Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Where Are All The "Dragons" And Nastiness People Complain About

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Where Are All The "Dragons" And Nastiness People Complain About

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
My home airport is EWR and as others have said, I have never had a problem at check-in there (or anywhere else).

For the great majority of us, all we want to do is enter, have our pass scanned or card swiped and go in, which usually happens. And if we need additional service (seats changed, flights changed, etc), we get that too.

So when do we hear about The Dragons being DRAGONS?

When those who don't get let in either because of overcrowding (all too common these days due to the renovations at many clubs) or they are not qualified to go in (Domestic First Class, for example).

Sometime I think we hear complaints because the person behind the desk isn't their ideal receptionist (think Loni Anderson in WKRP In Cincinnati--bright, beautiful and with the most perfect smile and greeting).

I just feel that if you are nice and polite and you deserve to go in, you should have a pleasant and brief exchange. What more do you want?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by seat38a
The problem with lounge access seems to be at ALL lounges worldwide. I can't remember the last time I didn't see a group of people whipping out every card in their wallet to see if one of them lets them in.
To be fair to some, there are so many lounges and different rules with each one, it can be hard to tell what can get you in or not.

All I can say is that if you are polite and you ask for help in getting admittance, you will get that help. But you will have to face the downside that you may not get that admission. If so, accept it, thank them for their time and calmly leave.

We just happen to hear about when the dragons have to be dragons: people who can't accept they can't get in and what happens when that happens.

If more people acted like the humble and polite Lt. Columbo and less like the perpetually surly Sgt. Joe Friday, the front desk would be a better place.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
8 segments is a very small sample size.

I'm around ~120 segments and 160,000 BIS miles so far this year. And my experience over the years has been pretty consistent - so much that you can refer to it as "Cato's law of United service":

1/3 is downright bad (i.e. openly rude or discourteous service); 1/3 is meh; and 1/3 is actually good.

That's compared to a LH, LX, or OS, for example, where the downright bad percent is less than 5%.
I too am a 1K.

I do not find LH FA's to be any better than UA FA's. And I would say that goes for all the rest of the European airlines I have flown on. I have experienced poor FA's only a very, very small number of times. The vast majority are good and I have also experienced exceptional FA's like on my LAX-IAD flight 2 weeks ago.

When I fly TATL, I always try to reserve on UA metal rather than LH. I prefer the UA service and food to LH's.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Never encountered a dragon.

Most of the UAUA transpac "prison matrons" of yore are probably retired by now. They weren't bad either.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
First year flying UA, never encountered a dragon, everyone's been super friendly and Club agents are beyond helpful on the couple occasions where I got hit with IRROPs, including during the Denver snowstorm back in March.

In fact, I find Americans in the service industry generally much friendlier and helpful. Canadians are actually quite snobbish when it comes to customer service. I still fly AC once in awhile but generally only when necessary, they've improved a bit but I still prefer UA's people.

Was at SEA's UA Club tonight and they shut it down at 1830 for the transition to the new food offerings. Even in kicking us out the agent was super friendly and apologetic. If it was a MLL I'm sure we would just be told sternly to {leave}.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2016 at 12:57 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Absolutely. And I will admit that my standards, formed by a European upbringing, are higher than most. For example, I consider the following rude or discourteous:

* Taking away someone's food or drink (other than PDB) without asking, while they are still consuming it
* Sticking food or drink in someone's face, instead of handing it to them or putting it on the tray table
* Bumping or pushing past someone without saying "excuse me"

A lot of people would not consider any of these to be rude. But note these are behaviors I almost never witness on Lufthansa or other decent international carriers.

Comments/incidents like the one noted in my sig. below are more around the 5% level.
I share the same metrics and standards, although I do not recall your third point ever happening to me.I would add the following two points that get my attention
* On occasion if I have been taking a stretch on a long haul and maybe speaking with an FA and another comes up and speaks to them like you are not there
* Lack of eye contact, continuing with a conversation with a co worker if you check into a lounge.

I suppose we all have our own needs and peeves,generally I am treated quite well overall and expect that in workforce the size of UA's they are not all going to be perfect.
Again in contrast as a OW Emerald through QF the sterile unhelpful service posters refer to on Asian carriers is something I have also not found, on the ground or in air and on the times I have needed service through IRROPS or dodgy meal ( everyone has cut back somewhat)Agents and FA"S have been very helpful and pleasant.
The big stand out for me is consistency and fully agree with Deming that variation is the enemy.As a 13 or 14 (can't remember when it began) GS customer the variation on UA is huge and find it much more consistent on the OW carriers I use for the bulk of my travel .I think this is the biggest challenge they have in the quest to get customers back who have left and those like me who have demoted them from being their primary carrier.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Only very rarely do I have enough transit time to make good use of a lounge, but recently in DEN's UC West the woman was just as nice and welcoming as she could be, and even complimented my wife's shirt. Granted, the load inside was pretty low (plenty of chairs and power outlets) so it may have been an easy day thus far...
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
EWR is consistently bad. SFO is a mixed bad. The rest are generally good.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Seby12
EWR is consistently bad. SFO is a mixed bad. The rest are generally good.
I promise you - a smile and warm greeting at EWR will get the favor returned. Every time.

I'm here right now and had zero issues; I got what I gave. Happy begets happy.

In fact, I'm pleased to report that it appears they brought chairs over from the Term A club during its renovation to add capacity at C2. The window seats used to be 2x2 chairs. Now they're 3x3 - and it's helping. Tremendously.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Oy, this is reminding me.... Everytime I have an irrops on *A in Europe, I've had bad experiences. Gate agents can't seem to do reroutes, and neither can club agents (on either revenue or award tickets). I often find myself saying, "I wish I were on United right now."

UA Club agents have been Godsends in irrops. And while they may get overwhelmed, I find that a kindly smile on our end and a little empathy goes a long way.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:04 am

I think perception of EWR varies strongly with whether or not a customer is a local (NJ/NY) resident or from elsewhere. Locals are quite used to the casual rudeness and minimal effort service that is so common in that area. Others - not so much.

As someone who lived there, but no longer, I can definitely see how that can color one's opinion.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:42 am

I've only had two bad experiences -- the GF lounge in SFO and the regular lounge at PHX.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
I think perception of EWR varies strongly with whether or not a customer is a local (NJ/NY) resident or from elsewhere. Locals are quite used to the casual rudeness and minimal effort service that is so common in that area. Others - not so much.

As someone who lived there, but no longer, I can definitely see how that can color one's opinion.
Casual rudeness - especially to those who don't conform to local culture, nails the zeitgeist of EWR perfectly!

Having grown up in Jersey, I find it easy to return to the local culture and offer the right cues to avoid this reaction. But if you pass through EWR with a Midwestern or Southern expectation/display of manners, things may not work out so well.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:34 am

There are some "dragons" out there, but as with most things they are not the majority of UNITED employees.

I had two encounters with a UNITED "dragon" and both times they were not pleasant and they do stick in the mind even when most dealing with UNITED employees are benign.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
Casual rudeness - especially to those who don't conform to local culture, nails the zeitgeist of EWR perfectly!

Having grown up in Jersey, I find it easy to return to the local culture and offer the right cues to avoid this reaction. But if you pass through EWR with a Midwestern or Southern expectation/display of manners, things may not work out so well.
Exactly. As a local, you learn quickly how to deal with this and, in many cases, elicit a positive outcome.

But saying that someone is "nice" because it is possible to get that person to act in acceptable manner through carefully modifying one's own behavior is like saying that an animal is not dangerous because trained persons can avoid being attacked (and some can even make it do tricks ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.