Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United does not need to compete in Newark?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United does not need to compete in Newark?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
I had no specific expectation coming into this call other than hoping to exchange my "A" class ticket for a similar seat on the other flight.
United doesn't sell A fares on ps routes. It's not a BusinessFirst fare. So you were attempting to change from a connecting itinerary to the ps nonstop. Not surprised to hear that required a substantial upfare.

Not to be pedantic, but SDC just waives the change fee. If your ticketed fare class is not available (and in this case it could not have been, since there is "A" on ps flights), you must pay the fare differential to the cheapest available fare. I'm guessing that in your case it was a C or a J, thus the very substantial price differential.

The agent may not have been particularly polite or understanding, but he was following the rules. I also suspect they get frustrated when pax insist they are entitled to something to which they are in fact not entitled.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by transportbiz
It'd be interesting to hear from the lawyers here. What would the take be on the DOJ finding this interesting, and a potential witness to predatory trade practice?
i'd suggest OP not worry about these kind of things and just start flying DL from LAX to JFK. DL allows free SDC to any available premium seat, regardless of the fare basis, provided that it is some type of paid J/F fare. Y fares that are upgraded with instruments also get to play in this fun.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by lazard
It's not predatory trade practice if there were no P fare seats available on the later flight that OP wanted.
The comment could very well be interrupted as a corporate practice exists for such behavior.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i'd suggest OP not worry about these kind of things and just start flying DL from LAX to JFK. DL allows free SDC to any available premium seat, regardless of the fare basis, provided that it is some type of paid J/F fare. Y fares that are upgraded with instruments also get to play in this fun.
DL does the same crap with fares in their mini-hub of CVG. Why do you think flying to/from CVG is so expensive...because it's under-served by other carriers and most of the CVG residents are DL captives. Same but to a lesser extent with ATL and MSP.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by Kacee
United doesn't sell A fares on ps routes. It's not a BusinessFirst fare. So you were attempting to change from a connecting itinerary to the ps nonstop. Not surprised to hear that required a substantial upfare.

Not to be pedantic, but SDC just waives the change fee. If your ticketed fare class is not available (and in this case it could not have been, since there is "A" on ps flights), you must pay the fare differential to the cheapest available fare. I'm guessing that in your case it was a C or a J, thus the very substantial price differential.

The agent may not have been particularly polite or understanding, but he was following the rules. I also suspect they get frustrated when pax insist they are entitled to something to which they are in fact not entitled.
It might have been a "P" fare then, I'm not sure. It was on a nonstop originally, so it was the right fare class for a SDC.

Does DL allow elite upgrades on its transcontinental service into JFK? If so, what type of experience has anyone had as far as likelihood of upgrades clearing? Also, are discounted J class reasonably priced?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2016 at 10:03 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Does DL allow elite upgrades on its transcontinental service into JFK? If so, what type of experience has anyone had as far as likelihood of upgrades clearing? Also, are discounted J class reasonably priced?
DL is reasonably similar to UA - no CPUs, and the fare chart is very similar as the market is being driven by B6 right now.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
DL is reasonably similar to UA - no CPUs, and the fare chart is very similar as the market is being driven by B6 right now.
I thought Delta had relaxed its restriction on upgrading its transcontinental flights -- at least for its highest level Medallion members. Does anyone know if this is true and if so, whether United may follow Delta's lead with the PS routes?

They are similar to the fares CO used to offer on SFO-EWR, which were a great deal when you could score the int'l 752 with lie-flats.

But while those fares are great, they disappear pretty quick. I think most business travelers have found that the change to EWR has had the effect of increasing the prices they pay.
The $1200 C-fares appear to be extremely difficult to find. Most of the fares quoted on the website are dramatically higher.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
$1800 difference sounds about right. I'm guessing yours was in the $900-$1200 range. If the market supports it how can you have problems with the price of a fare? This is how they stay solvent, bankers and actors buying $$$ fares. You can go standby for free.
I don't believe standby is an option on these flights. Are they subject to the same domestic same day change rules?

Does anyone have any intelligence on whether UA will relax the upgrade rules on the PS routes?

Not to be pedantic, but SDC just waives the change fee. If your ticketed fare class is not available (and in this case it could not have been, since there is "A" on ps flights), you must pay the fare differential to the cheapest available fare.

