Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United cancelled award ticket involuntarily

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster

I booked two economy award tickets on the 11th and subsequently upgraded on the 16th to business class for myself and my girlfriend. These seats have been confirmed with Aer Lingus and United and I have the confirmation receipts along with having being charged $120 each for fees and up to this point am still able to change seats. However I received and email saying my girlfriends ticket is no longer valid due to insufficient miles. This is frustrating because its a week after I've booked, a week before we depart, and given I have confirmation receipts and everything how can i be told I don't have enough miles? This seems like a mistake on United's part and our current tickets should be honored. Is there anything that can be done?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Did you have enough miles or not? More info required to provide comprehensive advice on how to proceed.

SL
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by kodyjs317
I booked two economy award tickets on the 11th and subsequently upgraded on the 16th to business class for myself and my girlfriend. These seats have been confirmed with Aer Lingus and United and I have the confirmation receipts along with having being charged $120 each for fees and up to this point am still able to change seats. However I received and email saying my girlfriends ticket is no longer valid due to insufficient miles. This is frustrating because its a week after I've booked, a week before we depart, and given I have confirmation receipts and everything how can i be told I don't have enough miles? This seems like a mistake on United's part and our current tickets should be honored. Is there anything that can be done?
If you can clarify a few things:

1) when you upgraded from y to c, essentially you redepositted the original miles and purchased a higher award, right?

2) you probably had a redepodit fee of $150 per ticket, right?

3) were the new tickets in business both ways or one way?

4) what exactly is on the confirmation receipts?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can think of several ways to end up with insufficient miles after purchase. Like signing up for an Explorer Card for the bonus miles and then returning items after meeting the spend requirement (or not holding the card for the required 6 months). Or returning items purchased on MileagePlus Shopping.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You have asked if there "is anything that can be done?" The answer is that there is absolutely nothing that can be done until you supply all of the details. It does not do you any good to supply less than all of the details as that only results in people here, who could help you, either not responding, or responding incorrectly.

That does not help you in the least because if you take the wrong "argument" back to UA, UA will not react and you will not have your tickets.

The bottom line is that if you did not pay for a ticket, it either will not be issued or it will be cancelled as part of the audit process. That is no different for cash or award tickets.

So:

1. How much did the original tickets cost?
2. How many more miles did you need to add to purchase the new C award tickets (it is actually an entirely new award)
3. Did you have that # of miles?
4. You say that the C/J seats were "confirmed." Do you have e-ticket #'s (as opposed to a PNR?
5. If you had the # of miles at the time of the purchase, have you done anything (or has a CC issuer by way of example done anything) to reduce or withdraw your miles balance which brings you below what you needed for the C/J tickets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.