Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Charged For Snacks / Snack Box in First Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged For Snacks / Snack Box in First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have asked many (probably 10) FA's about this and the consensus is, if it is during a standard meal time they will provide a snack box free. If it is a flight outside meal times you have to pay as you would not have gotten a meal anyways. 9 of the 10 said this so I would lean more to this is the policy. I won't say it IS the official UA policy but when 90% of polled FA's say the exact same thing I would lean towards believing it. They definitely don't advertise it and don't make the offer of it and when they do it they tend to keep it on the down low. I know I have ben in the exit row on flights and they have run out of snack boxes and I seen a couple go up into F. I was a little pissed as I was hungry. And before you all go saying why didn't I get something in the airport, blah, blah, blah, it was an extremely short connection that I barely made and there was no time to stop and get something. I won't get into details about why it was an extremely short connection. That is for another thread at another time if I choose to talk about it.

So when you are in F it is a nice thing to get a snack box. When you are in Y and see snack boxes go to F and there are none left for you, you get a little pissed.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It's pretty ridiculous to serve food (for which one must pay) in coach while offering nothing to eat at all in first. At an (unacceptable) minimum first should be given the same opportunity as coach to purchase the food that is on the plane.

Last edited by bmr12; Sep 7, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
After the merger, it was made against policy to comp snack boxes to F and some sUA FAs even got in trouble. That was compounded by the poor catering quality and the shift toward more red meat on flights, which more sCO style. Enough people complained that snack boxes came back as options when something ran out in F. I'm not sure how that works with the new meal service, given that there are 3 choices and they seem to cater a bit more food (still was kind of bad the other day, when they only catered 3 salads on a flight out of LAX, but tons of "Tandoori" Chicken and stuffed pasta).

Anyway, it seems that this was one of those non-"meal time" flights, whatever that means. Still, I'm a little surprised they didn't pass the snack basket and/or offer a small snack.

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
About a month ago flying paid J (I'm sorry, I just cannot call it "F") SFO-YVR I watched a rather nasty interaction between my seatmate and the FA because his preferred meal was gone and instead he asked for a snack box, well, she insisted on waiting for the entire Y cabin to be served first and then wanted to charge him for it under the argument it was "lost revenue". Did not go over well.
That is fairly surprising, as they changed that policy back to the old sUA one a while back. Was this an sCO or sUA flight?

Originally Posted by warreng24
It was PMUA policy that if a meal was served in F, the passenger could request (and receive) a complimentary BoB item from Y.

However, if there was no food served in F, no complimentary BoB was to be provided.

Since the merger, it has been YMMV on the policy.
PMUA also served meals on appropriate segments.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by JBord
... After missing dinner due to late meetings and a dash to my plane, I found no meal in F, and asked if I could have a snack box. No. Can I buy one? No. But I'm starving. If there are any left in Y, you can buy one.
Same thing x2 on regional flights. You have to be in Y to buy BoB. They refused to even sell it to me in F, until all Y pax were given the chance to buy. Even when NO meal service in F.

United's logic on customer service completely escapes me.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bmr12
It's pretty ridiculous to serve food (for which one must pay) in coach while offering nothing to east at all in first. At an (unacceptable) minimum first should be given the same opportunity as coach to purchase the food that is on the plane.
+1
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
First off I'm not a UA apologist...in my opinion the lack of meals on these flights is ridiculous.

That being said its kinda like the person who gate checks a bag and then is up in arms because medication, laptop, etc is missing. If you are an experienced flyer pull out what you need or is valuable before handing the bag over.

Additionally this isn't a case of where UA said there was meal service and there wasn't. They probably had a snack basket and when it wasn't enough you wanted more. And for all the people in an uproar because they were trying to save them for Y paxs....consider the fact that someone in the back could be GS or full fare what have you. Then there would be a thread crying foul because someone with no status or discount Y got the last snack box. It's just this sense of entitlement that bugs me. Sure your full first but they offered you something on an advertised non meal flight and you didn't like it, didn't want it, wasn't enough, and yeah if you start asking for one everyone wants one. I don't see the issue here especially when you didn't bother to pull out the food you had with you. Why should the poor schmuck stuck in a middle Y have to go without....they didn't even get a free snack basket option.
But I think you're recognising that flying on a UA airplane is inching closer and closer to becoming a state of privation. And that is really the point, rather than some 'entitled' or 'not entitled' calculus for the limited benefits, a limitation that is only being imposed by a—in my opinion short-sighted—relentless effort to cut costs.

