Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checking for award booking - something new? noting expanded inventory for elites & CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking for award booking - something new? noting expanded inventory for elites & CC

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

I was looking for an award ticket NRT-LAX today and I found the following remark
noted below the flight details "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus
Premier and Chase Cardmember
". Never seen this before and it shows only
on selected UA flight segments. For example the UA nonstop is not marked, but
the connection via SFO is. LAX-NRT UA nonstop is marked. However, there
still are no Business Saver Award available.

"UA 32
Aircraft typeBoeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Wifi onboardFlight advisories
Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier and Chase Cardmember"

Mods, if I am late as always would you please merge into existing thread?
Old May 7, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Never seen this before and it shows only
on selected UA flight segments. For example the UA nonstop is not marked, but
the connection via SFO is. LAX-NRT UA nonstop is marked. However, there
still are no Business Saver Award available.
It seems to come up on itineraries where XN > 0 and X = 0, or YN > 0 and HN = 0; in other words, it's trying to tag results that would differ for non-elite non-cardmembers.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Interesting. Makes sense as an advertising move, as most people would have no idea what the additional flights were from expanded availability.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It seems to come up on itineraries where XN > 0 and X = 0, or YN > 0 and HN = 0; in other words, it's trying to tag results that would differ for non-elite non-cardmembers.
What is YN and HN?
Old May 8, 2017, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
What is YN and HN?
Standard Award (YN = United CC or Elite, HN = No CC or non-elite).
Old May 8, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I also saw this for the first time a couple of days ago (YQB-IAD in December). While I've always heard that status (or, I guess, a credit card) was supposed to provide availability to more award options, this is the first time I've really seen this. Additionally, this routing comes up as 25k (one-way in E) if not logged in and, with the "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier and Chase Cardmember" message logged in it is 10k (rather than the expected 12.5k (as it is for the reverse flight).
Old May 8, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I caught this as well yesterday and wondered what it was. Took me a moment to figure out the savings as initially I missed the change in points required.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Portolan
I also saw this for the first time a couple of days ago (YQB-IAD in December). While I've always heard that status (or, I guess, a credit card) was supposed to provide availability to more award options, this is the first time I've really seen this. Additionally, this routing comes up as 25k (one-way in E) if not logged in and, with the "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Premier and Chase Cardmember" message logged in it is 10k (rather than the expected 12.5k (as it is for the reverse flight).
YQB-IAD is less than 700 miles. Saver economy should be 10K on that route.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I caught this as well yesterday and wondered what it was. Took me a moment to figure out the savings as initially I missed the change in points required.
My experience was that I had absolutely no F availability (saver let alone standard) in some domestic markets out of STL. That being said I've been having issues with regular availability as well for the summer. I know F is not sold out, and while I would expect there to be capacity control on P and Z fares, I don't know why F isn't showing as available.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:09 am

YQB-IAD is less than 700 miles. Saver economy should be 10K on that route.
Ah, didn't realize that since I rarely do domestic award tickets in economy (of any length) except when the revenue fares are unusually high. It must be dependent on routing since all the offerings for IAD to YQB (via Toronto, Montreal, and other locations, but not Newark) were 12.5k or 25k (non-saver). The return is via Newark which is certainly shorter as a total for the segments. So, not an unusually good deal, but still high-lighted a status/cc an option not otherwise available.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Portolan
Ah, didn't realize that since I rarely do domestic award tickets in economy (of any length) except when the revenue fares are unusually high. It must be dependent on routing since all the offerings for IAD to YQB (via Toronto, Montreal, and other locations, but not Newark) were 12.5k or 25k (non-saver). The return is via Newark which is certainly shorter as a total for the segments. So, not an unusually good deal, but still high-lighted a status/cc an option not otherwise available.
It's not dependent on routing, per se, but that discount is only applicable to UA flights. If there's an AC flight on the itinerary, it uses the partner pricing, which doesn't have the sub-700 mile discount.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:38 am

It's not dependent on routing, per se, but that discount is only applicable to UA flights. If there's an AC flight on the itinerary, it uses the partner pricing, which doesn't have the sub-700 mile discount.
Thanks, that makes sense.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw this yesterday and the itineraries with this label were crap. Couldn't believe they would have considered them a benefit compared to the non-exclusive flight options presented.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
I saw this yesterday and the itineraries with this label were crap. Couldn't believe they would have considered them a benefit compared to the non-exclusive flight options presented.
I guess this is a YMMV situation. On our YQB-IAD return described previously, this got us the best itinerary as a saver award not otherwise available.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:32 pm

This is extremely helpful. I was actually doing some searches today to decide if I wanted to keep my MPE since my annual fee was due. I opened two windows and searched for future trips, one logged in and one not. I found the results to be quite positive in general and this tag really helped to identify these.

For example, when looking SFO-AKL direct in economy for March 2018 there were 4 days that had availability when logged in that didn't have availability when not logged in. For example, on March 1st I can snag two different flight times at 40k Saver when logged in. When not logged in they're 85k. Other dates simply had more options. I think it's a great marketing move on their part and really makes it clear.

In most searches I ran, the awards available were either the most desirable of the options or #2 , #3 , #4 (or all of the above).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.