Search

Global First or new 773 Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Global First or new 773 Polaris

Hi Folks,
Have an upcoming trip from EWR-HKG. I'll be buying business class and have some options which I'd appreciate your thoughts on. For discussion purposes let's assume all flights are the same price.

Option 1 - EWR-HKG on the sCO 772. I've done this flight a few times when it was BF service. It's definitely my easiest option but I'm interested in doing something new.

Option 2 - EWR-ORD-HKG. This would be on the sUA 772 (both legs) and there is currently ON space open so I'd upgrade to Global First.

Option 3 - EWR-SFO-HKG. EWR-SFO on 752 and SFO-HKG on 773 with new Polaris hard product.

So, really I'm debating Option 2 or 3 comparing Global First with the new 773 hard product. Thoughts?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Are you going both ways on UA? If so, do both?

I might also consider connecting in ICN to get a 747 while you still can.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Obviously 1) is the fastest choice. If time isn't an issue, I would personally go with 2), just because I have not been to the Polaris lounge in ORD, and that is the one thing I have not checked out of all the options listed.

I am in the minority (I think) in saying that I would prefer flying the new Polaris seat over legacy GF, though. GF is worn down, and depsite being spacious, it's a very open seat. Grab an odd-numbered window seat on the 77W and you will have much more privacy.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If you haven't done GF before, its a good chance to try it out since its going away eventually, plus you've got the Polaris lounge at ORD while SFO only has the UC and the GFL (which you won't be able to access on the 773 flight). The Polaris seat is more private, especially if you get one of the window seats. I've only done the 773 EWR-SFO so I have no idea how the mattress pad that's supposed to be provided compares to the GF one. But the 773 is new and shiny.... Tough choice
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Obviously 1) is the fastest choice. If time isn't an issue, I would personally go with 2), just because I have not been to the Polaris lounge in ORD, and that is the one thing I have not checked out of all the options listed.
That's a good pro for GF. I'd like to check out the new ORD lounge. Plus, I've only ever been in GF once, and might be a good idea to do it before it's gone.

Another good suggestion to try GF one way, and the 77W the other.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'd personally go with Polaris first on the outbound and the nonstop on the way back. The full Polaris service will eventually make its way through the longhaul network, and I think the old GF seat is pretty nice. The sUA 772 EWR-ORD run also gives almost a 4 hour connection in ORD, which is ample time to explore the amazing Polaris lounge. Nonstop on the way back to avoid clearing immigration in SFO or ORD.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:56 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I found the ORD Polaris to be really nice; what a business lounge should be...

But I would not want to waste 4 hours in transit just to experience it.

Take the NS and check out the ORD lounge another trip.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by qwicker
Hi Folks,
Have an upcoming trip from EWR-HKG. I'll be buying business class and have some options which I'd appreciate your thoughts on. For discussion purposes let's assume all flights are the same price.

Option 1 - EWR-HKG on the sCO 772. I've done this flight a few times when it was BF service. It's definitely my easiest option but I'm interested in doing something new.

Option 2 - EWR-ORD-HKG. This would be on the sUA 772 (both legs) and there is currently ON space open so I'd upgrade to Global First.

Option 3 - EWR-SFO-HKG. EWR-SFO on 752 and SFO-HKG on 773 with new Polaris hard product.

So, really I'm debating Option 2 or 3 comparing Global First with the new 773 hard product. Thoughts?

Personally I would go with 2 ,you will get a better seat and better service,Polaris food is what is what ever you travel on.I have not been on or seen the UA hard product yet ,but UA are a fairly late adopter of 300er and the seating model and I have traveled many times in similar cabins on OW and Star carriers, while much better on the privacy front in general the seats are tighter and the service slower and less personal.If they had done half a job with soft product there was not a lot wrong with GF IMHO
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by roberto99
I found the ORD Polaris to be really nice; what a business lounge should be...

But I would not want to waste 4 hours in transit just to experience it.

Take the NS and check out the ORD lounge another trip.
Yeah, the ORD Polaris lounge will be around for a long time. Plus it's starting to get pretty crowded in there during the afternoons, so there's no guarantee you will have a table open to order anything off the menu.

I would just go GF on the 772 nonstop, especially since GF will no longer exist in a couple of years when the retrofits complete.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
But that's not an option. the NS EWR-HKG i on a PMCO 772 with no FC.

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I would just go GF on the 772 nonstop, especially since GF will no longer exist in a couple of years when the retrofits complete.
Non of the options has a late departure which would be preferential to me. Of the 3 options I'd go stop in ORD on the way there in GF and then nonstop on the return.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
But that's not an option. the NS EWR-HKG i on a PMCO 772 with no FC.

Non of the options has a late departure which would be preferential to me. Of the 3 options I'd go stop in ORD on the way there in GF and then nonstop on the return.
My bad, you are right. Then I would go route 2 for four hours in the Polaris lounge and GF upgrade.

Route 3 only has a 1 hour connection, so not a lot of time on the ground to stretch out and refresh before getting on the second leg. 20 hours of flight time is pretty brutal without a little break.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thesun
If you haven't done GF before, its a good chance to try it out since its going away eventually, plus you've got the Polaris lounge at ORD while SFO only has the UC and the GFL (which you won't be able to access on the 773 flight). The Polaris seat is more private, especially if you get one of the window seats. I've only done the 773 EWR-SFO so I have no idea how the mattress pad that's supposed to be provided compares to the GF one. But the 773 is new and shiny.... Tough choice
GF, period. As long as it is still available, I would choose it. Every. Single. Time.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:02 pm

International United First no questions about it.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by halls120
GF, period. As long as it is still available, I would choose it. Every. Single. Time.
Originally Posted by tuolumne
International United First no questions about it.
What they said.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
First class is still first class. Always go with the higher cabin of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.