There isn't some universal supply of snack boxes; there is just United's revenue and United's costs, and the question of where its passengers fit in to that dichotomy.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
...wanted to charge him for it under the argument it was "lost revenue". Did not go over well.
I'm fascinated that this vocabulary has spread to the front line employees. They must really be hammering it home.

Personally, as a vegetarian, I've been forced to resort to the boxes when there is no food option. Some FAs just hand me a box, some charge, some say they are going to charge and then never do. YMMV.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrolland1975
IAH -SFO, paid first class ticket: no dinner service, and had to pay $8.99 for a box of tapas, which, I was told, had to be stolen from the coach crowd and could REALLY not be complementary, lest everybody else in First would ask for theirs.

No on-demand entertainment to take my mind off my growling stomach.

I did have food in my carry-on bag, but was forced to gate-check it, on a 757, which apparently is also a new rule.

Other than that, awesome flight. Could not be better.
There is a note on meals on the e-receipt UA sends, when you see your reservation online, and you can see it when viewing flight status. While you certainly don't need to like that there was no dinner service on a flight that length, it certainly shouldn't have been a surprise, and if it was, you missed it in several places. Now you know where to look next time.

As to your carry-on bag, how big was it - does it meet the carry-on dimensions and/or fit in the sizer (which is actually bigger then the dimensions? (And using - but I was allowed to bring it on last time doesn't address that). Or did you board late and there was no room in the overhead. On mainline, that is the only time I have been "forced" to gate check a bag.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's not a "new rule". I've had a few FAs want to charge for snack boxes in F for the past five years, but most are more reasonable, so it's very much a YMMV situation. As far as being "forced" to gate-check, that's also been around for many years if your carry-on is too large.
I hate to bring up PMUA vs. PMCO, however, my experience is PMUA has tended not to charge, and PMCO does. And we've done this a bit since my wife is veggie, so it's often the snack box or nothing.

Originally Posted by stellarlight
How about redeye transcon flights SFO/LAX - IAD/EWR etc that mostly depart after 9pm? Will the cold plates on these flights stay or disappear? Thanks!
That's refreshments only, now.

About a month ago flying paid J (I'm sorry, I just cannot call it "F&quot SFO-YVR I watched a rather nasty interaction between my seatmate and the FA because his preferred meal was gone and instead he asked for a snack box, well, she insisted on waiting for the entire Y cabin to be served first and then wanted to charge him for it under the argument it was "lost revenue". Did not go over well.
Actually, doesn't matter what you want to call it, SFO-YVR is J, not F. For some strange reason, flights to Canada, with the same service standard as domestic flights, are business, while domestic flights are F.

Originally Posted by mezzowithcorigis
The last time I flew the late-night BFL-IAH in F, they were still passing the snack basket around. On an upcoming flight it's now listed as the flight in question here, beverage only. Yes, I'd rather have free snacks. But not to the point of choosing a flight that either won't get me home on time, or choosing a routing that puts me on a CR2 (no F, no complimentary snacks, no circulation below the knee, etc, etc), I'll eat something at the airport and have a snack or two in my briefcase.
IME, short flights are now showing, at least on flight status, as "no meal or snack available, beverage service only" for F/J (to/from Canada) when there is indeed the snack basket. I flew ORD-YYZ in F a couple of days ago and that's what it said but there was indeed the basket, and that's what it says for my flight today.

