Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

If you fail to make status, does UA offer a second chance / buyup program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In recent years, in January (typically second week or so), UA has offered status-buy programs to those that failed short of the normal requirements in the previous year. Generally UA has limited to no more than an additional 15K PQMs of 15 PQSs ( and similiar limits for PQDs).

recent programs
January 2013
January 2014
January 2015
January 2016
Print Wikipost

If you fail to make status, does UA offer a second chance / buyup program?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Will not make Premier Silver this year;does UA ever offer a way to obtain it end year

Wondering because in the past, CO used to sometimes offer long time Premier status holders a way to obtain their status for the following year, if they didnt quite make it.

For example, I remember once, they offered me to upgrade to Silver by transferring a couple thousand points to my account

I have some FEQM i can also use; I am pretty far short this year (have been flying Virgin quite a bit)
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
Wondering because in the past, CO used to sometimes offer long time Premier status holders a way to obtain their status for the following year, if they didnt quite make it. ....
In January, it is common for there to be a status buyup - not cheap and better to purchase PQM now or convert FEQM.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2016-a.html

Also one could question whether it is worth much to buyup for Silver, when many of the credit credits offer similiar beneifts.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Interesting. Thank you.

Suffice it to say i should take a "wait and see" tactic on it.

If I decide to transfer FEQM, must i do it prior to 12/31 or is there a period I can do it by
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Your profile lists Marriott Plat. All signs (or rather lack of signs) suggest that the RewardsPlus program will continue to operate in 2017. Given that, you will receive UA Silver due to your Marriott Plat so no need to transfer anything as long as you are Marriott Plat for 2017.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... If I decide to transfer FEQM, must i do it prior to 12/31 or is there a period I can do it by
Believe you have until March (1st?)of next year

Originally Posted by Duke787
Your profile lists Marriott Plat. All signs (or rather lack of signs) suggest that the RewardsPlus program will continue to operate in 2017. Given that, you will receive UA Silver due to your Marriott Plat so no need to transfer anything as long as you are Marriott Plat for 2017.
+1 (but you need to register)
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, they have done these offers in the past. That doesn't mean they'll do it every year, or that the threshold they used last year will be the same they use this year.

What is likely to be common among any offers this year than in the past: they will likely be not worth it for almost everyone. In the past, the offers I've seen would only have been worth it if you only needed a very small amount (i.e. 1000 miles), and even then, still fairly expensive.

If its only silver, the poster above was spot on wiht the CC comment - the Explorer card gets you basically all of the silver benefits except E+ and better IRROPS handling for <$100 year.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
For me, the difference between CC and actual Silver status is pretty big. E+ is actually a pretty big deal for a lot of people, and I love my exit rows. Also, the CC benefits only kick in if the CC is used to purchase the ticket. I don't have this choice when traveling on business.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
I am actually Gold, no longer Plat
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by emcampbe

What is likely to be common among any offers this year than in the past: they will likely be not worth it for almost everyone. In the past, the offers I've seen would only have been worth it if you only needed a very small amount (i.e. 1000 miles), and even then, still fairly expensive.
Yes, this. If you are sure you will fall short, and sure you want to spend the money to reach that status level you almost certainly are better off buying a cheap ticket that gets you the necessary PQMs and to a mileage run in December. The pricing appeared to be well above what one could have gotten a reasonable ticket for (obviously without accounting for time) or even purchasing PQMs through the various ticket/buy PQMs/cancel approaches.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes, they have done these offers in the past. That doesn't mean they'll do it every year, or that the threshold they used last year will be the same they use this year.

If its only silver, the poster above was spot on wiht the CC comment - the Explorer card gets you basically all of the silver benefits except E+ and better IRROPS handling for <$100 year.
I have the Prez Plus MC and the VISA MP Select.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I am actually Gold, no longer Plat
IIRC it is good for Gold as well. You should be fine.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cargojon
IIRC it is good for Gold as well. You should be fine.
Nope just Plat.

The program definitely favors UA elites; they benefit all the way down to Gold.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
For me, the difference between CC and actual Silver status is pretty big. E+ is actually a pretty big deal for a lot of people, and I love my exit rows. Also, the CC benefits only kick in if the CC is used to purchase the ticket. I don't have this choice when traveling on business.
Agree. I'm going to hit Gold this year but I would not travel regularly without at least Silver. E- seats are criminally small and premier check in makes a huge difference in when I need to show up at the airport.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Agreed. I'm also way over 5/24 so I can't get the MP Explorer card, so I'm debating a cheap ticket to put me over the edge to requal for Silver. I really, really don't want to go back to sitting in E-
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:41 pm

But for some it may be cheaper / easier to purchase E+ access or subscription (both provide access to E+ at booking which Silver does not) than to fly the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.