Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw (OJ)?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted.

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: It has become extremely difficult to book an open-jaw at the stopover. Best not to count on getting one.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: No.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a "free one-way" I can get on a UA award?
A: The term "free one-way" is a misnomer and often confuses people (and may annoy the regulars here!). The technical definition of this concept is "stopover at origin." There have been mixed reports recently about UA's willingness to ticket a stopover at origin.

Important Notes - PLEASE READ:

1. Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it. This is probably the number one error made in attempting to construct a complex itinerary. If you have more than two stops >24 hours on a roundtrip award, it is not legal and will not ticket.

2. An open jaw always creates a stopover, even if you're stopping for less than 24 hours.

3. Many awards are subject to segment or "transfer" limitations. For example, the North America to South Asia award is currently restricted to four transfers in each direction.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2015]
Print Wikipost

Questions on Open Jaw/Stopover and Award Routings for United UA/*A Partners [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Sorry- yes on NBO (Nairobi). KIG (Kigali) remains the same
IATA code for Kigali is KGL

Correct- it's slightly obscure. However I still think it's a legal/valid routing. It's not clear to me what the showstopper is.
my money is still on the stopover/OJ combo and getting someone to call the rate desk (assuming the airport codes were not the cause).
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Thanks WineCountryUA!

I'll try again and see if the agent can call the rate desk to complete the reservation.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:21 am
ATD

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you cancel, your seats might go back to award inventory, or they might not.

That's an open question. The computer won't price the OJ between BNE and MEL if it considers AKL your destination.

You might or might not get a phone agent to book it. That would require supervisor/rate desk approval.
In the end I cancelled my original booking and made a new one:
ORD-LAX-MEL
AKL-SFO-YUL

this worked fine. In fact I used another computer and internet connection suddenly so many seats opened up which weren't showing earlier. Don't know if that was coincidence or not.

FYI.

--ATD
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Hi all -- I've spent 6 hours on the phone with 5 United agents (MP and web support), all of whom have been unable to price the following itinerary for me without breaking into multiple trips. As far as I know, the below routing is valid.

My understanding is that it contains one stopover and two open jaws and a number of "long" layovers, and is just between two zones.

IAD-LIS-ZRH-ATH (stopover) //
JMK-ATH-GVA-NCE (destination) //
CDG-EWR-DCA

IAD-LIS-ZRH-ATH gives me a 23.5hr layover in LIS and a 24 hour layover (exactly) in ZRH, and prices fine online.

The middle segment seems to be the one causing the errors, including confusion about the ATH // JMK open jaw, when I fly JMK-NCE via ATH and GVA. I want to keep the GVA 18-hr layover because I want to see GVA, and because JMK-NCE requires two stops anyways (at least in the month I'm traveling).

The only things I can think of is that both the ATH // JMK and NCE // CDG open jaws are looking like 2 stopovers (both at open jaws), but online it still doesn't price when I cut out JMK entirely (leaving just a stopover in ATH and an open jaw at the destination NCE // CDG).

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Finally got this booked by first replacing the CDG-EWR leg with an NCE-MUC-EWR flight (bookable online), then calling to swap those for the CDG-EWR flight. Took 6 phone agents to make that happen.

Last edited by Gutenstein; Apr 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:23 pm

Hawaii as origin open jaw

A few years ago I did a RT DEN_PAR_DEN_HNL with the DEN-HNL a stopover.

I can't get the UA search engine to price this as a US-EU RT (the open jaw DEN_HNL at origin)

Has UA recently changed stopover in US rules?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:07 am

Hey everyone,

Wanted to run this itinerary by you and get confirmation if it's a valid routing?

June 1st. Fly SFO-IAH-IST-NBO

June 10: Fly KGL-ADD-SEZ

June 25: Fly SEZ-ADD-LAX-SFO

From what I've read, this should be a valid open jaw routing, however the United agent won't ticket it. I asked them to articulate, however they said the reservation won't ticket because I connect in ADD twice (on the 10th and 25th).

Is there something I'm missing here, or anything I can change to make it a valid routing?

