Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:21 pm

United - Positive Experiences 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
United - Positive Experiences 2017

Following up on the prior thread for 2016, figured I'll start a new one for positive experiences on UA for 2017 since I'm on a Jan 1 2017 flight right now and actually had a decent positive experience I wanted to share!

On UA180 right now on a flight from HKG to EWR after an earlier flight from SIN to HKG at 5.45am to ring in the new year on UA. FA crew on this flight in Y seem to be a stellar bunch that contrasted wildly with the experience I had with FA on J from HKG to SIN just a couple days back.

During boarding one of the FAs went around asking some of the EconomyPlus folks proactively if they wanted to change seats to get a little more arm rest room as the flight was not entirely full and there are still pockets of aisle seats available. Really helpful that she did this proactively even during the hectic boarding process, when I can see some other FAs not even bothering to take the effort to that even when asked.

Later on during regular meal services, I even saw her asking passengers if they wanted to refill their water bottles. I thought that was a really sweet touch, I'm not even sure if asian carriers voluntarily do that. I know this is a small gesture, but I thought I should point out little positive experiences i have on UA considering how much we like to harp on the negatives.

On a personal note, the FA that was on my row was pretty decent too and when I asked if there were bose headphones on sale for duty free as I forgot to bring mine for this 16 hour flight, she mentioned that if its not in the duty free mag she can possibly find one of those bigger earphones that they give out in J and pass along to me - which she did!

On another note, I'm not sure what's the best way to compliment these FAs to the company. Do you guys have experience doing that? I know on AA they give out those liittle commendation papers you can pass along to FAs if you are an elite, but i'm a UA gold and have never gotten those papers. Is there somewhere I can compliment them that makes sure the proper people at the company give them credit?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
On another note, I'm not sure what's the best way to compliment these FAs to the company. Do you guys have experience doing that? I know on AA they give out those liittle commendation papers you can pass along to FAs if you are an elite, but i'm a UA gold and have never gotten those papers. Is there somewhere I can compliment them that makes sure the proper people at the company give them credit?
It's not as formalized as the AA system (and UA flirted with a feature in the app to compliment a few years ago, but that seems to have gone the way of the domestic Y meal) but if you write customer care [check the back of your membership card for a specific email address, not sure what it is for Golds or https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx it will eventually make its way to Inflight and get noted in the FA's file
Old Jan 1, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat (by 2022); Hilton HHonors Diamond, Global Entry, Clean Plate Club
This probably should have been put in the 2016 thread, but I missed the cutoff! I made a end of year mileage run (OKA-PVG-SFO-EWR-IAH-NRT-OKA).

I couldn't believe it, but was upgraded to Polaris Business Class from PVG to SFO. That made a world of a difference to my comfort. I am a Plat, so this was a very big surprise.

The funny thing was this happened to me in October too, between LAX and NRT. I was travelling with a friend and I attempted to decline the upgrade at the podium, but they said "You never say no to an upgrade!" and upgraded my friend too (with no status).

Is this the "surprise and delight" thing? I know my October experience was 100% full in economy, so maybe they needed the seat. But from Shanghai, it wasn't full.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
It's not as formalized as the AA system (and UA flirted with a feature in the app to compliment a few years ago, but that seems to have gone the way of the domestic Y meal) but if you write customer care [check the back of your membership card for a specific email address, not sure what it is for Golds or https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx it will eventually make its way to Inflight and get noted in the FA's file
unfortunate to hear UA doesn't have a more formalized system to reward their service staff, but thanks for the other avenues!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:03 pm

Wife and I were CPUd to domestic First from E+ today while on award travel.

Gate agent paged us a few minutes before boarding, asked for our boarding passes and said, "I think you'll like these seats better."

​I think the flight was oversold in Economy but I've never been upgraded before when using miles.

​​​​The FA was also great and did a better job than most of the ones I've had in BF.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:35 pm

The captain came out and thanked everyone in business for flying. This was the NYE redeye from SFO to EWR. Got a nice handwritten message on a business card.

No amenity kit though.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Flying from SFO to KOA in paid F and the flight was delayed 2.5 hrs. due to horrible weather. Totally not UA's fault. After the flight I got a stock invitation to rate the flight. I rated the experience well and mentioned in passing both the delay and that it wasn't UA' fault. They send me $100 travel certificate. Thank you, UA.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Flying EWR-SFO 1/1/17 and spent some time in the "upstairs" EWR UC. They had a delicious carrot cake out that I haven't had at the UC before and that combined with every staff member there being in the new year spirit really made for a good first flight of the year.

