Wiki Posts
Search

IAH-HNL 777 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

IAH-HNL 777 upgrade

I finally went ahead & waitlisted the IAH-HNL nonstop 777 for a miles/cash upgrade. Looking at the seating chart, it shows no seats reserved out of the 32 Business/First seats.

Does using an RPU to upgrade trump the miles/cash request? And since Houston and Newark to HNL aren't good with CPU upgrades, does that mean than an RPU can't be used for this route also and that a systemwide would be needed to upgrade on the 777 IAH-HNL?

Any guesses on how late in the game it will be before UA releases any seats for upgrade? And will when it was requested have anything to do with it in their process?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:44 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
full fare, then by status. an instrument is an instrument.

ewr and iah are not cpu-able

best use of an rpu is for hawaii

you could use a gpu but that's not the best use

http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/u...ines-upgrades/
1) Full fare tickets, ranked by fare class first and then elite status.
2) Upgrades using miles or systemwide/regional upgrade instruments, ranked by elite status (of the traveler), then fare class, and then time of request.
3) Global Services members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
4) Global Services members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
5) Premier 1K members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
6) Premier 1K members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
7) Premier Platinum members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
8) Premier Platinum members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
9) Premier Gold members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
10) Premier Gold members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
11) Premier Silver members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
12) Premier Silver members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
13) “Tens of dollars” upgrades should be offered last, but if you’re offered one at check-in there are always scattered reports popping up that these clear before complimentary elite upgrades.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
I finally went ahead & waitlisted the IAH-HNL nonstop 777 for a miles/cash upgrade. Looking at the seating chart, it shows no seats reserved out of the 32 Business/First seats.

Does using an RPU to upgrade trump the miles/cash request? And since Houston and Newark to HNL aren't good with CPU upgrades, does that mean than an RPU can't be used for this route also and that a systemwide would be needed to upgrade on the 777 IAH-HNL?

Any guesses on how late in the game it will be before UA releases any seats for upgrade? And will when it was requested have anything to do with it in their process?
It's an RPU eligible flight. Theoretically, the RPU and miles + co-pay upgrade have same priority, with upgrades prioritized by Premier status and fare class.

Anyone's guess when, or if, they will release R (upgrade) space.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's an RPU eligible flight. Theoretically, the RPU and miles + co-pay upgrade have same priority, with upgrades prioritized by Premier status and fare class.

Anyone's guess when, or if, they will release R (upgrade) space.
I've been waitlisted for an RPU and had it clear at 30 days out, within 10 minutes of departure time. There must have been a sweep at the 30 day mark on that route (YVR-ORD)
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cur
http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/u...ines-upgrades/
1) Full fare tickets, ranked by fare class first and then elite status.
2) Upgrades using miles or systemwide/regional upgrade instruments, ranked by elite status (of the traveler), then fare class, and then time of request.
3) Global Services members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
4) Global Services members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
5) Premier 1K members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
6) Premier 1K members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
7) Premier Platinum members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
8) Premier Platinum members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
9) Premier Gold members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
10) Premier Gold members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
11) Premier Silver members and companions, ranked by fare class and then time of request.
12) Premier Silver members on award tickets with qualifying credit card.
13) “Tens of dollars” upgrades should be offered last, but if you’re offered one at check-in there are always scattered reports popping up that these clear before complimentary elite upgrades.
This list has multiple errors and if it came for the website, it is a good reason not to trust any info from there

GS upgrades are all types from from PN and are then above any type of non-GS upgrade.

Listing cash upgrades (ToDs or any other type) is non sequitur, and there is no waitlist -- they are immediately affective.

The list does not separate CPU from other types of upgrades which could lead to confusion.

No mention of waitlisted awards.

No mention of waitlisted 1Ks on Y/B/M instant upgrade fares.

Unclear why full fare tickets are listed unless this refers to a dis-accommodated passenger or out dated reference to Instant Upgrades.

A more complete explanation would cover the differences of the advance waitlist and gate waitlist.

The list reflects multiple mis-understandings of the present waitlist process.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2016 at 12:45 pm Reason: thought of a couple more issues
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
For reference on R class

I booked RT fro IAD-HNL last month for next July
2 sets of 2 tickets
The OB IAD-HNL went from R0 to R1 to R2 in a matter of 3 weeks and both those cleared. Other 2 tickets are XN class waiting on IN to open

Return was booked IN and I put myself on the RPU as a 1K I will be at top of the list, where my kids would probably never clear waitlisted with no status - and i wanted 2 guaranteed seats in FC no matter what.

There is no ryhme or reason as to how the come up or go away
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
While not from IAH, Mrs CALMSP and I booked K and used RPUs to sit in the upper deck on the 744 over New Years this past year SFO-HNL. Loved it!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IAH-HNL is RPU eligible, and you should definitely use one if you have them instead of miles+cash (they have the same priority). As said, anyone's guess if/when they open R.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unclear why full fare tickets are listed unless this refers to a dis-accommodated passenger or out dated reference to Instant Upgrades.
My guess is it's from when Y-ups cleared to JN. Wikis get out of date
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:22 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium

The list does not separate CPU from other types of upgrades which could lead to confusion.

No mention of waitlisted awards.

No mention of waitlisted 1Ks on Y/B/M instant upgrade fares.

A more complete explanation would cover the differences of the advance waitlist and gate waitlist.

The list reflects multiple mis-understandings of the present waitlist process.
cpu is separated from instruments, ranked 2)

booked in c but seated in y awards would qualify under 1) right?

1k and plat on ybm are listed as 1)

i thought there is no explanation for advance and gate waitlist, ie: ua it. user should always check for r and then call in. then some arbitrary sweep 30 days out, then the 96/72/48/24/day of for cpu that nobody understands the logic of (eg gold gets cpu 48hrs in a cabin booked 5/6 yet a plat #1 on the list at 96 would not get a cpu with cabin booked 1/14), then 8 (or whatever) hours before it's to the gate
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cur
cpu is separated from instruments, ranked 2) ...
don't see it and 2 is the wrong place

Originally Posted by cur
booked in c but seated in y awards would qualify under 1) right? ...
not in advance of travel, awards are different fare classes. At the gate rarely works that way.

Originally Posted by cur
1k and plat on ybm are listed as 1) ...
Plats are not eligible for instant upgrade waitlisting

Originally Posted by cur
i thought there is no explanation for advance and gate waitlist, ie: ua it. user should always check for r and then call in. then some arbitrary sweep 30 days out, then the 96/72/48/24/day of for cpu that nobody understands the logic of (eg gold gets cpu 48hrs in a cabin booked 5/6 yet a plat #1 on the list at 96 would not get a cpu with cabin booked 1/14), then 8 (or whatever) hours before it's to the gate
????

bottom line, that list has so many errors, it is not useful. --- it should be repaired or removed.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
bottom line, that list has so many errors, it is not useful. --- it should be repaired or removed.
Particularly since upgrade priority is described with relative clarity on the UA site. Mileage Plus Upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.