While I hear from some agents that rule strictly allows a change to the same fare class, others tell me it is not so. I have frequently made changes to nearly full flights -- for which I'm sure the same fare class was not available -- and have not been charged. Is there a concrete policy on this or not? Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2016 at 10:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
Airlines operate in a competitive environment, and for PS flights, UA has not really had trouble filling the premium cabin with lots of full F $2500 fares up to the last minute. This is why the OP was quoted a $1900 SDC from a bargain basement restricted P fare purchased far in advance to a fare available day of. This isn't about "short-changing" passengers, which means failing to give someone what they paid for. It is rather about selling a product for what the market (and a reasonably competitive one, as has been pointed out upthread) will bear.
Yes, but the other side of the coin is that if United allows the switch for free then the passenger gives back to United a $600 seat and United re-sells it for $2,500. So United is whole if they allow the switch without the upcharge and they provide some goodwill.

Of course, United gets to double dip if the passenger pays the upcharge and United resells the original seat at market price as well.

Yes, the official policy for SDC is for the same fare code but allowing exceptions for high level elites isn't a bad customer relations move since it costs United nothing.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nycityny
Yes, but the other side of the coin is that if United allows the switch for free then the passenger gives back to United a $600 seat and United re-sells it for $2,500. So United is whole if they allow the switch without the upcharge and they provide some goodwill.

Of course, United gets to double dip if the passenger pays the upcharge and United resells the original seat at market price as well.

Yes, the official policy for SDC is for the same fare code but allowing exceptions for high level elites isn't a bad customer relations move since it costs United nothing.
Good point about fairness. My real issue -- as a starting point -- is to have a clear and consistent policy. In several years of doing same day changes, it has never definitively been told to me that the same fare class must be available. In fact, I can't imagine that the same fare class is often available last minute -- if ever. UA owes us all some clarification on this rather than having to rely on an unpublished policy or exceptions.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by physioprof
There are a very limited number of very cheap $600 P fares on the PS route, and they sell out very far in advance. It is not at all surprising that for SDC, only the expensive $2500 D and J fares are left.
I agree 100%.

To turn this around: if the airlines (UA is not alone here) would not charge change fees, or increase fares as departure time gets closer, there simply wouldn't be ANY seats available; the flights would all be overbooked, and we'd then all complain that that a same-day later flight is not even possible.

Overall, I find the UA pricing and booking system to be quite fair and reasonable.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
In fact, I can't imagine that the same fare class is often available last minute -- if ever.
My understanding is that all fare classes open up completely a few (3?) hours before takeoff, to solve precisely this problem. In other words, if there's a seat available in your cabin within a couple hours of takeoff, at that point you can SDC into it.

Much harder at T-24, or even T-6 for that matter.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... In several years of doing same day changes, it has never definitively been told to me that the same fare class must be available. In fact, I can't imagine that the same fare class is often available last minute -- if ever. UA owes us all some clarification on this rather than having to rely on an unpublished policy or exceptions.
The same fare class is not required but if not available there will be a fare difference cost.

UA clearly states
When the original ticketed fare class is available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply.

When the original ticketed fare class is not available on the requested flight within 24 hours of departure, the same-day flight change fee (instead of the change fee stated in the fare rules) will apply, as well as any additional payments or refunds for the difference in fare.
This is fully covered in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...15-2016-a.html

For "free SDC" the same fare class does need to be available.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
I agree 100%.

To turn this around: if the airlines (UA is not alone here) would not charge change fees, or increase fares as departure time gets closer, there simply wouldn't be ANY seats available; the flights would all be overbooked, and we'd then all complain that that a same-day later flight is not even possible.

Overall, I find the UA pricing and booking system to be quite fair and reasonable.
I respectfully disagree.

I'm not saying that there should be no change fees or higher fares closer to flight time. But if they're going to have an SDC policy that is meant to be a perk then it should not instead be punitive. It is more than useless if they waive a $200 change fee and charge a $1,900 upcharge instead - it is insulting and does nothing to generate goodwill.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
My understanding is that all fare classes open up completely a few (3?) hours before takeoff, to solve precisely this problem. In other words, if there's a seat available in your cabin within a couple hours of takeoff, at that point you can SDC into it.

Much harder at T-24, or even T-6 for that matter.
This is very useful information. Do you know if this is an actual policy that can be relied upon or is more just your experience in real time when trying to do same day changes? Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:49 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

This is very useful information. Do you know if this is an actual policy that can be relied upon or is more just your experience in real time when trying to do same day changes? Thanks.
Many different GS agents have told me that this is the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.