I do give them credit for rotating the items in basket a bit every time though - either different products or flavors. Yesterday I saw Biscoffs and I don't think I've seen them for a long time - the popcorn is kettle corn sometimes, cheddar popcorn others, etc. I loved seeing the Dancing Deer cookies I really like on one flight a while ago out of ORD, but haven't seen them back since, so I wish I'd see them back more.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
OP, sorry about your experience, its frustrating to be on a flight at the end of the day (particularly when you have connected and this is your second flight, or had to dash for the airport so no time to eat) and have paid for First Class, but find the experience is really United's version of First Classless. Hopefully you did not try the coffee, that is vial, as is the ETOH beverage selection. Basically United now offers its own version of the "Big Front Seat" experience.

The take away is don't pay for First on United, fly another airline (VX, DL, AA, AS) that offers better service. Its not surprise that United's yields are down very sharply compared to competitors, people leave as they find the UA experience is bad.

This issue (no "snack plate") in F on long flights - including TCONS - has been discussed a lot in the thread about new domestic food. Many of us said that it was a bad move - the little bit of savings would be swamped by the further damage to the brand - and your Post is just a real live example of this.

I would write to UA, tell them that given this experience you are unlikely to fly them again (if this is true) its important for them to have feedback to ignore.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I was on UA 408 SFO-IAD Sunday (upgraded with RPU plane downgraded from 3 class 777 to 2 class 777, with old style F seats). I don't like cereal and get sick eating eggs (the options were eggs or French toast). The purser gave me a second fruit plate since my seat mate didn't want hers and then got me a Tapas box from Y. I didn't have to pay for it. Didn't think much of it before reading this.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by emcampbe
There is a note on meals on the e-receipt UA sends, when you see your reservation online, and you can see it when viewing flight status. While you certainly don't need to like that there was no dinner service on a flight that length, it certainly shouldn't have been a surprise, and if it was, you missed it in several places. Now you know where to look next time.
Tell the OP of this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ing-issue.html
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by spin88
OP, sorry about your experience, its frustrating to be on a flight at the end of the day (particularly when you have connected and this is your second flight, or had to dash for the airport so no time to eat) and have paid for First Class, but find the experience is really United's version of First Classless. Hopefully you did not try the coffee, that is vial, as is the ETOH beverage selection. Basically United now offers its own version of the "Big Front Seat" experience.

The take away is don't pay for First on United, fly another airline (VX, DL, AA, AS) that offers better service. Its not surprise that United's yields are down very sharply compared to competitors, people leave as they find the UA experience is bad.

This issue (no "snack plate") in F on long flights - including TCONS - has been discussed a lot in the thread about new domestic food. Many of us said that it was a bad move - the little bit of savings would be swamped by the further damage to the brand - and your Post is just a real live example of this.

I would write to UA, tell them that given this experience you are unlikely to fly them again (if this is true) its important for them to have feedback to ignore.
spin88:

I'd highlight that the OP self identifies as a GS. Also since the flight was on a 757 between IAH and SFO, that's a 757-300 - a sCO flight. I see this thread as a result of a sCO crew who didn't care who was in that F seat and what that person paid. Given the rolleyes, the OP could contact GS but, as you've highlighted before, the current management at UA actively is not seeking ways to improve service to HVF - just ways of cutting costs and copying what it can from DL.

David
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:02 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Indeed if the business flyers won't keep UA accountable by directing their spending elsewhere, expect them to make every dollar they can off you.

Tricks to maximize profit surely, if Willis Tower is smart, would include making flights depart 1 minute the mealtime end & last 1 minute longer than the mealtime time tier.
Have a flight from YVR to SFO in First, the original time of the flight was to include a dinner service, UA pushed back the time by 2 minutes, guess what no dinner service, now it is refreshments. Not that I really care, as I will go to the MLL and have some decent food prior to boarding the flight.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Tricks to maximize profit surely, if Willis Tower is smart, would include making flights depart 1 minute the mealtime end & last 1 minute longer than the mealtime time tier.
Hence United's longest domestic flight, departing HNL for its 13 hour trek to EWR at 8:10 is a snack flight...because it is 10 min out of the dinner window.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Unbelievable. to the bean counters in Willis Tower!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.