Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reserve Seats for 4th of July International Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Dear All:

My wife and I (+baby) are booked on UA952 from Chicago to Munich on 4th of July. Only a few middle seats are available to reserve for free, but many premium seats for $150pp. Given that 4th of July is a busy travel day for domestic travel, is it equally busy for international travel?

At this point, I'm planning to not reserve any seats and plan to get seats assigned at the airport. But I'm afraid if I don't reserve seats in advance that we're getting bumped off the flight if it is full. Any advice on whether this international flight on 4th of July is typically full?

Thanks!

Last edited by enfinity; May 18, 2017 at 9:20 am Reason: More info
Old May 18, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
July 4 is a light travel day. You're likely safe on the IDB front, though the strategy obviously has other risks.

[Edited by Moderator after quoted member self-deleted post.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 18, 2017 at 10:02 am Reason: See note above.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick feedback! Given that no good seats (and no seats next to each other) are available to reserve for free & IDB is unlikely, what other risks would come with not reserving seats in advance?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:40 am

it's not a bad day for international, but there is some widebody pull downs.

mostly pacific (CTU, HGH, XIY, PEK)
Old May 18, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by enfinity
Given that no good seats (and no seats next to each other) are available to reserve for free & IDB is unlikely, what other risks would come with not reserving seats in advance?
They all relate to being separated and/or getting really crappy seats, so if you're already in that boat perhaps not so much to lose.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Don't wait until the airport. At T-24 the UA Silver elites get to try and move to E+. At that time, seats should open up in E- to reserve for free.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by tods27
Don't wait until the airport. At T-24 the UA Silver elites get to try and move to E+. At that time, seats should open up in E- to reserve for free.
May be a very light elite load on July 4, but certainly a good idea to check at T-24 and reevaluate.

I personally wouldn't follow the "wait until the gate" strategy, but it is a valid one that others have used.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Do you have three seats or 2+lap infant?

There are three blocked seats together in 35ABC. You could call and ask nicely if the agent could place your family there together there. They might turn you down as 46DEG are open.

If you do wait until the gate, do show up early and talk to the agent about seating your family together before they get swamped with other things.

ETA: Seat map from EF:
Attached Images    

Last edited by rustykettel; May 18, 2017 at 10:47 am
Old May 18, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
July 4 is a light travel day. You're likely safe on the IDB front, though the strategy obviously has other risks.

[Edited by Moderator after quoted member self-deleted post.]
From the seat map posted above, it appears to be a relatively empty flight with very few elites - Economy plus is almost totally open. So IDB highly unlikely . . . you can gamble that you might end up in E+ for free, or as others note, look at 24 hours out to see if seats open. Or try a call.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
From the seat map posted above....
...row 46 is available.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by drewguy
From the seat map posted above, it appears to be a relatively empty flight with very few elites - Economy plus is almost totally open. So IDB highly unlikely . . . you can gamble that you might end up in E+ for free, or as others note, look at 24 hours out to see if seats open. Or try a call.
Highly doubtful that OP will get free E+ seats. UA will want them to pay for those unless you get lucky. I definitely wouldn't wait to secure seats lest you are okay being totally separated. If it were me, I would select the row 46 seats together and then keep checking for better ones. PLus ask nicely at gate.

In addition, there is something to be said for the "privacy" you will have in row 46 plus less disturbance of other passengers from the infant.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr
Highly doubtful that OP will get free E+ seats. UA will want them to pay for those unless you get lucky.
Based on that seatmap, there's a decent chance that some number of pax without seat assignments will get free bumps to E+.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Really didn't expect so much great feedback--way to go!

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Do you have three seats or 2+lap infant?

There are three blocked seats together in 35ABC. You could call and ask nicely if the agent could place your family there together there.
We have 2 seats (lap infant). What's the name of this website/tool where you can see the blocked seats? Would you just call the UA customer service and ask for them to reserve us seats in row 35?

I was thinking of reserving seats in row 46, but then I thought once I make a move and reserve some seats, I won't be considered for better seats. But I guess I can reserve and see if something better comes up.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
We have 2 seats (lap infant). What's the name of this website/tool where you can see the blocked seats? Would you just call the UA customer service and ask for them to reserve us seats in row 35?
It's ExpertFlyer and it's a paid subscription serves that interfaces with airline backends to serve data.

You can ask, but I think your case for being seated there is pretty weak. They are blocked for special accommodation, but just being a couple with a lap infant when there are already 2 seats together elsewhere on the plane is not a strong case.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
At this point, I'm planning to not reserve any seats and plan to get seats assigned at the airport.
OP - Having read a lot of horror stories, keep in mind that UA has no obligation to put all of you together.

So while it might be worth to play the E+ lottery in hope of getting E+, there can be consequences for doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.