Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Design your perfect boarding system

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Sure, but if I'm delayed from a late connecting flight, I'm not happy to stand aside and let the rest of boarding group 5 proceed ahead of me...
Sure, no one is. But this thread isn't about making elites happy, is it? It's about an efficient boarding process. I'd have a lot more to post about UA making me happier.

Should groups 3 and 4 get to use the bypass lane too, or just elites? In those airports today where there aren't 5 separate chutes, there's no bypass lane for them. Or why not a disabled person who shows up late because their flight was delayed?

My opinion is no bypass lane.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by JBord
Sure, no one is. But this thread isn't about making elites happy, is it? It's about an efficient boarding process. I'd have a lot more to post about UA making me happier.

Should groups 3 and 4 get to use the bypass lane too, or just elites? In those airports today where there aren't 5 separate chutes, there's no bypass lane for them. Or why not a disabled person who shows up late because their flight was delayed?

Of the six flights I took over the weekend, three of them (one international and two domestic) commenced boarding of group one prior to the time stated on the boarding pass (note, pre-boarding had already taken place). Without a bypass lane, you are forcing everyone on group one and two to get to the gate before the time boarding is due to start, or risk ending up behind everyone else. Priorty boarding means getting on board without undue delay WHEN you arrive at the gate, not just IF you arrive at the gate first.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by seat38a
...at WN, disability boarding seemed to be VERY small compared to at United and no one miraculously got cured inflight as well....
Having spent some time perusing the WN forum, I would say that you're mistaken on this. There are well-known "miracle flights" on WN, especially involving origins/destinations in FL, as I recall.

I have not seen much abuse of the disabled preboarding at UA, but I fly mainly business routes/times.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Miggles
The science says that a random boarding process beats any structured process ever instituted by an airline. So, if the goal is a fast boarding process, then it should be a free-for-all.
But that takes away the notion that some people are better than others. That's a key fundamental with the boarding groups and the special little carpets and all: getting to look down your nose at the lice who must board behind you.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
The ideal, fastest boarding system is obviously to try and have the plane filled as accurately as possible from back to front. This could by done by showing the row number on a screen and have people board with that row number. If you miss your call you are at the end of the line.

Of course this is impossible due to the existence of J, F, elderly and children, who can of course board first. But after that, this system could still apply for Y.
It's not impossible due to the existence of J/F etc. It's just not commercially viable, in light of airlines' (including UA's) promotion of priority boarding as a perq of loyalty or something that may be purchased (through premium fares or access). The same is true of row-by-row boarding, which went by the wayside with the recognition that overhead space was scarce and early boarding was thus a valuable commodity that could be sold or provided selectively.

Indeed, UA could have a rolling bar cart in a roped off section near the gate that provides drinks to F pax while they wait for the cattle to get loaded, and an FA who jealously guards the F cabin bins, and then board F pax last.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Why couldn't United do this: keep the assigned seats and boarding order as it is today, with one enhancement. Everybody gets a unique number on their BP.
But everyone already gets a unique number printed on the boarding pass. It's called the sequence number. If I'm not mistaken, it represents the order in which one checked in (or was automatically checked in) for a particular flight.

As a habitual early checker-inner, I'd have no problem with boarding according to the sequence number.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JBord

This thread is about making the "perfect" boarding process (see: thread title). This, to you, may be about efficiency, to others it might be about making it an elite benefit.

To a majority, it is about maximizing both.

I agree with you that a bypass lane might slow down boarding some amount. I would argue that amount is negligible compared to the benefit it would bestow on elites. I really like the idea of a well marked and "progressive" bypass lane announcing already called groups. There are many reasons why one might be late to the boarding area (getting that last vodka soda in the club, being just one!) In my experience, when I have been later than Group 1, I have never held up the line since me bypassing the others just allowed me onto the jetway sooner where I stood and waited to actually board. Of course, other experiences may differ.

I am just of a different opinion than you. I am pro-bypass lane! I respect your right to a contrary opinion.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be honest, there is no one size fits all perfect boarding system. Too many different kinds of planes with too many different kinds of configurations. What works for a 737 may not work at all for a 777 or even a 757 boarding thru door 2L. When they enforce it and do the boarding per the policies they way UA does it is probably a decent compromise. Problem is they don't enforce the boarding groups, they don't enforce the carry on rules, they don't wait a little bit between the disabled group and the ones behind so it causes confusion and cluster. For the gates with only 2 lanes, if they had someone patrolling the lane and enforcing who should be in it at that time like Japan does, even those could work. But they don't so those are even more of a cluster.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
If UA would hold open / reserve 1 space in the overhead bin each for every FC and/or GS passenger I would happily board last and they can do whatever other order allows them to satisfy the priority of the month.
Completely agree - that is the ONLY reason to board early, especially if you are in first class.

When I have checked luggage I board last.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:48 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
*zone 1: business, gs 1k plat gold
*zone 2: premier access star gold
*zone 3: credit card holders
everything else the same only 3 is 4, 4 is 5, etc

only thing i don't like is that cc holders get zone 2, i may get down to gold next year and i dunno how being equiv to the chase cc holders makes me feel (who wants to listen more about my feelings)

doesn't aa have like 8 zones or something

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2016 at 5:04 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters; Unneeded snark deleted
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
As long at there is a large amount of carry-on baggage, the process will be slow.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Miggles
The science says that a random boarding process beats any structured process ever instituted by an airline. So, if the goal is a fast boarding process, then it should be a free-for-all.
What "science" says this?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Completely agree - that [carry-ons] is the ONLY reason to board early, especially if you are in first class.

When I have checked luggage I board last.
I wonder if there's anyone who feels different and wants to board early for a reason other than having space for their carry-on.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
I wonder if there's anyone who feels different and wants to board early for a reason other than having space for their carry-on.
possible reasons
1) Get a head start on their PDB
2) Get settled in a window seat without having to bother another passagner
3) Looking to ask for seat swap before the passagner has settled in
4) Don't like standing in the jetway
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Anarchy works

The quickest boarding process I ever experienced was on a secondary city mainland China domestic route. Zero etiquette, zero political correctness, zero regard for personal space. People literally pushing, shoving, and climbing over each other. Boarded a packed B737 in about 6 minutes.

While this was both highly amusing and highly offensive which is worse really: a Chinese fire drill, or people with low cognizant awareness of their surroundings and low sense of shared purpose in expediting the boarding process?

SunLover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.