Multiple times through ADD doesn't appear to be a problem, I just got a confirmed award going through ADD 3 times this June/July:

PDX-DEN-IAD-ADD-CPT
(open jaw)
JNB-ADD-SEZ
(stopover)
SEZ-ADD-YYZ-ORD-PDX

That all priced as a single round trip ticket. The agent kept saying "this isn't going to work" over and over, but she stuck with me and it priced on the first try, woot.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
A few years ago I did a RT DEN_PAR_DEN_HNL with the DEN-HNL a stopover.

I can't get the UA search engine to price this as a US-EU RT (the open jaw DEN_HNL at origin)

Has UA recently changed stopover in US rules?

I'm wondering the same thing. I haven't done stopovers much but last year I was able to do LAX-ICN / ICN-NRT / NRT-LAX on a RT award ticket but that same itinerary today is charging me for the ICN-NRT flight. Am I missing something?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xLyrical
I haven't done stopovers much but last year I was able to do LAX-ICN / ICN-NRT / NRT-LAX on a RT award ticket but that same itinerary today is charging me for the ICN-NRT flight. Am I missing something?
That's an error. I'd try a few times online, and if that doesn't work, call it in. It's fully legit.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's an error. I'd try a few times online, and if that doesn't work, call it in. It's fully legit.
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, still having the issue. I'll let some more time pass by and try it again and if not, then I'll have to call it in. I'm using the united multi-city booking method (the way I've done it previously); that's still the correct way to do this, right? I've also noticed the surcharge has increased significantly...bummer.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xLyrical
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, still having the issue. I'll let some more time pass by and try it again and if not, then I'll have to call it in. I'm using the united multi-city booking method (the way I've done it previously); that's still the correct way to do this, right? I've also noticed the surcharge has increased significantly...bummer.
Are you going all the way through to the last page where the website prices the full itinerary? The mileage amounts shown on the intermediate flight selection pages are not correct. Nor are the amounts for taxes and fees. You have to click all the way through to the "Total" page to get the true price.

I just did a test booking of that itinerary and it priced correctly (150k miles + $69.86 for a *A business class RT North America to Japan).
Old May 1, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Has anybody used the "free one way" award trick with united recently?

I tried tonight twice but they were adamant that it wasn't possible but they also didn't seem to have ever heard about it so I am not convinced that it isn't possible.

http://www.milevalue.com/current-state-of-free-oneways/

May 12: MTJ-GIG
May 15: GIG-MTJ

I got it for a First Class Saver rate with the domestic returns being in economy.

I am trying to add a MTJ-CLT for June 3rd and 2 agents have told me that the concept isn't feasible. If it can't be done I am happy but if it can be I would like my "free" one way.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 1, 2016 at 7:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 1, 2016, 7:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by repcool
Has anybody used the "free one way" award trick with united recently? ....
Many reports of people having trouble / being denied in this thread. Still occasionally will work -- no clear pattern on when it works or when it does not but pretty clear UA is shutting this down (as have other programs).
Old May 1, 2016, 9:44 pm

I tried tonight twice but they were adamant that it wasn't possible but they also didn't seem to have ever heard about it so I am not convinced that it isn't possible.
Did you actually describe it to the agents as "a free one-way"?

A curse on whoever coined that term.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt

http://www.milevalue.com/current-state-of-free-oneways/

May 12: MTJ-GIG
May 15: GIG-MTJ

I got it for a First Class Saver rate with the domestic returns being in economy.

I am trying to add a MTJ-CLT for June 3rd and 2 agents have told me that the concept isn't feasible. If it can't be done I am happy but if it can be I would like my "free" one way.
At this point, I believe the airline's negative response is in the tribal knowledge phase, presumably from Mileageplus managers responding most unfavorably to situations like "I was on the phone for six hours trying to book this" and "I spoke to 15 UA employees insistent that this was a valid itinerary (HUCA run totally amok)." Unfortunately for UA mileage redeemers, a table in the referenced website shows the ultimate institutional response to "free" one way abuse..the cudgel of complete elimination of stopovers.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Both times I was told that the stopover couldn't include my originating airport.

I almost got it done by flying to another airport close to home but by that time I was over it all and will just use more miles on a seperate reservation.

The interesting part was that the second agent referenced the fact that I had already talked to somebody about this on a prior call. Busted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.