Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does UA ever price a flight via PS at the same rate as non-PS in C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

DL often fares, for example, LAX-JFK-XXX at the same rate in business as they would LAX-ATL-XXX.

United doesn't seem to do this with flights via EWR. Have others had better luck?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA affirmatively builds restrictions into its fare rules to prevent ps routings on the deepest discount t-con fares. That said, I have purchased some nicely priced P fares ($1100-1200) for SFO-BOS and SFO-RDU via EWR.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I've certainly seen ps come as an option when pricing discount international itineraries, and it's usually not more expensive.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Generally, no. Sometimes they make mistakes. The intent, though, is that any discount (domestic) premium fare to another city cannot be routed on a p.s. flight.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
SFO-EWR on the 757-200 were the options shown on TPE-RIC in P, in addition to the 777 flight. Same P fare vs SFO-ORD-RIC.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by findark
Generally, no. Sometimes they make mistakes. The intent, though, is that any discount (domestic) premium fare to another city cannot be routed on a p.s. flight.
This. And yes, it happens. For instance there was a widely discussed option from EWR to EUG as recently as late last year and one to YYZ fairly recently too. I think it was about $395 one way IIRC. About 3 years ago I got JFK-LAX-SMF for around $500 each way. Also got that route on AA F (not J) for roughly the same price 2 years ago.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Doesn't this type of talk belong in the trick-it thread? Or at least have the 3X coded?

Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: United Gold *G, Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Right at the end of the March I flew SFO-EWR-YYZ for only $416 one way on a P fare; I bought it in early February.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doggz
Right at the end of the March I flew SFO-EWR-YYZ for only $416 one way on a P fare; I bought it in early February.
That was definitely a mistake. UA has been slow adding the "no ps" restrictions on some city pairs. Despite having many months to implement the ps switch to EWR, they clearly had not thought through all the implications w.r.t. overall fare structure.

They've made similar mistakes when they add regularly scheduled widebodies on certain domestic routes (e.g., SFO-ORD).
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
That was definitely a mistake. UA has been slow adding the "no ps" restrictions on some city pairs. Despite having many months to implement the ps switch to EWR, they clearly had not thought through all the implications w.r.t. overall fare structure.

They've made similar mistakes when they add regularly scheduled widebodies on certain domestic routes (e.g., SFO-ORD).
What you mention is part of my concern with the new PS. The decision to move to EWR was the right one (accounting for the cost of an entire operation to serve two destinations), but PS is now a 'connecting' product. I don't work in the airline industry, but I have to imagine that the 'new UA' is is struggling with how to best optimize revenues given that people are now using PS as a traditional A-B-C method of travel.

The largest revenues in the network have to come from SF & LA (you'd think), but what the old route had -- it was a unique ability to segment the market. Obviously the costs didn't work (though I think that's more of B6 entry issue).

With EWR, UA doesn't have that ability. They try to accomplish the same goals with fare rules; but it isn't the same. It's a real estate play vs. the costs of reaping the benefits of a fare rule play.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:17 pm

Back in the day I purchased P transatlantic fares (EU)-EWR/ARNK/JFK-SFO which were cheaper than the cheapest business JFK-SFO tickets available. And they were priced the same vs (EU)-EWR-SFO on non-PS (maybe some additional JFK tax was tacked on but it was nothing substantial). The fare rules always allowed the "EWR/ARNK/JFK" part because the allowed routing for a EU-SFO fare was coded as "through NYC" and not "through EWR" (even .bomb had no problems understanding this, outsourced EU check-in agents however were often more challenged in grasping this concept).

Nowadays transatlantic P fares have gone up and PS flights, even far in the future, have much more "P0". But sometimes I can still find a P>0 PS flight and book (EU)-EWR-SFO for not much more than the cheapest business EWR-SFO. Since I often book early, most of the time I get rebooked due to schedule changes on a P0 PS flight with more attractive hours. Not sure if all transatlantic fares allow PS flights but the more expensive ones usually do.

Last edited by mozilla; Apr 24, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.