Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Stopover to Hawaii

i am trying to book a flight to HNL from EWR.

i see a lot of flights that have a layover in LAX.

Am I able to book a ticket with a layover that is a couple days long instead of just a couple hours?

Or is this something that is no longer possible
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If your paying $ for a ticket you have to do it via multi-city itinerary, so not in the sense you're thinking of. If you're redeeming an award ticket, no stopover is allowed - you'd have to book three one ways (EWR-LAX, LAX-HNL, HNL-EWR).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as a "layover." There are "connections" and "stopovers". For domestic flights, a "connection" is 4 hours or less and will generally include the next flight out. Anything else is a "stopover".

You can certainly book whatever you want. Stopovers are often more expensive than than connections. But, not always. You will not know until you try the specific routing and dates (and class of service) that you want.

If this is an award, you can't. Or better put, it will be two awards.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
i am trying to book a flight to HNL from EWR.

i see a lot of flights that have a layover in LAX.

Am I able to book a ticket with a layover that is a couple days long instead of just a couple hours?

Or is this something that is no longer possible
What time of year are you looking at? Have you tried just searching for separate EWR-LAX and LAX-HNL tickets? It may turn out to be the same total price as the 'layover' search result.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, you can certainly ticket a stopover in LAX. It may not change the price, it may make it higher, it may make it lower.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mduell
...It may not change the price, it may make it higher, it may make it lower.
This is not an alternate fact.

I book multi-city itineraries for just about every trip. It's annoying to do the permutations of booking possibilities for the exact same dates and destinations in order to find the best price.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is not an alternate fact.

I book multi-city itineraries for just about every trip. It's annoying to do the permutations of booking possibilities for the exact same dates and destinations in order to find the best price.
Agreed—about half of my trips are multi-city as well.

As regards this case though, I have noticed that, at least this spring, several of the mainland-HNL results are actually broken fares. So depending upon when Dpetryszyn wishes to travel, he may find doing a few of these extra searches gets him what he wants.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no such thing as a "layover."
At least one dictionary believes otherwise:
  1. a period of rest or waiting before a further stage in a journey.
Just saying...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kale73
At least one dictionary believes otherwise:
  1. a period of rest or waiting before a further stage in a journey.
Just saying...
Yeah, I would say "layover" is an acceptable term for describing the time you spend in between connecting flights. As in, "I have a four hour layover at HKIA between my flights from SFO and BKK." I suppose the layover could extend to several days, though I probably wouldn't use the term that way. Don't think I'd correct someone who did though
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:51 am

You have to buy a round trip, then you get one stopover. You basically have to call to make the reservation. If they charge a fee for phone reservations, just remind them you couldn't make that type online and they will wave it. We usually use our stopover going, as the flying time is about a total of 2 hrs more. Lately we have been booking flights to lax and then separate flights lax to hnl (or whatever island) and that way stopping over both coming and going. Actually, last time we booked 4 one way trips, mco-lax, lax-ogg, lih-lax, lax-mco.

Last edited by frankhi; Mar 27, 2017 at 4:57 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by Often1
There is no such thing as a "layover." .
it would be more correct and polite to say that layover is not an airline ticketing term.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: TrueBlue
I think the OP is looking for something like what Icelandair does with their offers of allowing you up to 7 days in Reykjavik without any additional charges. My wife and I took advantage of this a couple of years ago when we flew BOS-LHR and spent a couple of breath-taking days in Iceland on the way out. It turned out that the cheapest airfare that we could find had us flying BOS-REK on Thursday and REK-LHR on Sunday.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by frankhi
You have to buy a round trip, then you get one stopover. You basically have to call to make the reservation. If they charge a fee for phone reservations, just remind them you couldn't make that type online and they will wave it. We usually use our stopover going, as the flying time is about a total of 2 hrs more. Lately we have been booking flights to lax and then separate flights lax to hnl (or whatever island) and that way stopping over both coming and going. Actually, last time we booked 4 one way trips, mco-lax, lax-ogg, lih-lax, lax-mco.
This is not correct. UA no longer allows stopovers on awards. As discussed above, whether a stopover is allowed on a paid fare will depend on the fare rules.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
OP - as mentioned, it depends on the fare rules. But to actually get it, multi city booking (as noted above) should price it correctly. If not, you have to call in. To be helpful, I looked up the rules for the cheapest EWR-HNL fare I could find (WDO4LFEN)
This one allows a stopover at LAx (among others) for $55.81.

Code:
2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION AT USD 55.81 EACH IN CHI/DEN/LAX/SFO/HOU/EWR/
IAD
PER PASSENGER. INFANT IS FREE.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
STOPOVER POINT/S/ MUST BE ON THE PERMITTED
ROUTING.
AND - 2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN
EACH DIRECTION AT USD 74.42 EACH IN HNL/OGG/KOA/
LIH/ITO
PER PASSENGER. INFANT IS FREE.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
STOPOVER POINT/S/ MUST BE ON THE PERMITTED
ROUTING.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is not correct. UA no longer allows stopovers on awards. As discussed above, whether a stopover is allowed on a paid fare will depend on the fare rules.
I don't think using a reward was mentioned???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.