Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces Q2 2016 Results 19 July / Conference Call 20 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Announces Q2 2016 Results 19 July / Conference Call 20 July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Longboater
PRASM is a problem for the US3 right now, although DL is close to even.
I believe Cathay and Singapore have reported a similar drop in this metric as well. Haven't studied this closely enough but shouldn't this be tied in with the price of oil? I would assume net profit is a much better indicator of the health of an airline/industry.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by entropy
It looks like it was OK(better than expected) but not great.

they took a big charge for the slots at EWR, but otherwise looked ~~last year.

they're reducing the float another ~12% by adding $2B to the buyback, which is nothing to sneeze at, though in general, I don't think buybacks are the best use of that much cash.
Ignoring the size for a second.. there are investors who would argue that buybacks are superior to dividend payments due to the preferential tax treatment. Regardless, the net effect to the investor on the stock value (should) be the same.

I tell you what, if they can buyback the *entire* company, then its a lovely use of cash. Anything to get out of quarterly profit focus is a good thing. I do not believe they will ever buy their company back.

That being said, I agree with you, I would expect there to be a good use of at least some part of that 2B for additional capex.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by triplefives
I believe Cathay and Singapore have reported a similar drop in this metric as well. Haven't studied this closely enough but shouldn't this be tied in with the price of oil? I would assume net profit is a much better indicator of the health of an airline/industry.
I would attribute competition from ULCC/LCC is becoming a problem. DL is partially shielded from this due to relative lack of competition. (I'm sure DL is still sending Thank You notes to WN for buying up AirTran.) DL is very aggressive in scaring off any attempts of LCC/ULCC in encroaching on their natural territory of SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL. Likewise, UAL is has successful in fending off competition at IAD. (This is a secondary reason why UAL will never abandon IAD.)

I will say I am very pleased to see how UAL did last quarter. Obviously there is a different standard between UAL and DL. While DL is doing extremely well, their profit increased by $100 million year over year, they have a significantly higher standard than all other US carriers. Hence, they were disappointed with those results and are planning on taking steps to return to positive PRASM. I will be interested to hear what UAL/AA are planning on doing with UK traffic with Brexit. Overall, UAL is headed in the right direction and I look forward to listening to Oscar's quarterly results tomorrow. In comparison to $mi$ek, he really sounds like a guy who "gets it" and tries to improve the revenue side, which requires spending money, rather than listening to closed minded Wall Street analysts who insist cutting costs will guide UAL to consistency.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
"The move was under way before last week's surprise ouster of CEO Jeff Smisek while U.S. investigators probe United's ties to the former chairman of the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey."
I actually don't dispute that Smisek had initiated the out-and-back and Polaris plans. That's a part of what CEOs are supposed to do.

But another part of the CEO's job is to execute the plans that they put in place, and Smisek didn't execute in this case. He had planned to begin out-and-back in January; Munoz started it right away in October. I don't know what compelled Munoz to think that UA could begin out-and-back in October while Smisek thought UA could wait until January, but Munoz did it. His other choice was to stick with Smisek's schedule, which he didn't. Was Munoz merely benefitting from the work that was already done for him, or did he chart a new direction for UA with his decisive action? I've said many times pre-September 2015 that UA had a lack-of-vision problem, so I'm skeptical that Smisek could have led UA to the results that we're seeing now. But really, regardless of who should get the credit, I'm happy to see that UA is heading in the right direction.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I actually don't dispute that Smisek had initiated the out-and-back and Polaris plans. That's a part of what CEOs are supposed to do.

But another part of the CEO's job is to execute the plans that they put in place, and Smisek didn't execute in this case. He had planned to begin out-and-back in January; Munoz started it right away in October. I don't know what compelled Munoz to think that UA could begin out-and-back in October while Smisek thought UA could wait until January, but Munoz did it. His other choice was to stick with Smisek's schedule, which he didn't. Was Munoz merely benefitting from the work that was already done for him, or did he chart a new direction for UA with his decisive action? I've said many times pre-September 2015 that UA had a lack-of-vision problem, so I'm skeptical that Smisek could have led UA to the results that we're seeing now. But really, regardless of who should get the credit, I'm happy to see that UA is heading in the right direction.

To keep the facts straight. Oscar said "this winter" for the out and back, which was the on time improvement plan agreed to during the summer.

https://www.united.com/CMS/Documents...OscarMunoz.pdf

You can't walk in the door end of September and have the schedules changed wholesale for November with the flip of a switch. There's a lead time on things when you execute.

