Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens to O ticket after Polaris conversion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle

I admit this is entirely speculative, but wanted to ask what will happen in the following scenario.

Background:

1. Party of 4 flying from ORD to FCO next June (me, wife, 2 kids).

2. Inventory showed 2 I and 2 O seats.

3. Booked 3 One-Way PNRs to snag the 4 seats: 1 O from wife's account, 1 O from my account, and 2 Is from my account.

4. United.com throws an error when trying to assign seats for any of the reservations.

5. Phone Agent is unable to assign seats, either, and says the error is one she encounters when a plane/seating change is likely.

This leads me to speculate if this is one of the 777s which will get retrofitted to Polaris before next June.

If that occurs, what happens to my 2 O saver tickets? Will they get downgraded to I savers and I get the miles back?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would assume the same - the O would convert to I, and you'd get a refund.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Give it a few weeks and you should be able to pick seats. Advance seat assignment usually isn't available for flights booked at the very outer limit of the schedule.

If O becomes I, you'll get the miles refunded and will be reseated in the J cabin. At that time, it will nominally be Polaris service, with the accompanying soft-product enhancements, but don't expect to see the new seats on 777s ex-ORD in 2017.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rflor
This leads me to speculate if this is one of the 777s which will get retrofitted to Polaris before next June.
Doubtful.

By next June, the only aircraft with the Polaris hard product will be the 77W and those are not presently planned for ORD.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by EWR764
Give it a few weeks and you should be able to pick seats. Advance seat assignment usually isn't available for flights booked at the very outer limit of the schedule.

If O becomes I, you'll get the miles refunded and will be reseated in the J cabin. At that time, it will nominally be Polaris service, with the accompanying soft-product enhancements, but don't expect to see the new seats on 777s ex-ORD in 2017.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Doubtful.

By next June, the only aircraft with the Polaris hard product will be the 77W and those are not presently planned for ORD.
Got it. I figured as much from reading the Polaris thread, but you never know what's changing.

I'll give it a few weeks and try to book seats then.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I had an O on a 763 change to I on a 764 aircraft swap last year. I had to call, but I did get the mileage difference back.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
If the plane changes from 3-cabin to 2-cabin, you'll get the refund of difference plus some apology miles.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
IF this does happen, you could also call UA and ask them to open O and I space for your party on a routing that does still have GlobalFirst.

For example, if ORD-FRA kept GlobalFirst, they could find available LH FRA-FCO and then put you in O on ORD-FRA on UA metal, even if it wasn't normally available. I've had them do this for a PNR that was only two O tickets, but if you were persistent, you might be able get them to move your kids in I, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.