Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Appreciate advise for quick trip to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MM

Used two expiring GPU's for an April mileage run from the US to Melbourne Australia where I found R space. First time on a Dreamliner flight and looking forward to it. I will arrive in the early am and depart the following day in the early am giving me one day and evening in Melbourne. A few quick questions for the Australia experts. Is the electronic visa the way to go for this quick trip? Any suggestions for a reasonable but handy hotel near the airport for departing the next morning? What are recommended sites to visit with only one day? Will Melbourne have an arrival lounge option for business class and a departure lounge? Is this LAX-Melbourne flight considered to be a Polaris flight? Any other Dreamliner or Australia tips are welcome. Always appreciate the useful advise from flyertalk.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by OmahaUnitedMM
Is the electronic visa the way to go for this quick trip?
It's my understanding that this is required if you're passing immigration (assuming US citizenship). I've gotten it for a 2 day trip from LAX to SYD. It's pretty easy and quick to obtain. Not sure what you meant by 'is the EVisa the way to go'?

Will Melbourne have an arrival lounge option for business class and a departure lounge?
I don't believe there's an arrival lounge. However, some hotels understand that the flights from the US arrive super early in the AM and have 'arrival lounges' at least in my experience. I don't have enough experience in Melbourne to make any recommendations, but I would look into this, especially since you're doing a quick turnaround.

There's a Singapore Airlines Lounge and a Air New Zealand Lounge for your departure. I prefer the Air New Zealand, but you can feel free to lounge hop if you so desire. I believe both have showers. I also believe the Air New Zealand Lounge is being renovated right now, so the Singapore may be a better bet? Not sure.

Is this LAX-Melbourne flight considered to be a Polaris flight?
Yes. Polaris in the soft product only (PJ's, slippers, updated food/wine offerings, gel pillow/mattress). The hard product will be the 787's standard seats (which I have always gotten a good rest on).

Any other Dreamliner or Australia tips are welcome.
Most people love the bulkhead seats on the 787. 1D/E or 6D/E seem to be the standard consensus of the best seats if you want aisle access and a wide footrest. If you want a window seat (and plan on looking out the window) then again, bulkhead will ensure the wide footrest, but you lose your aisle access.

Last edited by laxmillenial; Mar 29, 2017 at 11:31 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
First, the bad news - Australia has no arrival lounges. Like, anywhere. The second bad news is that your designated departure lounge is the Air New Zealand lounge - which is currently closed for refurbishment. Until it reopens, you're going to be holed up in a temporary lounge- or you can head to the SQ lounge.

As to Visas - you can get a Visa, but there's no point. You should simply apply for an ETA which will give you up to 90 days Visa free entry (but only lasts 12 months). You'll be able to self-clear passport control, but still experience the quick grilling from immigration officials. The State Department has the most up to date information for your circumstance.

I shall leave it to other tourists to answer your hotel and attraction questions!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
EasyETA.com is quick and easy for your electronic visa and they were actually cheaper than going directly to the Australian government. I think we had it done in about 20 minutes online. We had 3 days so we stayed in the CBD so I can't comment on airport hotels but there is a free tram that circles the CBD and that services most of the downtown area. If you like markets, visit the Victoria Market. We enjoyed walking along the Yarra River and seeing the people and the mixed of architecture. April is fall for Melbourne so dress in layers. Be sure to explore some of the lanes (we call them alleys) that are filled with shops and lots of good restaurants in the CBD.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
you have to get an ETA online prior to departure (instant processing, $20). if you want an australian passport stamp, go through a non-ETA immigration line and ask for one.

as the poster above mentioned, walk the yarra. there's a ton of neat restaurants there. note that MEL is far from the city center, and the transport links aren't great. the sky bus is the only(?) direct option, and it's $35 round trip. uber is everywhere you'll be. touring the MCG is worth it, if you're a sports fan.

if you want to get shopping done in order to bring back food to the US, do it early in the day as even many shops in the city close around 4-5pm. the vegemite/cheese pastry available at most bakeries and woolworth's is a must try. i'll reluctantly admit that on my last trip, i got hooked on mcdonald's truffle and parmesan fries (as well as $4.99 pizzas from dominos). if you're into yogurt, australia has the best i've ever had - try the gippsland brand.

other than wine, alcohol is significantly more expensive than in the states (US$20+ for a 6pk of beer). the craft beer sector isn't as developed there, although it is emerging. "fat yak" is the equivalent of sam adams. i'd bring back some bundaberg rum; the best price i found for this was at duty-free on the way home. MEL has a large and bright duty-free mall that you must walk through after exit control. skip that one, and then you'll walk by another shop that will be on your left. they'll have the better prices. just remember to put the alcohol into your checked baggage before you re-check your bags after US customs. my last UA99 arrived at TBIT.

since you're only doing a day, it's critical that you sleep as much as possible once you leave LAX. that shouldn't be too difficult, as your body would want to sleep around departure time. the cabin is kept dark throughout the flight, and the plane is in darkness until about an hour or so before arrival. don't forget to hit the magnificent *A lounge at LAX!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gene2632
EasyETA.com is quick and easy for your electronic visa and they were actually cheaper than going directly to the Australian government.
I would avoid this site if only because of the clear fraudulant statement made on the homepage about price.

Compare us today: EasyETA $9.95 | Australian Government $20 + Account Required
Except they fail to mention that's US$9.95 v's A$20. Which makes the real difference about US$10 v's US$15 - still more expensive to go via the "official" route, but if they are willing to make clearly incorrect claims like that I'm not sure I'd be trusting them...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
I would avoid this site if only because of the clear fraudulant statement made on the homepage about price.

