Wiki Posts
Search

Did UA price my award ticket properly?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Did UA price my award ticket properly?

Hey,

for my honeymoon in Jan i had to change my return flight home (were flying home turkish airways and she doesn't want to fly them anymore...).

we are flying
NYC-DUB (layover)-ZRH (layover)- JNB
Return Trip home
CPT-JNB (layover)-GRU (layover)-IAD (layover)-NYC

originally I paid 80k a person each way 320k miles total in business

The JNB-GRU portion of the flight was available in Global First Saver for 75k miles. When they priced this out it forced them to treat it as different segments so it priced the whole thing an additional 35k miles per person so it was 110k miles per person on the return.

I had previously pieced together the NYC-DUB-ZRH-JNB leg and they didn't treat it as different tickets so i was a bit surprised by the re-pricing of it.

is it right? i gotta say i really don't know. if it's right i have no issue-- i just don't know and their award rules on complex itineraries honestly mystify me...

thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jp12687
The JNB-GRU portion of the flight was available in Global First Saver for 75k miles.
UA doesn't fly JNB-GRU so it can't be GlobalFirst.

SA is the only *A carrier that flies that route, and they do not have first class. So I'm kind of confused.

Have you booked GRU-IAD on UA in GlobalFirst? If so, that should be an additional 15,000 miles per ticket. (Assuming the routing via S. America is still valid - it was, then it wasn't, then it was . . . .)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA doesn't fly JNB-GRU so it can't be GlobalFirst.

SA is the only *A carrier that flies that route, and they do not have first class. So I'm kind of confused.

Have you booked GRU-IAD on UA in GlobalFirst? If so, that should be an additional 15,000 miles per ticket. (Assuming the routing via S. America is still valid - it was, then it wasn't, then it was . . . .)
Believe USA-Southern Africa via South America is not allowed and it would require two awards;Appears to once again be allowable
Southern Africa - Southern South America partner business 45K
Southern South America - USA UA GF 70K

That fits the numbers

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2016 at 2:29 pm Reason: USA to Africa via GRU appears to once again be allowable
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe USA-Southern Africa via South America is not allowed
It was legal, then illegal, then legal, don't know the current status.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It was legal, then illegal, then legal, don't know the current status.
yep -- the last I heard (2 years back) it was not but what it is now is anyone's guess

But the mileage and the 2-award explanation from the OP fits, but there is some confusion on cabins.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:32 pm

yep -- the last I heard (2 years back) it was not but what it is now is anyone's guess
There were a couple reports more recently that it was bookable again.

Agree the mileage fits two awards. I might call back and ask the rate desk to confirm whether the routing via South America is valid or not.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:06 pm

There were a couple reports more recently that it was bookable again. ....
Found some, a March 2015 successful booking in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24580187-post113.html and other in late 2014
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just checked. Award space routing is available JNB-GRU-EWR. UA leg on a 2-class 767-400ER.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Just checked. Award space routing is available JNB-GRU-EWR. UA leg on a 2-class 767-400ER.
so based on that being a valid booking-- should i have been able to book it as a solid reward instead of two?

how would it affect price having one segment business and one in GF? my understanding was the whole thing should have priced at the higher mileage fare but as a single ticket-- just as my EWR-DUB-ZRH-JNB section priced as one 80k ticket....
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:31 am

so based on that being a valid booking-- should i have been able to book it as a solid reward instead of two?

how would it affect price having one segment business and one in GF? my understanding was the whole thing should have priced at the higher mileage fare but as a single ticket-- just as my EWR-DUB-ZRH-JNB section priced as one 80k ticket....
Exactly which of your UA segments is in GF? What kind of plane is it? In what row are you seating?

Is your a roundtrip ticket, or are you combining two one-way awards?

When you say you have a "layover," do you mean a connecting same-day flight, or are you staying at a "layover" stop >24 hours?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Exactly which of your UA segments is in GF? What kind of plane is it? In what row are you seating?

Is your a roundtrip ticket, or are you combining two one-way awards?

When you say you have a "layover," do you mean a connecting same-day flight, or are you staying at a "layover" stop >24 hours?
EWR-DUB on Aer Lingus Business Saver
6 Hour Layover
DUB-Zurich on Swiss Airways Business Saver
8 hour layover
Zurich- JNB Swiss Airways Business Saver-- DESTINATION

Open Jaw
CPT-JNB on SA Business Saver
11 hour layover
JNB-GRU on SA Business Saver
7 hour layover
GRU-IAD on UA GF Saver
5 hour layover
IAD-EWR Economy Saver

with the JNB routing through GRU being valid-- and the fact it previous had priced as 80k miles each way business saver (original routing home was JNB-IST-FRA-LHR-EWR).

the GRU-IAD routing is 75k miles in saver

so my question is how should this price and at what mileage point? again it could very well be right. I see this as a round trip with an open jaw on the return leg....
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:06 pm

EWR-DUB on Aer Lingus Business Saver
6 Hour Layover
DUB-Zurich on Swiss Airways Business Saver
8 hour layover
Zurich- JNB Swiss Airways Business Saver-- DESTINATION

Open Jaw
CPT-JNB on SA Business Saver
11 hour layover
JNB-GRU on SA Business Saver
7 hour layover
GRU-IAD on UA GF Saver
5 hour layover
IAD-EWR Economy Saver

with the JNB routing through GRU being valid-- and the fact it previous had priced as 80k miles each way business saver (original routing home was JNB-IST-FRA-LHR-EWR).

the GRU-IAD routing is 75k miles in saver

so my question is how should this price and at what mileage point? again it could very well be right. I see this as a round trip with an open jaw on the return leg....
I picked a random date in October and got a JNB-IAD through GRU that priced a GF Saver seat on UA from GRU at 130k. Same date GRU-IAD GF was 70K.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
Believe USA-Southern Africa via South America is not allowed and it would require two awards;
Southern Africa - Southern South America partner business 45K
Southern South America - USA UA GF 70K

That fits the numbers
I just found flights on UA's website for a southern Africa award ticket Via south America.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airline101
I just found flights on UA's website for a southern Africa award ticket Via south America.
how many miles were they trying to charge?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:15 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
I did BOS-IAD-GRU-JNB-WDH all in business class (UA F/UA C/SA C/SA C) in December 2015 with 80000 miles, and it was booked online.

I think the issue for the original poster is that UA's computer nowadays has some funny (but against the customer) pricing algorithm for award tickets when the ticket involves different cabin of service. Instead of pricing it as a single ticket (with legal routing) following the highest cabin of service, it prices as two separate tickets and requires the mileage based on the two separate tickets.

I noticed this when pricing intra-China ticket. Now if you try to price PEK-SHA (O) and SHA-SZX (X) using multiple destination way, the system will ask 22500+15000=37500 miles instead of 22500 miles; however, if you try to price PEK-SHA(O) and SHA-SZX(O) or PEK-SHA(X) and SHA-SZX(X) using multiple destination way, the computer will price it right at 22500 miles or 15000 miles.

And if you search PEK-SZX as one-way, then the computer might give you PEK-SHA(O)+SHA-SZX(X) as "mixed cabin" but only charge you 22500 miles.

It is probably better to talk to the rate desk and explain the situation and hopefully some knowledgeable rate desk agents will be able to help fix this issue.

Good luck and safe travel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.