Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The PS flights were O/D on the JFK side, I highly doubt a large number were using star connections onward to Europe.

You'd have to be a real glutton for punishment if you think flying an offline-connection via crowded and delay prone airspace is a good idea.

I suppose its one thing if you're flying from some po-dunk mid-american city via EWR, but we're talking about SFO/LAX which have plenty of nonstop options to Europe, and you don't have to worry about an otherwise absurdly long connection in NYC to keep it safe.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by BearX220
Kirby makes the most unvarnished sense of any UA executive in the last 20 years. No coincidence that he came from outside. He's dead right here.

UA is not diving back into JFK in the short / medium term because, of course:

Also, right now the UA brand doesn't have the magnetism to re-attract fat corporate contracts away from AA. Most cost-is-no-object key influencers are probably not clamoring to fly United.
Sorry, but Kirby's statement fails a logic test. Failing at logic is the opposite of making sense. I think we're seeing another reason why AA let him go.

I'll go through the logic again for you. If leaving JFK was significantly a wrong move, they'd be planning to come back. If the only reason to not come back is the cost of lost physical and customer capital (customer capital can be recovered or increased in the long-run), then it proves it was a marginal operation at best, worthy of consideration to be cut. At worst it was a complete loser, and cutting it was the right move. So now calling it a "wrong decision" loses all basis in reason and indicates more of a personal statement against previous management. Kirby's statements conflict, no question.

And where are those fat corporate contracts for AA at SFO?

Originally Posted by sannmann
"It's never too late to do the right thing." -Oscar Munoz, CEO of United.
Ding! We have a winner!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
JetBlue and Delta and American already have United left with just scraps of scraps to eat, if UA were to try to go back into JFK with a substantial presence independent of the rest of the US carriers.
UA was already only operating scraps of service when it pulled out.
From JFK I used to fly UA to Europe and to South America. I was even ticketed to fly UA planes from JFK to Asia. UA at JFK used to be way more than just Dulles and California. And no, I'm not going back to the days of UA being Boeing -- I'm talking about UA service in the FT era.
UA killed that service more than a decade ago. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nited-airlines

I'm pretty sure that's not what Kirby was talking about.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by EWR764

15% margins at EWR is the other pretty impressive takeaway I have from that piece, especially compared to AA/DL.
There is another thread about UA not having to compete in EWR. Well, this just proves it. This is an outrageous profit margin for an airline!! This can only happen if there is insufficient competition. Proof positive UA does not have to compete in EWR.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Leaving New York’s JFK "Was the Wrong Decision"...

What a coincidence: that's exactly what I said on my UA post-flight survey asking about my p.s. EWR->SFO in March.

As a once/twice a year "P" fare customer on this route, I've never run an airline but, esp. coming back to pick up p.s. from Brooklyn or W. Conn., there's no question which terminal is easier and quicker to get to: JFK. And while JFK has some serious traffic issues getting to/from, so can EWR.

Once one gets to JFK, the customer experience is infinitely better in so many aspects: signage, check-in, TSA Pre check, distance between TSA or baggage claim and the gate/UC Club, avoiding the hordes of people in poorly designed piers in this mega-plex which EWR is, helpfulness of UA staff, etc., etc.

Only Q. I have is: when is UA returning p.s. to JFK??
Bolding mine: All United had to do was ask us
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by minnyfly
And where are those fat corporate contracts for AA at SFO?
Taken in context with Kirby's past at AA (buildup at LAX), what he's said since arriving at United (wants to build LAX back up for UA) and other things he discussed during the Q&A (entertainment contracts), it's clear he was referring to UA losing LAX-originating business when it exited LAX-JFK.

Originally Posted by blueman2
There is another thread about UA not having to compete in EWR. Well, this just proves it. This is an outrageous profit margin for an airline!! This can only happen if there is insufficient competition. Proof positive UA does not have to compete in EWR.
Maybe in the past, today, no longer... from the earnings call:

Scott Kirby

Excluding Florida. I mean, Newark was down 1%, and so I don't know. And actually, what's happened in Newark is there was a flood of low-cost carrier capacity, and for a long time, United Airlines did not match the prices. We started matching the prices and I think our revenues, while down in those markets, is down less than it was before. So, we feel really good about that strategy.

At least our incremental change in strategy and competing more aggressively with the low-cost carriers in Newark, I think, is revenue positive. To be clear, with all the capacity in Florida, PRASM is certainly down, but it was down even more before we decided to start competing aggressively.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/406...pt?part=single
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbm12
UA was already only operating scraps of service when it pulled out.

UA killed that service more than a decade ago. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...nited-airlines

I'm pretty sure that's not what Kirby was talking about.
UA had international service out of JFK within the FT era -- post-1998.

For years -- including in the 2000s -- UA had way more of an international long-haul network out of JFK than Delta. UA could have tried to be the Delta of JFK, but instead they were to be the Continental of Newark. Some may say this outcome is a product of corporate signaling (to limit competition) and of questionable, government-assisted industry support, and I wouldn't be disputing that.

