Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Would a ticket booked through AmEx Travel be 016?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:21 am
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Looking to book a ticket through AmEx travel. I'm assuming that I won't get PQD and that it won't be a 016 ticket, but do any of you have any experience with this?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Does AmEx travel honor the 24-hour cancellation option with no fees? If so, you could always purchase a ticket and see if it books into 016
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have tried to call and ask? In fact, if you book by phone, you might be able to specify the ticket stock you want if it's reasonable.

Is this corporate travel, one of their city travel agencies, or PTS/CTS?

AFAIK AmEx doesn't do funny stuff with plane tickets so if it's all UA segments, I would certainly expect UA ticket stock. Otherwise IME they follow the rule of ticketing on the stock of the carrier operating or marketing the first longhaul segment.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:33 am
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have tried to call and ask? In fact, if you book by phone, you might be able to specify the ticket stock you want if it's reasonable.

Is this corporate travel, one of their city travel agencies, or PTS/CTS?

AFAIK AmEx doesn't do funny stuff with plane tickets so if it's all UA segments, I would certainly expect UA ticket stock. Otherwise IME they follow the rule of ticketing on the stock of the carrier operating or marketing the first longhaul segment.
So this is actually where it gets complicated. Its just personal travel. What I'm trying to do is use some leftover membership rewards toward the cost of the ticket. Unfortunately its not all UA, it would include a flight on LH as well. Another itinerary I was looking at was all LH flights. I feel like in that case they would say it has to be on LH stock right? I'm ideally just trying to decrease the cost of the ticket by using membership rewards points towards the cost, trying to fly LH and still get UA PQM/PQD.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Given that you're talking about UA and LH, I will assume that you are talking about transatlantic travel. With this assumption:

If the first overwater segment is marketed by UA, the ticket will by default be issued on UA stock. AmEx can change that if they'd like, but there probably isn't any reason they'd want to.

Let's say your itinerary is EWR-FRA roundtrip.

If the first overwater segment is EWR-FRA operated and marketed UA, then it will probably ticket on UA stock.
If the first overwater segment is EWR-FRA operated and marketed by LH, then it will probably ticket on LH stock.
If the first overwater segment is EWR-FRA operated by LH but booked as a UA codeshare, it will probably ticket on UA stock.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Even if it is 016, they may sell you a bulk fare, which earns no PQD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.