Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wow, after reading many of the posts... (UA pilot post)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by Kacee
So there are several things the captain can do which significantly improve the passenger experience.

The first is to communicate, frequently, candidly, and sympathetically, about delays. It's really frustrating to be kept in the dark, particularly when the status of the departure affects the likelihood of making an onward connection, or making an important appointment at the destination.

Another is to turn off the seatbelt sign as soon as it's safe. Sometimes it's left on for five hours of absolutely smooth flying. That's a really uncomfortable place to be as a passenger, particularly if you didn't have time to hit the restroom before take-off.
Agree on the seat belt sign, 100%. As to announcements, I try to constantly keep the paxs updated on delays, connections, etc. My briefing to the flight attendants is always to make sure we communicate as often as possible as well. I'm sure not every crew does this on a consistent basis, but a lot of us are trying...
zoechow likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by 757FO
Hmmm... Is it your money, or that of your employer?
In my case my clients (90% of the time, private 10%). In either case, it doesn't matter where the funds came from if I'm the one choosing the route/airline.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
I would argue, safety is the most critical thing, and the most important thing to be excellent at.
Welcome to FT.
As far as the role of safety in air travel, I bet not a single FT-er would disagree with you.
FYI, the content of FT has not been "normal" most recently, as you might expect. FT'ers understand that UA doesn't normally drag passengers off their airplanes, but unfortunately that's what happened last week...for all the world to see. And since actions have consequences, UA must now face the music they created, to the regret of many loyal FTers, as you have observed by the volume and content of FT posts since you joined. The good news is--if we are to believe Mr. Munoz, who ironically was recently awarded for his communication skills--important lessons have been learned and will be implemented by UA management in the future.
"Normally," FT is a priceless forum of information/comments/queries shared by frequent or inquisitive customers of UA, information that UA does not necessarily disclose, but nonetheless is privy to. Hopefully, you will continue to participate as desired and share your unique perspective with us.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by jmanirish
While some people do use the term kettle with disdain or implied negative connotation (from the whole Ma and Pa Kettle), it's really taken on its own meaning of 'inexperienced traveler' (as linked in the official glossary). If you replace kettle with 'inexperienced traveler' in your mind next time you see it, you'll see it's not usually used maliciously.
Kettle is tame- wait until the gate lice threads pop up around busy travel seasons 😂😂
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by riphamilton

and if it helps, the 757/767 is probably the most preferred fleet on UA FT! especially when channel 9 is turned on.
Glad to hear this! And I always make sure channel 9 is active when able.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Agree on the 75-76 being the best birds in the sky-still.

It will be a sad day when the 75's are replaced. Especially if Boeing doesn't attempt a new MOM design and instread relies on the tubular torture chamber in the sky known as the 737-900...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:37 pm

And to those who refer to the traveling public who don't fly often as kettles, come on, if you were so damn important, you would be flying private aviation, not pontificating over how important you are because you fly more often than someone else, and complaining you didn't get a PDB on a flight.
I'm quite glad to have folks like you at the pointy end of the airplanes whenever I board a US commercial airliner.

That said, the term used at the other "professional pilots" online forum for kettle is self-loading freight
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by riphamilton
over the past week, there has been a massive influx of people from outside of the 'core' of the FT UA forum. generally, i think the forum on a day-to-day place is fairly civilized and has a lot of productive, professional discussion (i.e., spin88's economic analyses).

anyone visiting the forum in the past few days is certainly not getting an accurate sample of how this place normally functions. i've purposely avoided the discussion in UA3411 related threads (there are way too many of them, btw) because of how heated some people get, and how deeply invested they become in proving their opinion. it's not worth my time.

i'm not sure if you've lurked for longer than your join date, but if that's the case, i'd urge you to stick around. as aacharya said, we're not that bad! a few of your colleagues are active posters, and threads like the "ask a pilot" thread are full of great discussion that goes both ways. many of us participate in events like SFO family day, and there are neat programs like FFG (frequent flyer giving) that team up with UA to give to charity. to many here, UA employees are extended family.

and if it helps, the 757/767 is probably the most preferred fleet on UA FT! especially when channel 9 is turned on.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
In my case my clients (90% of the time, private 10%). In either case, it doesn't matter where the funds came from if I'm the one choosing the route/airline.
Fair enough, and certainly agree. Look, airline ops is an unbelievably complicated undertaking, but yes, we can and should do better in many cases, what happened last week is a perfect example of how quickly things can go wrong, when common sense and empowering people go the wrong way...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
I'm quite glad to have folks like you at the pointy end of the airplanes whenever I board a US commercial airliner.

