Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Appreciate advise for quick trip to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Appreciate advise for quick trip to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by gene2632
EasyETA.com is quick and easy for your electronic visa and they were actually cheaper than going directly to the Australian government.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Uber can not pick up from MEL, only drop off. Uber was A$20 less than taxi on my sample of 2 round trips this week.

2 hotels on property, Holiday Inn & Ibis.

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Mar 29, 2017 at 3:32 pm Reason: added info on fares
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by findark
The 787-9 is a nice plane, and as mentioned rows 1 and 6 tend to be popular, with the note that the lav at door 1R can be annoying if you're seated in 1E or 1K. We were in 1AB and that was pretty much perfect.
Are those the best seats for a couple who wants a window aisle pair? No problem with light/noise from the galley?

Also, looks like the NZ MEL lounge is due open in May 2017.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zealand-s-new-melbourne-airport-lounge-to-open-by-may
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Are those the best seats for a couple who wants a window aisle pair? No problem with light/noise from the galley?
I think so. Row 6 is over the engine so it's not good if you want the window for views. I'm not a particularly light sleeper so I had no issues with the galley - reviews from the seating thread are mostly positive. The access to the crew bunk is in front of 1DE facing the galley, so there is enough hallway you can't actually see into the galley. 1D has a cabinet built into it for crew storage (had gel pillows and PJs in it) which may get opened/slammed during flight, but IMO it's not very noticeable over the general engine noise.

Larger footwell and "secret shelf" (over the IFE screen) afforded by the bulkhead are both great. One comment (and I should add this to the 789 thread) is that the ceiling over 1A rains a bit right during touchdown from the climate control above you, but if you're prepared it's fine (recommend covering legs with blanket). 3-for-3 on 789 flights in row 1 for this happening.

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Also, looks like the NZ MEL lounge is due open in May 2017.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zea...to-open-by-may
There's been some grumbling about delays but May seems to be the latest estimate.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Nasty.. (May opening).. When in SYD the NZ lounge is just awesome.

I did not know Uber did not pick up at MEL.. seems kinda backwards..
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Regarding hotels and arrival options, I just flew into MEL last week. Stayed at the Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens. They have a gym/pool on their rooftop with a shower/toilet facility that is available to arriving guests. Rooms don't become available until 1 pm, so I used the gym to freshen up, then went to a lunchtime meeting, and then came back to check in.
Last year, I stayed at the Alto on Bourke St., which is one block from Southern Cross Station, which is where the airport bus arrives. The bus is pricy, but less than a taxi and runs every 5-10 minutes during the morning peaks. The Alto has a deal with a nearby gym for health club access, so less convenient than freshening up in the same building you'll sleep in that night. But they had a room ready by 10 a.m., so I went right into my room after a tea at their coffee corner (complimentary for guests, as is breakfast).
Depending on which day of the week you're in town, you must go to Victoria Market. The market isn't open every day. And if you like tea McIver's sells some of Australia's best to take home.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis

I did not know Uber did not pick up at MEL.. seems kinda backwards..
Typical. Usually takes quite a while for regulatory and bribery things to take effect before Uber can pick up from an airport. Not an issue for drop-off since it's just a car dropping you off. Was very pleased with my Uber drivers in Melbourne btw.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA used to comp the ETA fee for 1K's. Do they still do that?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by cranky1K
They don't for GS, so I assume the answer would be no.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by BH62
How about this for a quicker trip? Some years back (2010, IIRC), the BH's were pursuing status (when it was just miles, no$$) we did a 6 hr turn-around SFO-SYD-SFO. Arrival in the morning, into town, browsed the street market in the Rocks, back to the airport, boarded flight & back to SFO. Already had a valid ETA from an earlier trip. Nowadays, an efficient way is look for a good P fare, score bonus PQM's & PQD's.
i did this once for a work trip. It's a long way to fly for a one hour presentation.

Bob
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cranky1K
No, but you may want to check out the sticky in the Oceania forums here...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Cheap bus from Airport to city
https://www.skybus.com.au/

The airport is a hole... stay in the city

MEL is a serious foodie city and has some amazing restraunts within the crown complex (I highly reccomend "The Atlantic") and outside of it as well all downtown.
Outside of the crown complex there are hundreds of things downtown to do/see as well

If you have a date your willing to share I can advise on specific events that might be happening at the MCG etc that might be worth seeing

Trams around downtown are all free (very well displayed whats free and whats not)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:19 pm

Uber at MEL

I arrived at MEL this past Sunday morning from AKL on NZ. Uber is available from airport, but only Black, so it cost me $90 AUD. Head out to Level 1 (yellow) of the parking garage to be picked up.

when I was leaving MEL on Tuesday morning on UA99 back to LAX (TBIT), UberX picked me up at the convention center (south wharf) and took me to the airport in about 25 min for only $45 AUD.

the NZ lounge was open and accepting customers at MEL, but still had construction going on with a sign of apology out front.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Plat
Stay around Southbank (just opp the city, across one of several bridges) because from there its just 2-3 sets of lights for taxi back to airport. Leaving from CBD is slow because of lights on every corner and plenty of streets. Food - look up Flinders Lane food - Cumulus Inc for bkfast, any number of places for lunch dinner. Still think you are crazy doing a 30 hr turnaround tho..
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Uber can not pick up from MEL, only drop off. Uber was A$20 less than taxi on my sample of 2 round trips this week..
Curious, how do they know its Uber and not a friend picking you up? Do they have decals on the cars or something? I never noticed.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chavala
Curious, how do they know its Uber and not a friend picking you up? Do they have decals on the cars or something? I never noticed.
The cars have this sticker or now some have a new "U" that lights up.

I'd also venture a guess that they don't give them access to any on-airport waiting lots, dedicated pick-up signs/islands, etc. I'm sure an Uber driver COULD accept a fare but there's probably also fines etc if they get caught.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.