Except they fail to mention that's US$9.95 v's A$20. Which makes the real difference about US$10 v's US$15 - still more expensive to go via the "official" route, but if they are willing to make clearly incorrect claims like that I'm not sure I'd be trusting them...
I noticed that too. I wouldn't use them either.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I was just there a few weeks ago. Go to the central business district (CBD). If you like Asian fare, Ho Chi Mama's is awesome Vietnamese food. There is a free 2hr (but expect donation) walking tour of city that starts at library in the CBD. Highly recommend doing some sort of walking tour as you'll get lots of local info.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:45 am

http://wikitravel.org/en/Melbourne
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Wow! that is a quick trip
I lived most recently in Melbourne before moving to Chicago.. Just love the place..

Foodie? Must go to Lygon street, around 5pm.. There will be people out the front harassing you to eat to their restaurant (because an empty restaurant remains empty).. You can often snag good deals..

Another amazing place to eat is Cookie.. Google it..

Yeah.. getting from the airport is far from ideal.. I would just Uber it.. once downtown get a MiKi at any convenience store and load it up with $40 ish and use the Trams.. Trams rock.

Looking for a nice walk: Go to southbank..

As for your questions as stated above: YES: use the AusGovt website.. You will not be allowed on the plane without an ETA.
I have done Polaris (Lite, no new seat) a few times MEL-LAX and SYD-MEL.. No real different (yet) from old BF IMHO.. Best positive change was the PJs but make sure you ask as they are not offered.

Lounge wise: As stated, allow a long layover/departure in LAX and go to the *A lounge in TBIT.. It is awesome and worth the walk.. On the way out of Melbourne you will have access to the NZ lounge.. Last time I was there it was not finished yet but I believe it should be now.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
I have done Polaris (Lite, no new seat) a few times MEL-LAX and SYD-MEL.. No real different (yet) from old BF IMHO.. Best positive change was the PJs but make sure you ask as they are not offered.
IMO the bedding is also a huge step up. Pajamas are offered depending on the crew, but always available if you ask.

Lounge wise: As stated, allow a long layover/departure in LAX and go to the *A lounge in TBIT.. It is awesome and worth the walk.. On the way out of Melbourne you will have access to the NZ lounge.. Last time I was there it was not finished yet but I believe it should be now.
When I checked in this month for MEL-LAX, I was told to go to the CX J lounge. We actually decided to go to the NZ lounge instead (so I can't verify the desk agent was correct).. it is being renovated but I'm not sure it's all that different compared to other options as NZ, SQ, and CX all have lounges in a little basement-like area below the terminal floor. NZ lounge was decent IMO, but had no windows (I'm skeptical anything down there does but we didn't do a lounge tour).

+1 for the *A TBIT lounge. If you have an onward connection on the return to LAX you'll arrive in TBIT and can just head upstairs to the lounge. Otherwise it's quite nice but I might have to go against the grain here and say I'm not convinced it's worth the 30-40 min return walking from T7 to TBIT unless you wanted the walk anyway (helps if you don't have bags).

The 787-9 is a nice plane, and as mentioned rows 1 and 6 tend to be popular, with the note that the lav at door 1R can be annoying if you're seated in 1E or 1K. We were in 1AB and that was pretty much perfect.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The NZ lounge at MEL has huge windows that face out to the parking positions of the planes at the gates above it. They may be covered up for renovations, I was there a few months ago.

Also to OP just go through the official AUS gov't site for your online ETA, why give a 3rd party your personal info?

Personally I like staying around St. Kilda which is on the opposite side of Melbourne's CBD as Tullamarine so I would say it's probably not that great for a day trip.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
The NZ lounge at MEL has huge windows that face out to the parking positions of the planes at the gates above it. They may be covered up for renovations, I was there a few months ago.
Ah, that would make sense. Yes, the windows are not there right now during renovations.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
IMO the bedding is also a huge step up. Pajamas are offered depending on the crew, but always available if you ask.

When I checked in this month for MEL-LAX, I was told to go to the CX J lounge. We actually decided to go to the NZ lounge instead (so I can't verify the desk agent was correct).. it is being renovated but I'm not sure it's all that different compared to other options as NZ, SQ, and CX all have lounges in a little basement-like area below the terminal floor. NZ lounge was decent IMO, but had no windows (I'm skeptical anything down there does but we didn't do a lounge tour).

+1 for the *A TBIT lounge. If you have an onward connection on the return to LAX you'll arrive in TBIT and can just head upstairs to the lounge. Otherwise it's quite nice but I might have to go against the grain here and say I'm not convinced it's worth the 30-40 min return walking from T7 to TBIT unless you wanted the walk anyway (helps if you don't have bags).

The 787-9 is a nice plane, and as mentioned rows 1 and 6 tend to be popular, with the note that the lav at door 1R can be annoying if you're seated in 1E or 1K. We were in 1AB and that was pretty much perfect.
I can confirm that the CX lounge is available to UA flyers in MEL. I was also directed there (Feb 2016) and checked it out after visiting the NZ lounge first. I preferred the CX food (they had mini Aussie meat pies as well as dim sum) to the NZ food, but the NZ lounge certainly had nicer views thanks to a bunch of windows (although apparently not right now during renovation).

For your reference, the CX lounge is listed here as UA's lounge in MEL:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ations/bf.aspx
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Wow! that is a quick trip
How about this for a quicker trip? Some years back (2010, IIRC), the BH's were pursuing status (when it was just miles, no$$) we did a 6 hr turn-around SFO-SYD-SFO. Arrival in the morning, into town, browsed the street market in the Rocks, back to the airport, boarded flight & back to SFO. Already had a valid ETA from an earlier trip. Nowadays, an efficient way is look for a good P fare, score bonus PQM's & PQD's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.