That said, the term used at the other "professional pilots" online forum for kettle is self-loading freight
Yep, I have some "trash hauler" friends and they love to joke about that!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:49 pm

My first flight was on United 48 years ago. Since then have paid for and flown thousands of flights and millions of miles.

Since then the planes have become far more crowded, cramped and the seats are much harder. The passengers, the gate agents and the flight attendants are in a very toxic situation.

The 737 width was based on the 707 width set in the early 1950's allegedly sized to accommodate the body width of US military personnel who grew up in the great depression and subject to food shortages during WW II. The 767 had a coach cabin of a comfortable 2-3-2, and Airbus 330 / 340 a comfortable 2-4-2, and the 777 a little less comfortable 3-3-3. Now the 777 is seeing 10-across in coach, and the A-350 and 787 a tight and uncomfortable 3-3-3 in a more narrow cabin width. The new seats are park bench hard and you bottom sides hurts when you get off the plane. The new 737 bathrooms even have an indentation to accommodate the seat back and the sinks are so narrow you cannot even wash your hands. You have obnoxious seat poachers in E+. You have the Kettles, when they are not poaching E+, who stick their bare foot and the back of your armrest actually touching your elbow. The Kettle next to you keeps sticking their elbow in your side. No consideration for others. etc. etc.

Too many flights with smaller planes selectively cancelled due to weather delays. Your flight is late landing because of a mechanical and your connecting flight is sitting with its door closed right across from your arrival gate 9 minutes before scheduled departure with several connecting standing there in amazement. etc. etc.

You get off a plane ready to explode like a volcano, and you turn to FlyerTalk and other outlets to let off the steam. Certainly a far better way to raise the issue and hope the airlines listen rather than complaining on the airplane.

Complaining to the staff on an airplane often only adds tension to an already stressed day for both the airline personnel and the passenger. Often the gate agent and flight attendant are also the victims of a same tense environment that created the situation that we are all subject to.

So even if I am dissatisfied with the service and the flight, on departing the plane I generally say thank you giving the employee the benefit of the doubt.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:54 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
If you truly want to learn and perhaps find a captain to emulate, I would suggest googling Captain Denny Flanagan. You perhaps heard of him or knew him at UA. He was certainly well loved here and made time to meet many of us on his layovers. And FlyerTalkers were generous in giving to his charities. He was without doubt the best of United.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
... And I always make sure channel 9 is active when able.
Curious if you could further expand on "when able" and what decision making goes into channel 9 being on or off?

Recent trip ORD>GRU was on after I asked then turned off somewhere over SA, return flight was off the whole time.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Thank you for joining us 757FO. Sadly there are very few employees on this board. I think that's one reason why it seems so awful. We have no one to complain to except each other.

When I read your initial post I thought "oh gee another jerk UA employee" but after reading the replies and your replies I can see it's just a miscommunication of terms. "kettles", "gate lice" etc are terms we use against each other, kind of like pilots refer to "Bi...in' Betty" on the MD-80 (only example I can think of, and yes I realize that kettles are real people whereas Bi...in' Betty is a computer).

It would be nice to have UA gate agents or flight attendants on this board, but I suspect they would have a hard time getting anything to post to the forum because the foam that comes out of their mouths clogs up the keyboard.

I've never had an issue with an airline pilot, on any airline. The other staff, on the hand, need some retraining or this airline is going bu-bye.

Last edited by Kevin AA; Apr 17, 2017 at 7:06 pm Reason: FT censors out the name of the computerized voice on an MD-80?!!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l'etoile
If you truly want to learn and perhaps find a captain to emulate, I would suggest googling Captain Denny Flanagan. You perhaps heard of him or knew him at UA. He was certainly well loved here and made time to meet many of us on his layovers. And FlyerTalkers were generous in giving to his charities. He was without doubt the best of United.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Truly a class act, I know him well...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Thank you for joining us 757FO. Sadly there are very few employees on this board. I think that's one reason why it seems so awful. We have no one to complain to except each other.

When I read your initial post I thought "oh gee another jerk UA employee" but after reading the replies and your replies I can see it's just a miscommunication of terms. "kettles", "gate lice" etc are terms we use against each other, kind of like pilots refer to "Bi...in' Betty" on the MD-80 (only example I can think of, and yes I realize that kettles are real people whereas Bi...in' Betty is a computer).

It would be nice to have UA gate agents or flight attendants on this board, but I suspect they would have a hard time getting anything to post to the forum because the foam that comes out of their mouths clogs up the keyboard.

I've never had an issue with an airline pilot, on any airline. The other staff, on the hand, need some retraining or this airline is going bu-bye.
Your not the only one, I've had to deal with nasty gate agents and even flight attendants on my own airline, many times. I almost always make sure to notify the company when I encounter a bad apple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.