Wiki Posts
Search

New look for saver availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
New look for saver availability

When searching for award flights, the availability calendar up top has a new look. Instead of colored days based on availability, "saver award economy" has a blue line across the day, and "saver award premium cabin" has a dotted line on it. Functionally, it appears to be the same.

Last edited by EAA795; Jul 29, 2016 at 10:15 am
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:33 am

Harder to read.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA GS
It's really horrifying. I thought it was a bug at first.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Did somebody seriously think this was a good idea? I really hope it's just a temporary bug.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Excellent change. Not everyone has "normal" color vision (like 20-70% of males based on which studies you read), so shapes are a far better choice than color for indicating availability. I wish more web and UI designers would understand this.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's a terrible look, but it does not appear to be a bug.

I'll give United credit for this: the ability to see both Y and J award availability across entire months at a single glance is pretty nice. AA's site *looks* a lot better, but it takes a few extra clicks if you're looking for availability across multiple cabins.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Excellent change. Not everyone has "normal" color vision (like 20-70% of males based on which studies you read), so shapes are a far better choice than color for indicating availability. I wish more web and UI designers would understand this.
Excellent point, but how about this new marking AND color? It's not like they'd have to order extra paint.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Instead of changing the marking, how about fixing the accuracy of the marking?
I took a quick look at award availability for a route I'm looking to fly in the fall, and the markings were wrong for 5 days out of 7 in early September.
Either the marking in the calendar showed no award availability, but there was availability when looking though the flight listings, or the other way around.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Portolan
Excellent point, but how about this new marking AND color?
It might work if it's done well, but too much can sometimes lead to sensory overload.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it looks fine. Just have to reform the mental associations (solid -> economy; dots -> premium). If anything I find that easier to remember and scan than the colours.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by villox
It's really horrifying. I thought it was a bug at first.
This.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:55 am

I don't mind the change, but I agree that they at least should have kept the different colors.

The biggest annoyance for me personally is the "Mixed Cabin" search results. I wish there was a way to filter those out. Nothing really "premium" about a 1 hour segment in F followed by a 5 hour segment in Y.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
It's a nice enhancement, though different colors might help too.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by ddsyes
Harder to read.
Plus <insert my Boston accent here> it's WIKID UGLY!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:43 am

Inconsistent

The color coding was inaccurate in correctly capturing availability. I see that this has carried over to the new convention. If I end up clicking every day, this just beats the purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.