Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Moved all of E+ to the back due to"weight balance"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, FB emeritus

I'm on board UA1572 bos-sfo. Just before boarding we were told that everyone in rows 6 thru 12 (all of E+) will have to move to the back of the plane. I am now in 15C - a no-recline aisle seat in a full row.

Can I ask for any compensation for this? Did this happen to anyone else?
Old May 3, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
This happens frequently when regional jets are half full, not as often on mainline flights but it does happen. If you paid for E+, you can ask for a refund. Otherwise, why would you expect compensation? You paid for Y, you sat in Y.

Tough luck, but run of the mill for those of us who fly RJs a lot.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
This happens frequently when regional jets are half full, not as often on mainline flights but it does happen. If you paid for E+, you can ask for a refund. Otherwise, why would you expect compensation? You paid for Y, you sat in Y.

Tough luck, but run of the mill for those of us who fly RJs a lot.
I forgot to mention this is a mainline 737-900.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by epsalon
You didn't need to, I assumed that and addressed it in my response.

The surprise here is not that there were w&b issues, but that a flight from BOS-SFO was only half full.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Seen this multiple times, however every other time on mainline they have told the passengers that they could return to their assigned seats after reaching cruising altitude. Sounds like that didn't happen here?
Old May 3, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musing
Seen this multiple times, however every other time on mainline they have told the passengers that they could return to their assigned seats after reaching cruising altitude. Sounds like that didn't happen here?
Nope. Still in the back.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nope. Still in the back.
Have you asked? I've moved back a few times but always been able to head to the original seat once in flight.

Also slightly interesting in that the 73E is usually back heavy, not front heavy.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:22 pm

I had this happen to me and I did ask if I could move back once airborne and was told by the FA no,you must stay where you are.

I requested a refund and was DENIED, with UA claiming that I was assigned an E+ seat and boarded with an E+ seat and they (whomever) were not notified of any sort of on-board seat reassignment occurring.

I initiated a charge back with AMEX and UA never responded to AMEX and I got my money back.

Hopefully, UA will do the right thing by you and not require you to take the route that I did.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That sounds wrong. I, too, have always been told (and have heard others told) that I could move back to my riginal seat after we reached cruising altitude.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:57 pm

Happened to me twice when I was up front (F or E+).

Once it was on Q400, FA asking people near the front (no F at the time) to move back. I stayed, but my seat mate moved, and the FA didn't say anything. Actually made for a comfy short flight.

Another time I was in F and the plane supposedly had a W&B issue. Before I boarded, they gave me a new BP to another plane in F (with different connection point), which I gladly took.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by sbm12

Also slightly interesting in that the 73E is usually back heavy, not front heavy.
Interesting pertinent observation about the 900, although perhaps surprisingly, I believe the tail strike frequency per flight hour is higher in the 800 than the 900 Boeings. Maybe the pilots are just more conscious of the extra 8 ft.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Interesting pertinent observation about the 900, although perhaps surprisingly, I believe the tail strike frequency per flight hour is higher in the 800 than the 900 Boeings. Maybe the pilots are just more conscious of the extra 8 ft.
I find it so hard to believe that passenger positions have any real bearing on balance. These planes weigh many many tons, they have all the baggage in the cargo - how can a few people moving a few yards back or forward here or there make any difference whatsoever? I'd be happy to be corrected on this and given the science, but it seems a little odd...
Old May 4, 2016, 8:24 am

It's happened to me, just call and ask for a refund, you will get it
Old May 4, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Given that this was a 737-900, my guess is that there was a mistake in loading the cargo holds -- and stuff that was supposed to be put in the back hold was put into the front hold. As a result, they had a choice: either wait while cargo was taken out of the front hold and put into the back one, or tell the PAX that they had to move back. Given that doing the first choice would cost UA time and money, you can guess which option they chose.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by alexperi
I find it so hard to believe that passenger positions have any real bearing on balance. These planes weigh many many tons, they have all the baggage in the cargo - how can a few people moving a few yards back or forward here or there make any difference whatsoever? I'd be happy to be corrected on this and given the science, but it seems a little odd...
Each time a flight you're on makes a successful takeoff, one of the reasons is that the airplane was loaded with correct attention to weight and balance. Each standard passenger counts as about 170 lbs. in the calculation. The weight affects the balance differently depending on its distance from the center of lift, which is somewhere around the wing. The weight of, say, twenty standard passengers thirty feet behind the wing could make the difference between a takeoff and a crash at the end of the runway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.