this?
Your name, DOB and sex.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
Your name, DOB and sex.
Virtually all John Smiths are male, so adding sex does not help. And DOB on domestic flights can be faked, no one checks. So how can an airline ban a John Smith without inconveniencing all other John Smiths?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Several of you on this thread suggested banning the pax for life, and I agree with that. But in practice, unless the pax has a very unusual and unique name, how would the airline do this? How would the airlines ever ban a John Smith for life, without causing significant inconvenience to every John Smith? Remember TSA's No-Fly List.
Actually easier for the past few years since input of DOB is now required.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Virtually all John Smiths are male, so adding sex does not help. And DOB on domestic flights can be faked, no one checks. So how can an airline ban a John Smith without inconveniencing all other John Smiths?
DOB is checked on the TSA pre data, among others. But I agree with you that it isn't perfect.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by jamar
And that's why limits need to be clearly laid out, because what's ridiculous to one person isn't necessarily to another, otherwise everyone on this thread would have been in unanimous agreement.
Limits already exist. We do live in a civilized nation with laws.

Originally Posted by halls120
You're the one who said yes to my question about any means, not me.

Since you thankfully reject deadly force, what level of force do you consider acceptable?
I said "yes", because as a reasonable person would expect, I didn't think you were implying it to go as far as murder. Your intent was to just to distract from the debate. Enough.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So...whatever happened to the clown who delayed the Shanghai flight? I hope he didn't miss a Mensa meeting or anything...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 21, 2017 at 2:31 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.