I'm pretty sure Kirby is still American-focused and is indeed not complaining about the lack of UA international service at JFK in any way that will make UA be at JFK what it was within the past 20 years.

But international service at JFK from other carriers is eating into COdbaUA @EWR. EWR isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's still my idea of the armpit of NYC-area airports.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 21, 2017 at 11:07 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by EWR764
Taken in context with Kirby's past at AA (buildup at LAX), what he's said since arriving at United (wants to build LAX back up for UA) and other things he discussed during the Q&A (entertainment contracts), it's clear he was referring to UA losing LAX-originating business when it exited LAX-JFK.
Correct. Which is why it brings the motive and belief behind his statements into question. LAX-JFK is where UA had the most unique customers to lose by dropping JFK. We know there would be some losses there, offset by an unknown number of gains. But the elements of the decision go far beyond LAX. They go into EWR and SFO more. I question how UA can now have over double the number of PS flights on this day compared to 2 years ago and call it a "wrong decision". Clearly there have been major revenue gains in and beyond those routes.

At AA, LAX is everything to them. That's all they have on the West Coast, and Kirby will have that strategic perspective. His actions at AA and UA indicate he really cares about market share. That sounds like a poor reason to keep JFK.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:45 am

UA had international service out of JFK within the FT era -- post-1998.

For years -- including in the 2000s -- UA had way more of an international long-haul network out of JFK than Delta. UA could have tried to be the Delta of JFK, but instead they were to be the Continental of Newark. Some may say this outcome is a product of corporate signaling (to limit competition) and of questionable, government-assisted industry support, and I wouldn't be disputing that.
Please stop. You're chasing a silly argument with facts that are completely wrong.

The only time United had way more of an international long-haul network out of JFK than Delta was prior to Delta's acquisition of PanAm's European routes. Yes, United flew to more continents but it had many, many fewer destinations, passengers, RPMs, etc.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Sorry, but Kirby's statement fails a logic test. Failing at logic is the opposite of making sense. I think we're seeing another reason why AA let him go.

I'll go through the logic again for you. If leaving JFK was significantly a wrong move, they'd be planning to come back. If the only reason to not come back is the cost of lost physical and customer capital (customer capital can be recovered or increased in the long-run), then it proves it was a marginal operation at best, worthy of consideration to be cut. At worst it was a complete loser, and cutting it was the right move. So now calling it a "wrong decision" loses all basis in reason and indicates more of a personal statement against previous management. Kirby's statements conflict, no question.
Your "logic" assumes that time is static, and the same conditions exist now that existed at the time of the decision. It is not a valid comparison. The act of United abandoning JFK has altered the decision matrix.

Kirby has the benefit of hindsight, so it is not really a sign of brilliance now. But the biggest take-away from me is that United finally has an executive that can think beyond a spreadsheet.

The overall network, the frequent flier program, customer service, etc are all factors which drive revenue and yields. Decisions to cut any of these areas lead to further consequences where are not easily captured in forecasts.

Getting that is the difference between a leader and a data analyst.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
What? SMI/J made a mistake? It can't be!!!! He was perfect
Slimeball thought calling it "New York / Newark" would be same diff

as with 99% of things, PMUA had the business analysis correct. p.s.means SFO/LAX-JFK

Nothing p. about New Jersey

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2017 at 12:15 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
What I find funny, people are still defending the move today, even though the President of the actually airline said it was a bad move.

UA lost corporate contracts that are affecting some west coast operations. You can defend EWR vs JFK, but the PRESIDENT of UNITED said it was a bad move to pull out of JFK. How anyone can actually continue to try to defend the move is just amazing.

As hard as you try, EWR is not NY for people from across the country and world.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
From JFK I used to fly UA to Europe and to South America. I was even ticketed to fly UA planes from JFK to Asia. UA at JFK used to be way more than just Dulles and California. And no, I'm not going back to the days of UA being Boeing -- I'm talking about UA service in the FT era.
JFK-LHR/NRT were nice options.

PMUA dropped the NRT option (and LHR, though that one i can imagine was thin margin)
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
What I find funny, people are still defending the move today, even though the President of the actually airline said it was a bad move.

UA lost corporate contracts that are affecting some west coast operations. You can defend EWR vs JFK, but the PRESIDENT of UNITED said it was a bad move to pull out of JFK. How anyone can actually continue to try to defend the move is just amazing.

As hard as you try, EWR is not NY for people from across the country and world.
The UA President said it was bad because it was bad for business and the customer perception of people based elsewhere. The people defending it are defending it based upon their own personal set of logistics for travel to the particular parts of the NY Metro area that they personally travel - so there is no inherent contradiction here. Both perspectives can be and are entirely valid.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussion Reminder

This has always been a hot topic on the UA forum and does seem to get strong responses. But while expressing your opinions and disagreeing are fine, remember one of the cardinal FT rules
12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
If another member gets personal with you, do not retaliate. Retaliation may well subject you to the same discipline. Instead, please use the 'Alert a moderator to this thread' button in the lower-left-hand-corner of each post, send a note explaining your concern to the moderator team, and leave it to them to handle.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.