Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Swiss charges for the "good seats" with UA award tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss charges for the "good seats" with UA award tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Because it's offensive if you've paid $6K for a business class ticket to be forced to pay another $199 for a decent seat (and there are very few decent seats on the LX 340).

This is just a change from one nasty, arrogant LX policy to another.
*A isn't alone in that. British Air (OW) charges for seat assignments, and there are far more "bad" seats in Club World (their J cabin) than what I'm seeing on the LX seat maps.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:57 am

Seems like LX and BA are now the only carriers charging for C seat reservation. Although BA charges for all, while LX seems to be limited to the throne. This is a new direction they are going and I have a feeling that these two airlines will very soon be joined by the rest of them.

Example : I was ready to pull the trigger on a BA C sale BKK-AMS at $ 1,500 a piece r/t. So for
two pax the total amounted to $ 3,000. But then add 400 Euros for seat reservation and it's about
a little less than an additional 15 percent. Of course you don't have to make a seat reservation and wait until T-24, but then sitting together as a couple or avoiding the two center seats in a 4 seat row is not guaranteed.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
I was ready to pull the trigger on a BA C sale BKK-AMS at $ 1,500 a piece r/t. So for two pax the total amounted to $ 3,000. But then add 400 Euros for seat reservation and it's about a little less than an additional 15 percent. Of course you don't have to make a seat reservation and wait until T-24, but then sitting together as a couple or avoiding the two center seats in a 4 seat row is not guaranteed.
Seat choice is especially important with a cabin configuration like BA's. They're basically capitalizing on the crappiness of their J cabin.

BA currently leading race to the bottom among the legacy/flag carriers.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Example : I was ready to pull the trigger on a BA C sale BKK-AMS at $ 1,500 a piece r/t. So fortwo pax the total amounted to $ 3,000. But then add 400 Euros for seat reservati on and it's about
On the other hand: Two TATL in C + a connection in C to Europe makes you BA bronze and thus allowing you to select seats in advance (a week IIRC). For anyone flying BA long haul in C at least once a year, it's not going to be an issue.

Originally Posted by Kacee
... but based on my LX experiences, I would opt for OS in a heartbeat.
I would too. Recently I had a bad experience on LX on the way back from HKG. OS to NRT (late 2015) was far more pleasant and gave me an occasion to stop off in Vienna. YMMV.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Do swiss and Austrian have the same seats on their 777's?

I have the option to take Austrian out of LAX instead... assume austrian doesn't charge?
I'm on award tickets LAX-VIE-BUD and TXL-VIE-LAX and didn't get charged to select a throne seat so if you're booking paid I don't see a problem.

I flew LX J NRT-ZRH and didn't think it was anything special, couple that with the crappy F seat I had on the A340 ZRH-SFO and I don't feel much urge to do LX again if I have too. Plus, I am excited to try the OS catering.

I will possibly switch one of the flights to LH F if it opens up in the travel window closer to the dates.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
question... if I pay the $199 for the seat on LX, but then cancel my UA award reservation, is that $199 refunded?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
question... if I pay the $199 for the seat on LX, but then cancel my UA award reservation, is that $199 refunded?
https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/book/con...l#t-page=pane2
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Flying Swiss next month in paid J. I logged in to see what it showed for the throne seat and it showed that it would cost me $199.00 each way extra for those seats. There are 4 of us traveling so I reserved paired seats couple months ago. Makes sense. If they are going to be charging paid J class passengers, I don't see anything wrong with charging for redemption tickets.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:14 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'm on award tickets LAX-VIE-BUD and TXL-VIE-LAX and didn't get charged to select a throne seat so if you're booking paid I don't see a problem.
Same experience here. Booked VIE-LAX on an award recently, and had no problem grabbing an OS throne for my wife. I'm happy sitting across from "the princess" in the center.

Eastbound our award is LAX-ZRH on LX, and no throne seats even showed available. So no idea if they were going to try and extort $199.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
OS to NRT (late 2015) was far more pleasant and gave me an occasion to stop off in Vienna. YMMV.
Bummer, they dropped the route last year. now HKG is the farthest they go and not easy to connect out of NRT.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:39 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
UA Stock swiss J flight, can't pay for throne seat unless flt numbers changed to LX

I have a paid J ticket on LX for GVA-JFK, which I booked through UA. I called LX today to request one of the throne seats, by paying for it of course. But the agent told me it cannot be done unless UA changes the flight numbers to true LX flight numbers. Is that true? Or should I try calling and asking a different agent?
Old May 2, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
But again, given that these seats were wholly unavailable to non-LX-elites before this change, I'm scratching my head as to how this is can be viewed negatively. Often they used to go out empty -- which as I point out above is how I lucked into one.
Hmm. I flew in paid J on LX in fall 2014 and saw some non-blocked "throne seats" on ZRH-BOS which were available for selection. I know that a lot of those seats were reserved for elites only (and now elites or buy-ups only).

Other times that airlines have charged for specific J seats:

* BA notably charges for upper-deck 747 seat assignments.

* When UA operates a three-class 777 which is sold as 2 classes of service, they sometimes allocate the GlobalFirst seats to Global Services passengers but do not otherwise make them available for assignment. If you are a J pax and ask very, very, very insistently, UA may offer to seat you in the F cabin with F seats and J service for about $2900 (I once asked very insistently but didn't end up taking the offer).

* When LH was removing their best-in-the-sky "seat and a bed" 744 F configuration, they sometimes operated a 744 with J service but let you pay €499 to sit upstairs.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by S.R
I have a paid J ticket on LX for GVA-JFK, which I booked through UA. I called LX today to request one of the throne seats, by paying for it of course. But the agent told me it cannot be done unless UA changes the flight numbers to true LX flight numbers. Is that true? Or should I try calling and asking a different agent?
I believe it's actually an issue of the LX (and all LH group) systems being unable to collect fees on an 016 ticket so I'm not sure native flight number helps. It's the same problem for seat selection in Y on LH flights.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:52 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Gig103
*A isn't alone in that. British Air (OW) charges for seat assignments, and there are far more "bad" seats in Club World (their J cabin) than what I'm seeing on the LX seat maps.
No. Not all BA pax are charged for seats. As a OWE (QF), I am not charged for seats - whether in Business or Economy - and that includes exit rows.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
No luck even selecting seats (UA Business Award flight, EWR-ZRH, 016 ticket):

"Reserve seat
This option is not available for your flight"

Side note: and I had difficulties logging it at first. Apparently SWISS requires a middle name to be entered without space, such as: Frank Brian Smith as Frankbrian Smith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.