Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So Where Are All The "Dragons" And Nastiness People Complain About

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Where Are All The "Dragons" And Nastiness People Complain About

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by halls120
This. EWR and the SFO IFL have cornered the market on nastiness when it comes to UA employees.
I got stellar help from SFO Intl business.

EWR, well ... less. A lot less.

And then there are the cases where employees are enforcing true, albeit stupid, rules. Want a beer in ORD? Show me some ID.

My fellow pax (an American living in Paris), well into his 50s, was less than enthusiastic.The employee was doing his job, however, enforcing laws that stupid politicians dreamed to solve an very marginal problem.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
TBH, I've generally encountered very nice folks at the UCs in EWR (at least in Terminal C) when it comes to inquiring about different things about flights.

It's the non-UA folks (like the people manning the security lines) that have zero empathy for anyone.

And honestly - if I need something to get taken care of stat, I just call the hotline anyways.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof
Yeah. Try EWR on a Friday afternoon during the summer thunderstorm season, or during a January blizzard, and let us all know how much milk of human kindness is flowing through the ground staff's veins.
Never had a problem. It isn't flowery feel-good stuff but the folks in EWR are just trying to get the job done. Of course I'm always departing or arriving EWR, never transiting so maybe that changes things.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Never had a problem. It isn't flowery feel-good stuff but the folks in EWR are just trying to get the job done. Of course I'm always departing or arriving EWR, never transiting so maybe that changes things.
You're right. I've never had a problem originating or terminating at EWR. It's when there's a blown connection during wx that things can get ugly.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:53 pm

Never

I have been a 1K for over 15 years. I have never had anyone at a United Club that was rude at checkin.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'll pull up an old thread of mine!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-happy-ua.html
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
You're right. I've never had a problem originating or terminating at EWR. It's when there's a blown connection during wx that things can get ugly.
If no IRROPS, EWR is actually very good. I have learned to take care of connection problems BEFORE I get to EWR. And most UC staff have been nothing short of wonderful (well, but then at SFO GFL/IFL.. although the issue there, I guess, is that they probably have to turn away a vast majority of potential entrants).
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skidooman
I got stellar help from SFO Intl business.
The first time I ever used the new SFO international terminal, I inadvertently walked past the UC. Walking down the terminal, I saw the UA IFC lounge. I went in to ask where I could find the UC, and the lounge dragon couldn't have been more nasty in her response.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by trk1
I have been a 1K for over 15 years. I have never had anyone at a United Club that was rude at checkin.
Mostly true. But there is a sub-category of dragon who just takes your BP
scans it throws it back at you and then turns back to the other worker and starts chatting again. Not rude, per se, but hardly welcoming. I think they learned this from the LH Dragons who are the masters at this. They have a one up as they stare down their noses at you while doing so.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steveo
Apparently Newark

Seriously though, at ORD the lounge dragons are getting screamed at every time I'm in the clubs due to their overcrowding with the club upgrades. Note sure if I've ever seen a bigger group of jerks than the behavior of some of my fellow UA flyers.
I haven't seen this specifically, but I often see people arguing with them at ORD about admittance to the clubs. Long before the remodels, and even before the merger. I don't stick around for most of these, but where I have, I've yet to see one where the passenger was right.

If I had to put up with people like that, it would certainly try my patience. My own experience is no different with lounge employees than with any other UA staff...if I'm polite and friendly to them, I receive the same in return 99% of the time.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
I am a Philadelphia area native so it takes a lot for me to think someone is 'nasty'. We just have a warm and kind natural temperament up here in the North East so I tend to assume the dragon talk comes from people not from this area that are more sensitive to these kinds of things. I don't know. I have had good and bad experiences all over the world with all kinds of different airlines.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
What we really need is more passengers with empathy for staff, and staff empowered to have more empathy for passengers.

Also I think that a lot of the complaints come from people who incorrectly think they are eligible to use the lounge.

Rules that make sense to us which could reasonably confuse others:
Club memberships do not provide entry to IFLS
UA Gold admits only on international flights; other *G on all flights
Most domestic first does not include lounge access, but premium transcons do
Not all drinks are free
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
My own experience is no different with lounge employees than with any other UA staff...if I'm polite and friendly to them, I receive the same in return 99% of the time.
This. I always try and be polite and friendly, and in almost every case, even if they can't give me everything I am asking for, and I consider myself pretty reasonable, usually, they at least try as best they can.

Originally Posted by Fleck
Perfect.
8 seconds of perceived rude gets blow up on FT for 3 days
This. It's much more unlikely that people are reporting the good experiences, and even the ones where staff are exceptional and go above and beyond, whereas some will complain at the first hint that something isn't 100% proper. Or in some cases, they complain when they know they are in the wrong, but an employee doesn't go out of the way to break the rules for them (I.e. Threads where people know they arrived X minutes passed the check in cutoff, and they know it's their fault, but are still upset when an agent won't check them in).

Last edited by emcampbe; Sep 11, 2016 at 9:11 pm
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:06 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
What we really need is more passengers with empathy for staff, and staff empowered to have more empathy for passengers.

Also I think that a lot of the complaints come from people who incorrectly think they are eligible to use the lounge.

Rules that make sense to us which could reasonably confuse others:
Club memberships do not provide entry to IFLS
UA Gold admits only on international flights; other *G on all flights
Most domestic first does not include lounge access, but premium transcons do
Not all drinks are free
The problem with lounge access seems to be at ALL lounges worldwide. I can't remember the last time I didn't see a group of people whipping out every card in their wallet to see if one of them lets them in.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mduell
Places you were lucky enough not to transit: Newark and SFO (at least the IFL there)
Lol I have 6 segments this week,come join me and I will show you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.