Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Intl F to domestic Y award tix. Possible cancellation on domestic segment - rights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl F to domestic Y award tix. Possible cancellation on domestic segment - rights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tried a search, but not effective at it on my phone.

Flew AMS-IAD in Global First on an 80k award ticket. Connection in IAD-EWR.

IAD-EWR is delayed & may be cancelled according to agent. Still waiting to hear. Weather issues in EWR.

Do I have any sort of rights to a room? Normally not due to weather, but wasn't sure if Global F ticket makes a difference even though connecting to Y?

No status anymore with UA (I remember as a 1K they always took care of us).

Mods - if you merge with another thread, can you please PM me with the link?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
...Flew AMS-IAD in Global First on an 80k award ticket. Connection in IAD-EWR.

IAD-EWR is delayed & may be cancelled according to agent. Still waiting to hear. Weather issues in EWR.

Do I have any sort of rights to a room? Normally not due to weather, but wasn't sure if Global F ticket makes a difference even though connecting to Y?

No status anymore with UA (I remember as a 1K they always took care of us)...
No "rights" to a room. If cause is weather and no status, probably not.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks - anyone have any idea if this would be covered by Sapphire if all taxes were paid on that card? Even though it was a mileage ticket? Sapphire customer service seemed unaware.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No coverage for hotel on award tickets according to UA rep. Was rebooked on Delta metal into LGA for tomorrow. As it was a weather delay no other accommodations such as meal or hotel vouchers. Most people on the flight were told that they would have read books at 8 PM tomorrow. And they can only be booked on the UA metal. I was able to get DL
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No coverage for hotel on award tickets according to UA rep. Was rebooked on Delta metal into LGA for tomorrow. As it was a weather delay no other accommodations such as meal or hotel vouchers. Most people on the flight were told that they would have read books at 8 PM tomorrow. And they can only be booked on the UA metal. I was able to get DL
Then you were treated relatively well, although note that DL doesn't have lots of service from IAD. The good news is that hotels near IAD are generally pretty cheap and decent. Good luck!
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks - anyone have any idea if this would be covered by Sapphire if all taxes were paid on that card? Even though it was a mileage ticket? Sapphire customer service seemed unaware.
Yes, if you have CSP, trip delay should cover a hotel for you. I've never needed it, though. One of the best benefits of CSP is you only need to pay a portion on the card for benefits to kick in - I believe many wouldn't. Note though, that terms say eligibility for trip delay requires a round-trip ticket - I'm not sure how strict they are on it, but that's what the temps specify.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes, if you have CSP, trip delay should cover a hotel for you. I've never needed it, though. One of the best benefits of CSP is you only need to pay a portion on the card for benefits to kick in - I believe many wouldn't. Note though, that terms say eligibility for trip delay requires a round-trip ticket - I'm not sure how strict they are on it, but that's what the temps specify.
+1 to this. Additional advice: CSP WILL cover this for the award ticket; though you must take extremely detailed accounts of what happened. I recommend asking the GA or other ground staff to print you out a flight cancellation note (forget what it is actually called) that calls out the WX reasoning. Retain ALL receipts for purchases; make note on the receipt in case it is unclear what the item is because a lot of places will short-hand whatever you are buying. A week later u might not remember. Take digital versions of all documents so you have a matching record before you send these in.

Oh also, make sure you have the agent notate the account that you confirmed these benefits. Literally cover all corners.. Trust- you will be much happier you did.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 28, 2016 at 10:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No "rights" to a room. If cause is weather and no status, probably not.
of course the OP has the right to a room. *A rules are very clear that for premium passengers flying intercontinental itineraries 'care' will be provided in controllable and uncontrollable circumstances.

Mail in any receipts and quote *A rules ... UA will pay.

AMENITIES – UNCONTROLLABLE*
In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to Premium Customers
(First, Business and Star Alliance Gold) travelling on an Intercontinental journey including connection
to/from domestic services.
Intercontinental refers to travel between Europe, Asia, North America, South America, Australia, New Zealand
and Africa. A connection is defined as one that does not exceed 24 hours.

Last edited by cfischer; Jun 29, 2016 at 2:01 am Reason: add *A rules
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
of course the OP has the right to a room. *A rules are very clear that for premium passengers flying intercontinental itineraries 'care' will be provided in controllable and uncontrollable circumstances.

Mail in any receipts and quote *A rules ... UA will pay.
Great - thank you! Assume this is on the *A website?

I just sent UA a letter to me confirming they wouldn't cover anything as I was going to try to claim with CC - but may try this route as well.

Also, apparently, this is technically an EU261 issue as well (though UA may not want to admit it).
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a quick follow-up - I didn't file a claim with CSP (mainly because it was a pain in the neck to do it) - but after 2 emails back & forth with UA, they did end up covering my rental car & hotel. They covered my rental car in the first email because I was rebooked from IAD to DCA. Only after the 2nd email while quoting the *A rules, did they agree to reimburse me for the hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the EC261 duty of care apply here? OP departed from Europe, presumably on a single ticket/PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.