Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

is there a name for this behaviour? Moved to less desirable flight 2 mos out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is there a name for this behaviour? Moved to less desirable flight 2 mos out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Question is there a name for this behaviour? Moved to less desirable flight 2 mos out

Booked first class ticket (8 months before flight) and had seats assigned (we were one of the first ones) on direct United flight (the only one daily from Edmonton to Houston).
Husband randomly checked reservation (still 2 months away) and we have been moved to a much earlier, non-direct flight. The original flight still exists (never changed) and first class is now full! Someone has ?bumped ?manouevred us off this flight onto another inferior and inconvenient flight. No notice from United. Phoned agent - "can't explain it". Told to contact customer services.
Has anyone else had this happen??? What is it called? And can anything be done about it?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
is there a name for this behaviour?

Call and ask that you be placed back on the nonstop you had booked and paid for. If the agent cannot make it happen, ask for a refund since the schedule change is unacceptable.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you have status, call the dedicated line and complain/try to get your original flight back. Keep doing this. As paid first class, they shouldn't do this to you. They shouldn't do it to anyone.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My guess is that they changed the aircraft to one with less F seats (eg, A320 with 12 to A319 with 8) which means that someone had to be moved.

Still no excuse for not notifying you, but that's something UA isn't exactly well know for being good at...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by alphagirl
Booked first class ticket (8 months before flight) and had seats assigned (we were one of the first ones) on direct United flight (the only one daily from Edmonton to Houston).
Husband randomly checked reservation (still 2 months away) and we have been moved to a much earlier, non-direct flight. The original flight still exists (never changed) and first class is now full! Someone has ?bumped ?manouevred us off this flight onto another inferior and inconvenient flight. No notice from United. Phoned agent - "can't explain it". Told to contact customer services.
Has anyone else had this happen??? What is it called? And can anything be done about it?
It is called "bumping" you. United is trying to avoid an IDB (involuntary denied boarding) by moving you ahead of time, and then they sold the seat to someone else....

I would call United, tell them that they have changed what you paid for and in essence bumped you, and they either give you back your seats on this flight or you are filing a complaint with the Aviation Consumer Protection United of the US department of transportation.

They should give you back your seats, and if not, file a complaint, and let DOT have them explain themselves. Link is here: https://www.transportation.gov/airco...umer-complaint
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there a Canadian government agency that would have regulatory powers too? Those rules might be more generous than the remedies required by the USA DOT.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:31 am

Any chance this is a flight that might be canceled or downsized to less than daily service? This sounds suspiciously like a flight that will soon be canceled and disappear, but it takes a few days to work through the system.

If I look into the fall, it looks like this (YEG-IAH) goes to 5x/week vs daily now. Given the oil-nature of a route like this, it wouldn't be too difficult to see this dropping to less than daily sooner; maybe you're just on the wrong day.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
To answer the question posed as the thread topic, I believe it can be called bait and switch.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:05 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Crazy they would move you to an earlier flight without communication with you.

It looks like UA alternates between Airbus 320 and 737 -800 on different days for that NS.
What aircraft were you booked on ? It really should not matter, as they switched your flights without your authorization.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Poster

bumping at the gate i understand but this seems rather an extreme form! thanks for the suggestion of where to file complaint.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:20 am

Smile Happened to us too.

This is just the case that we went thru with United. I calledand they tried to find us another flight that would work for us. We could not agree on other flights. I got them to refund all my points and $$$ that I spent on upgraded seats, then re-booked on Delta.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's good but it isn't a complete solution in that fares on DL have probably gone up since you first booked your flight. Plus, if you had wanted to fly DL, you would have purchased a ticket on DL from the beginning.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yeah, pretty crappy behavior on United's part.

This wasn't just moving them to an earlier flight. They moved them to an early flight and changed their direct flight to an itinerary with a connection.

Typically, the direct flights are more expensive. Bait and Switch is the correct term for this crap. DOT complaint should be made.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Recently booked this weekend for ORD-DFW-IAH. F/F
UA, without email noticed moved me to ORD-IAH in F.
ORD-DFW and DFW-IAH flights still present and Y9.

Loss of a few hundred PQMs, but the ORD-IAH flight is a 763 with intl J config.
More time in ORD and IAH for lounge hopping.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:24 am

So are you happy about the change or not?

I still think UA should have asked before changing your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.