Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mobile app status expiration confused LH agent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

My 1K status shows expiration of 1/2017 which caused a problem for me today getting into the LH Senator Lounge for me and the gentleman ahead of me. The attendant was confused because it expires this month so she was not sure it was valid for use.

Each of us explained, nicely, which she appreciated. I was in the "K" terminal and she informed me that normally the UA *G yell at her and are rude.

I requalified in early December (and have not received my kit (which I understand) but as the website for My Account confirms I made 1K for 2017 I do not understand why the app is not updated.

In addition, I have my 6GPUs allocated but when I do the search for flights with upgrades it only shows miles and not GPUs.

Is this happening with anyone else. Both the app not updating and GPU search not available?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My 1K status shows expiration of 1/2017 which caused a problem for me today getting into the LH Senator Lounge for me and the gentleman ahead of me. The attendant was confused because it expires this month so she was not sure it was valid for use.

Each of us explained, nicely, which she appreciated. I was in the "K" terminal and she informed me that normally the UA *G yell at her and are rude.

I requalified in early December (and have not received my kit (which I understand) but as the website for My Account confirms I made 1K for 2017 I do not understand why the app is not updated.

In addition, I have my 6GPUs allocated but when I do the search for flights with upgrades it only shows miles and not GPUs.

Is this happening with anyone else. Both the app not updating and GPU search not available?
This is brought up every year. The app won't change until end of January with the new expirations.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I think it has something to do with existing status valid until 1/31/2017. I just made GS for first time and the app updated with Global Services but shows "valid thru 1/2017".
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My 1K status shows expiration of 1/2017 which caused a problem for me today getting into the LH Senator Lounge for me and the gentleman ahead of me. The attendant was confused because it expires this month so she was not sure it was valid for use....
The app states
Valid Thru 1/2017
which native english speakers will understand as "thru and until end of 1/2017". Understandable that might confuse a non-native speaker.

The LH agent was probably new and had not handle this in the past and a quickly asking a more experienced agent should have cleared up the confusion.

The "Valid thru 1.2017" on the app, will be the same for everyone; new status qualifier, re-qualifier, and those that will drop to a lower status. On 31 Jan 2017 at about USA Central Time midnight, it will change to their 2017 status and the date will change to thru 1/2018.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank for the feedback on the app issue.

What about the GPU and upgrade search, or will this fix also at the end of January? I was able to apply my 2 RPUs, albeit they did not come up in the upgrade search either.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... In addition, I have my 6GPUs allocated but when I do the search for flights with upgrades it only shows miles and not GPUs. ...
What about the GPU and upgrade search, or will this fix also at the end of January? I was able to apply my 2 RPUs, albeit they did not come up in the upgrade search either.
This is usually cause by something in the itin preventing their use.

Have you tried a simple, only UA, 1 flight out, 1 flight back itin? single passenger.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is usually cause by something in the itin preventing their use.

Have you tried a simple, only UA, 1 flight out, 1 flight back itin? single passenger.
Thank you, no was doing search on set date out and set date back and using upgrade as an option. All for one passanger. This has always worked in the past (when I have GPUs available). Never tried one flight at a time on a set date. That seems time consuming.

I am now doing searches.with GPU eligible fares but that doe not show which flights have upgrades available without looking at each flight for "R" space availability.

Hopefully it fixes when my 1k status updates on the app
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Would it really cost UA anything to have the card on the app say specifically "through 1/31/2017"?

Only three characters more. Solves many potential instances of confusion.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:20 pm

Thank you, no was doing search on set date out and set date back and using upgrade as an option. All for one passanger. This has always worked in the past (when I have GPUs available). Never tried one flight at a time on a set date. That seems time consuming.

I am now doing searches.with GPU eligible fares but that doe not show which flights have upgrades available without looking at each flight for "R" space availability.

Hopefully it fixes when my 1k status updates on the app
This may be another problem that has been report -- GPU upgrade eligible flight search fail if a connection segment is added and the fare class is work making GPU not usable.

Has nothing due to status and no one knows if or when this will be fixed. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-searches.html

For now, searching on the TAPC or TATL segments and no connecting segments or manually setting W fare and looking for R (again with no connecting segments. So few connecting segments have the R space this is not a major loss in finding availability.

It is a pain presentlly.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann
Would it really cost UA anything to have the card on the app say specifically "through 1/31/2017"?

Only three characters more. Solves many potential instances of confusion.
Or they could do what COPA does...

Valid Thru 02/2017.....
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold

Do you mean the advanced search page doesn't let you select GPU as an option for upgrade type? Using the mileage option will give you the exact same information in terms of availability.

But you can also use the following workaround: Do a search selecting mileage upgrade option, wait for the results and then modify the URL in your browser as follows. Look for &ut=MUA towards the end of the URL, change it to &ut=GPU and hit enter.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just make sure to carry my card ("1/31/2017") when traveling international
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I just make sure to carry my card ("1/31/2017") when traveling international
Yeah, I can't see any reason not to do that, and many reasons for it: Your phone battery might be dead, you might not have connectivity where you need to show it, you might have lost your phone, or been pick-pocketed, etc. Traveling internationally I always have hardcopy backup of every document. For the cost of carrying a few extra sheets of paper, I've had my patootie saved many times.

And the converse is true: when I'm handed a valuable document that might get lost (and there is no backup), I take a photo of it. Again, saved my posterior more than once.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:14 pm

I always found the LH lounge dragons make the UA lounge dragons look like Snow White.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Do you mean the advanced search page doesn't let you select GPU as an option for upgrade type? Using the mileage option will give you the exact same information in terms of availability.
​​​​​​
Yes, except then if I select to book as it shows availability I end up being charged miles and the co-pay.

Do you think if I booked it that way (because it is available) and then called the 1K desk they would do the switch from miles & co-pay to GPU? The problem with restarting using the eligible flight data to book and ticket is that the "R" availability may disappear and I am not assured of the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.