Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Use Miles to pay for In-Flight WIFI and TSA Pre-Check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use Miles to pay for In-Flight WIFI and TSA Pre-Check

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Use Miles to pay for In-Flight WIFI and TSA Pre-Check

Just got an e-mail about this...

10,000 miles for TSA Precheck: https://securityfees.mileageplus.com/

Can't find pricing for WIFI (e-mail says "as low as 300 miles") and it is for Airbus Only for now.

Not great value but at least another option.

Last edited by username; Aug 6, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah me too.

I didn't even know they sell TSA Pre-Check. I thought it was a perk for being an elite.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Miles for wifi is a nice option. I'd like to see pricing, but I have more RDMs than I need and this is better than shelling out $14 or whatever it is for wifi that only works 25% of the time.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
10k miles for an $85 fee? not a good deal...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by wco81
I didn't even know they sell TSA Pre-Check. I thought it was a perk for being an elite.
As TSA pre-check started, United seeded it with frequent travelers, including me. At random, one still ends up sometimes without a TSA Pre-Check boarding pass. After several flights in a row without precheck, I learned that one's odds improve with an actual "Known Traveler Number" (KTN).

One gets a KTN by applying for either TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry (or NEXUS or SENTRI). Each of these programs have fees. Global Entry is a few dollars more, and as a perk also includes Global Entry, so it seems the no-brainer choice even if one only flies international once during a five year period. You'll thank yourself eventually.

Global Entry Program

The wait is substantial for the interview, for either program. Get started, now.

Once you receive a KTN, log in to United.com, "View Account", scroll to "Profile" and click on "Edit Traveler Information". Now update your Known Traveler Number. This needs to be on file with United (and anyone else you fly) to have any effect.

So yes, a form of TSA Pre-Check was free to elites, but it was inferior to the form one pays for. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by Syzygies; Aug 6, 2016 at 1:34 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wco81
.... I didn't even know they sell TSA Pre-Check. I thought it was a perk for being an elite.
Elite PreCheck is not an ongoing program. You can get it as a part of programs like Global Entry or you can purchase a 5 year subscription for $85 (or airline miles) or you can get it intermittently due to past history or you can randomly get it.

However, the old airline elite program has closed. Appears many who qualifies in the past are continuing to qualify but no guarantees.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Syzygies
As TSA pre-check started, United seeded it with frequent travelers, including me. At random, one still ends up sometimes without a TSA Pre-Check boarding pass. After several flights in a row without precheck, I learned that one's odds improve with an actual "Known Traveler Number" (KTN).

One gets a KTN by applying for either TSA Pre-Check or Global Entry (or NEXUS or SENTRI). Each of these programs have fees. Global Entry is a few dollars more, and as a perk also includes Global Entry, so it seems the no-brainer choice even if one only flies international once during a five year period. You'll thank yourself eventually.
I think you mean includes TSA PreCheck, right?

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Global Entry Program

The wait is substantial for the interview, for either program. Get started, now.
If you are persistent and willing to constantly refresh the website, you can often get an interview within 1-2 weeks. And by "persistent" I mean I was watching a basketball game and refreshing every time the ball changed possession.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
On a flight this week, one of the inflight wifi paying option was $5.99 paid or 750 miles, for one hour.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pay with points for wifi has been around since last November. That it is still only on a small portion of the fleet is hardly something to brag about IMO. Not a great CPM number but it is a small purchase generally and I'm sure the company will get takers.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by username
Just got an e-mail about this...

10,000 miles for TSA Precheck: https://securityfees.mileageplus.com/

Can't find pricing for WIFI (e-mail says "as low as 300 miles") and it is for Airbus Only for now.

Not great value but at least another option.
They may say Airbus only, but I recently used 1250 miles for 2 hours of service on a 739 (UA 1797 IAD-SFO). I believe the equivalent cash pricing was $8.99

They offer 1 hour, 2 hour and all flight service, which, IIRC, is
-$5.99, $8.99, $15.99 if you pay cash
-750, 1250, ??? if you use miles -- i can't remember the full flight miles price.

I mostly used miles as a curiosity since it was the first time I had seen the option, and paid for wifi on the return (SFO-DCA, same pricing). 1250 miles vs $8.99 is a poor deal, as it values the miles at $.007/miles, and I can get $.02/mile buying saver Y tickets, or $.0375/mile buying one way upgrades. One nice thing about the new pay-with-miles option is that wifi is linked to the MP account, which means saved credit cards can be used--saving a tedious 5 minutes of typing in my address and CC# every flight.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by STS-134
I think you mean includes TSA PreCheck, right
TSA Pre✓® is 5 years for $85. Global Entry is 5 years for $100. The primary purpose of either program is to provide a Known Traveler Number. For an extra $15, Global Entry also provides Global Entry.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I paid 2000 miles for WiFi on a 787 LAX-EWR ps flight in July. I have such an absurdly huge pile of miles, that the marginal value of 2000 for me is close to zero, so I love using them to pay for WiFi.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA MM
I always get Pre on United, status related for sure. I did not buy it, and so far have resisted because it annoys me no end that the American way seems to be to make life hard for all, then sell an easy way out for those who can afford it.

But now I fear I won't get my UA Pre because they can monetize it...
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I always get Pre on United, status related for sure. I did not buy it, and so far have resisted because it annoys me no end that the American way seems to be to make life hard for all, then sell an easy way out for those who can afford it.

But now I fear I won't get my UA Pre because they can monetize it...
You shouldn't worry, its not controlled by UA.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
You shouldn't worry, its not controlled by UA.
Well, it's controlled by the government. Maybe that means they should worry even more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.