Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DL launching Delta ONE DCA-LAX. Will UA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver

Orig article: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/delt...rvice-dca-lax/

Does anyone wonder if UA will expand p.s. service on its WAS-LAX/SFO routes (many of which are already lie-flat)?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Does UA even have that many 757-200s available to expand from LAX/SFO - WAS routes? I would think not, especially for all flights into IAD.
I was under the impression that Delta has 1-2 slots for LAX -> DCA. My best guess is that UA could possibly respond by placing a 757-200 for its DCA-> SFO route, but wouldn't that mean less seats as UA currently uses a 757-300?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If it means $1,500 one-way Z fares and a 30-day AP for affordable P, no thank you

SFO-DCA is a 753 this month but is frequently a 738 as well. I actually haven't noticed the loads command a premium over similarly timed IAD flights (perhaps due to a lack of connections on the DCA end). UA is slot restricted to 1x daily SFO-DCA. That being said they were selling the 3-class 772s IAD-SFO at a huge premium and nobody was biting - would regularly go out with over 70% of the J cabin on upgrades.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
That being said they were selling the 3-class 772s IAD-SFO at a huge premium and nobody was biting - would regularly go out with over 70% of the J cabin on upgrades.
Wonder if more would have taken it, if the flight wasn't CPU-eligible.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Wonder if more would have taken it, if the flight wasn't CPU-eligible.
The vast majority of those were cleared instruments, but it is a good point. They were asking $1,200 o/w for J (P class) and $2,700 for F. The fact that regular F could be had for $500 probably swayed it too. If they can reliably get premium traffic to pay four digits on the route I'll have to rethink my travel choices..
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
No. They (UA) don't compete on DCA - SFO and don't fly DCA - LAX so no need to bring lie-flats to DCA.

Plus they already have 777s (international and Hawaii) on the occasional IAD - LAX/SFO and some 752s mostly timed to TPACs and TATLs for lie-flats the whole way. If anything I think IAD - LAX/SFO is a prime candidate for the dreaded 777HD.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Is this true Delta One or just reusing a plane with IPTE like UA does on IAHDEN?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by revigik
Is this true Delta One or just reusing a plane with IPTE like UA does on IAHDEN?
Not known yet (at least that I've seen) if it will be treated as a D1 flight or just have D1 seats but regular domestic service a la UA on IAH - DEN (or JFK - SEA where DL regularly runs 752s with D1 seats but regular domestic F service)
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Duke787
Not known yet (at least that I've seen) if it will be treated as a D1 flight or just have D1 seats but regular domestic service a la UA on IAH - DEN (or JFK - SEA where DL regularly runs 752s with D1 seats but regular domestic F service)
Amazing how people quickly jump to conclusions of a major business strategy...
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The linked blogpost only says that the seats will be lie flat. Nothing is said about service levels.

And regardless of which it'll be, UA is not the target of this move. The difference in product offering between AS and DL is enormous, so it'll be interesting to see how AS will choose to approach pricing on this route.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:03 pm

See SEA-JFK for Delta's history of sticking with lie flats on non-core routes.

That one got lie flats on every flight, the full D1 treatment for soft product, and was meant to feed the now withering DL Asia hub at SEA.

And was rolled back in less than a year.

Typical Delta vaporware.

This is all about dealing with Alaska.

16 seats a day isn't going to change things for UA, esp since they have chosen SFO as their nonstop out of DCA.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It is just one flight a day by Delta and detailed service information is still not known! UA is not going to bring PS service to DC because one Delta flight.

Stop wondering!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Where will UA get an additional DCA Perimeter exempted slot? UA only has 2 perimeter exempted flights out of DCA (SFO and DEN). DL is swaping on of its 2 SLC slots for the LAX-DCA.

UA is already offering lie-flat aircraft LAX-IAD.

Non-event.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

UA is already offering lie-flat aircraft LAX-IAD.

Non-event.
Two daily IAD-LAX with lie-flat. One on 752 and another on 772.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by revigik
If it was a Delta One route, it would say "Delta One" on the booking page, not "First". DL flies lie-flat's on a number of routes which are not actually Delta One routes. For example, you can often find lie-flat equipment on JFK-SEA even though this is no longer a Delta One route. As with the DCA-LAX route, these are sold as "First".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.