Oscar's impact to date is on tone, morale, and shorter lead time things. The coffee was a 'quick' win and that took 9 months.

His real assessment will come in 2017 and 2018.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:15 am

To keep the facts straight. Oscar said "this winter" for the out and back, which was the on time improvement plan agreed to during the summer.

https://www.united.com/CMS/Documents...OscarMunoz.pdf

You can't walk in the door end of September and have the schedules changed wholesale for November with the flip of a switch. There's a lead time on things when you execute.

Oscar's impact to date is on tone, morale, and shorter lead time things. The coffee was a 'quick' win and that took 9 months.

His real assessment will come in 2017 and 2018.
Agreed. To change scheduling to out-and-back requires retiming flights so that they align with the arrival of a plane from the same hub. Either that, or a significant increase in fleet spare requirements to allow for longer time on the ground at outstations to line up with the next departure. Neither of those happened in the few weeks between Oscar's arrival and the October implementation that people are supposedly crediting to him.

The mess that would result from changing everyone's schedules just a few weeks before departure would have cost far more than the delays associated with the old schedule, and you'd definitely have heard lots of griping on here as people's 10:00 flights became 11:00 flights, and their connection which was supposed to depart at 11:00 now departs at 10:00 and the connection is broken, and all that fun stuff.

I know it kills people to accept it, but Oscar didn't wave a magic wand the day he got here. Some improvements were actually started under Smisek, even if they didn't get to the point of implementation before he left.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
anyone have more color on what hunter mentioned? apparently there was some sort of internal memo issued to employees within the past 24 hours that a long-range analysis of routes/hubs will be undertaken.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I jumped on the call late and was in and out, but here are some notes I picked up on the Q&A:

- UAL has not been paying out on its corporate performance guarantee because it is meeting its reliability commitments
- Local share in hubs is rebounding to levels seen pre-integration
- SFO-TLV doing "exceptionally well", new Asia flights "meeting and exceeding expectations"
- Opportunity to start SFO-PVG #2 in October (at long last)
- 3Q outlook has deteriorated, can't forecast flat-to-positive PRASM, initiatives are "focused on profitability"
- Rolling out new revenue management software "Gemini" in 4Q, good results in testing thus far
- Corporate bookings flat, revenues forecast down 3%
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
- Rolling out new revenue management software "Gemini" in 4Q, good results in testing thus far
This sounds ominous on multiple fronts. Beware the UA IT "upgrade."
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
This sounds ominous on multiple fronts. Beware the UA IT "upgrade."
If nothing else, a convenient excuse to explain away less favorable PRASM performance!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton
anyone have more color on what hunter mentioned? apparently there was some sort of internal memo issued to employees within the past 24 hours that a long-range analysis of routes/hubs will be undertaken.
When they had an investor call in June they said they were planning a deep dive into the hub positions this year, which would in theory be ready for the next investor meeting late this year.

Maybe that's what the memo referred to.

Despite the 3Q revenue outlook, stock up vs peers today.

The local share in hubs comment sounds interesting.

Also I didn't listen but apparently still no senior management change announcements.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Smisek's team is responsible for a number of the recent positive developments - and it looks like there was a 'turnaround' campaign being seeded to the press.
Smisek's team was also responsible for the miserable three years following the merger, so giving them credit for fixing part of what they broke isn't something I'd be drawing attention to.

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
I know it kills people to accept it, but Oscar didn't wave a magic wand the day he got here. Some improvements were actually started under Smisek, even if they didn't get to the point of implementation before he left.
Again, most of his "improvements" were actually fixing something he broke.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Sounds good if you're an investor. A better system would be the most impactful item under their control to increase revenue. Airline revenue management is very difficult.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Smisek's team was also responsible for the miserable three years following the merger, so giving them credit for fixing part of what they broke isn't something I'd be drawing attention to.
Again, most of his "improvements" were actually fixing something he broke.
Way to look at it!

- SFO-TLV doing "exceptionally well", new Asia flights "meeting and exceeding expectations"

- 3Q outlook has deteriorated, can't forecast flat-to-positive PRASM, initiatives are "focused on profitability"
Glad to hear that SFO-TLV turned out to be a successful move!

Outlook for Q3 (and Q4) certainly not easier due to recent events in France, Turkey. Currently seeing moderate loads TATL Eastbound, but full flights TATL Westbound form parts of Europe, where school vacation began.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Fair enough. Though it doesn't change the fact that Smisek having a revelation 3 years after he broke something that he should fix it is still bad management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.