Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

West Virginia legislator (&UA FO) makes inflammatory political statement;UA reviewing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

West Virginia legislator (&UA FO) makes inflammatory political statement;UA reviewing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

Pretty OMNI, but there's even a response from United...

Friday evening a Republican lawmaker from West Virginia called for former Secretary of State and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton to be publicly hung in Washington DC.

According to WOAY, Michael Folk, who serves in the West Virginia House of Delegates when he is not flying airplanes for United Airlines, posted a tweet stating: “@HillaryClinton You should be tried for treason, murder, and crimes against the US Constitution… then hung on the Mall in Washington, DC”

Folk’s tweet was screen-captured by the West Virginia Democratic Party which called Folk “unfit to serve.”

Twitter commenters have also sent screen captures to United Airlines which responded : “We are definitely aware, and are investigating this. Thanks for letting us know.”

Not sure this is the temperament I'd want behind the yoke...
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The United twitter account also responded to tweets by Debra Messing and Josh Charles and others with this response:

We are appalled by comments advocating harm to any person. They do not represent United Airlines and we are looking into the matter further.

I hope this guy enjoys his upcoming visit from the Secret Service (HRC has lifetime SS protection).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Gosh, I certainly wouldn't want to fly with such a reckless/careless (and seemingly ignorant) FO.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

This is obviously a sensitive topic and generally a better topic for OMNI. The legislator's actual statement and role outside of UA are not topics for the UA forum. How UA handles this is perhaps a topic for the UA forum. However any comments about any presidential candidate is clearly out of bounds for the UA Forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Don't forget, HRC is a former First Lady, former United States Senator and former Secretary of State. Not to mention candidate for President of the United States. Making comments like this will most likely result in a nice little visit by the United States Secret Service, which could lead to him losing security clearances because of this, even if no criminal charges result.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:33 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
United released this statement on Facebook a few minutes ago: "This pilot has been removed from his schedule and is not flying pending our investigation. We are appalled by his threatening comments."
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by l'etoile
United released this statement on Facebook a few minutes ago: "This pilot has been removed from his schedule and is not flying pending our investigation. We are appalled by his threatening comments."
And twitter
and separately
GOP lawmaker regrets calling for Clinton to be hanged

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 17, 2016 at 3:24 pm Reason: cnn.link
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by GSBEWR
Don't forget, HRC is a former First Lady, former United States Senator and former Secretary of State. Not to mention candidate for President of the United States. Making comments like this will most likely result in a nice little visit by the United States Secret Service, which could lead to him losing security clearances because of this, even if no criminal charges result.
He's a WV State Representative. Pretty sure that no security clearance is required.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
No idea if it's an offense worthy of termination, but I have to imagine some kind of leave (administrative or otherwise) is in order, at the very least.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Suspended now

United just suspended him!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I can't see any true termination or suspension here. I'm sure the union will point out comments have nothing to do with UA. And I'm not sure he was the one pointing out he works for UA.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:52 am

Drop him

This is not the type of person I want trusting my life with. Drop him like a rock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.