FA's in the BF (p.s. business now I guess? Need a new abbreviation...) cabin were solid and the food was some of the best I've had on p.s.

If the rest of my flying in 2017 follows this pattern (minus some long taxi/baggage times in rainy and somewhat delayed SFO) I'll be quite happy.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
05 Jan IAD to SAN unscheduled refuel in PSP

Just want to give a shout out to the pilot of my IAD to SAN flight this past Thursday (UA229). 140Kt sustained headwinds coupled with some dicey weather and traffic separation scheme in SAN created a fuel calculation issue which prompted the pilot to make an unscheduled landing in PSP to refuel. Pilot cam over the intercom and explained the situation very clearly and articulately and we landed with no issues in PSP to take on fuel rather than chance the traffic separation scheme with low fuel. Pilot did an excellent job of keeping pax informed and everybody felt safe and not anxious. Good job United. We were late to SAN, but hardly worth taking a fuel risk. Thank you United.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Two things from my flight this past weekend. First, I was hoping to do a SDC to a later flight on Sunday (BOS-DEN), as the Patriots were playing Saturday night, and I didn't want to get up super early on Sunday. Logged in on Saturday morning, and was thrilled to see the 3:05pm flight was available for no change fee! Made the swap, and thought all was good. Until later that day, when it showed my reservation was canceled. What?? So I called CS, and it turns out I was one of those idiots I usually laugh at - I had changed my ticket to 3:05pm on Saturday, not Sunday! Dooh! (I didn't even realize that a SDC could be the previous day, I thought it had to be the same day.)

I felt like such an idiot, but the CS rep completely understood, said it happens all the time, and easily reinstated me to my original 7am flight Sunday. (Phew!)

As a followup, there was a small medical issue on the plane Sunday morning, luckily caught while we were on the tarmac. Returned to the gate, flight crew handled it all very professionally. And after the ailing passenger was removed, we took off and arrived only 45 minutes late. Kudos to the flight staff for handling that so well!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paolo01
Just want to give a shout out to the pilot of my IAD to SAN flight this past Thursday (UA229). 140Kt sustained headwinds coupled with some dicey weather and traffic separation scheme in SAN created a fuel calculation issue which prompted the pilot to make an unscheduled landing in PSP to refuel. Pilot cam over the intercom and explained the situation very clearly and articulately and we landed with no issues in PSP to take on fuel rather than chance the traffic separation scheme with low fuel. Pilot did an excellent job of keeping pax informed and everybody felt safe and not anxious. Good job United. We were late to SAN, but hardly worth taking a fuel risk. Thank you United.
Flying DEN-SFO on Thursday afternoon and I noticed the same headwind reading. I thought it may have been a glitch. Later on it was down to about 30.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by craig1979
This probably should have been put in the 2016 thread, but I missed the cutoff! I made a end of year mileage run (OKA-PVG-SFO-EWR-IAH-NRT-OKA).

I couldn't believe it, but was upgraded to Polaris Business Class from PVG to SFO. That made a world of a difference to my comfort. I am a Plat, so this was a very big surprise.

The funny thing was this happened to me in October too, between LAX and NRT. I was travelling with a friend and I attempted to decline the upgrade at the podium, but they said "You never say no to an upgrade!" and upgraded my friend too (with no status).

Is this the "surprise and delight" thing? I know my October experience was 100% full in economy, so maybe they needed the seat. But from Shanghai, it wasn't full.
Nice lol!!!

2/2 for CPU in 2017(YYC-IAH-YYC)!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Shout out to the bartending staff at the Chicago UCs for comping me beers every time they see me
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by alanstar
(I didn't even realize that a SDC could be the previous day, I thought it had to be the same day.)
THIS is why some of us are flying UA, even though there may be better flying options out of BOS.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
At IAH there's a UC staff member who is very engaged in cleaning up after people, walking the floor, etc. This is normal, but he's doing it with enthusiasm, a smile, and constantly greeting everyone with a general air of happiness.

It was so noticeable I couldn't help but think that he made a new years resolution to do so. I was experience a 3 hour delay, but couldn't help but smile at his enthusiasm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.