Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2016]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
We know someone who took this flight on Saturday. 2 hr mx issue because of trouble with the fuel computer ("we need to go back to the gate to reset the computer, it is incorrectly reporting telemetry that causes a low-fuel alarm, this doesn't normally happen because we don't normally fly the 747 with so little fuel on such a short route"). Forced an overnight at SFO, lost a day of vacation. UA offered $200, which did not cover vacation expenses.

I gotta say that if you bought the BHTP insurance or if you bought a ticket on this flight with a <4 hr connection using an Explorer card or Citi Prestige card or similar card with the very generous delay protection, you made a smart, smart choice. The domestic 747 experience is wonderful but it's especially wonderful if you have insurance that lets you benefit from irrops. It's only in the schedule for March (this ORD-SFO goes to a 777 after March), so book now!.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
The good news it was a 747 from ORD to SFO and I grabbed a 1st class seat (1k) for $100

The bad news they loaded fuel into the wrong tank and we haven't moved off the hate yet. Was supposed to take off over an hour ago.

So much for operations getting better.

Did you at least get a UD seat?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mherdeg
We know someone who took this flight on Saturday. 2 hr mx issue because of trouble with the fuel computer ("we need to go back to the gate to reset the computer, it is incorrectly reporting telemetry that causes a low-fuel alarm, this doesn't normally happen because we don't normally fly the 747 with so little fuel on such a short route"). Forced an overnight at SFO, lost a day of vacation. UA offered $200, which did not cover vacation expenses.
I was on the flight also. I thought the announcement was odd as did the FTer I was texting. I felt sorry for people in the back. At least in C we were in comfy seats and could watch the AVOD. FAs hid in the galley and served drinks only once. I watched Bridge of Spies. The announcements were reasonably frequent, but would usually differ from the UA text update for delays and new departure time. The first was the funniest. It came after we had boarded and pulled away from the gate:
Your 405pm United flight to San Francisco is delayed due to awaiting aircraft. UA1213 now departs Chicago 430pm and arrives 653pm
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I was on the flight also. I thought the announcement was odd as did the FTer I was texting. I felt sorry for people in the back. At least in C we were in comfy seats and could watch the AVOD. FAs hid in the galley and served drinks only once. I watched Bridge of Spies. The announcements were reasonably frequent, but would usually differ from the UA text update for delays and new departure time. The first was the funniest. It came after we had boarded and pulled away from the gate:
Your 405pm United flight to San Francisco is delayed due to awaiting aircraft. UA1213 now departs Chicago 430pm and arrives 653pm
Well, I will be on UA1213 next Wednesday sitting in 1A. Hopefully no issues, as I would really enjoy flying in F on a 747 again (it has been 2 years since I last flew in this seat). It appears this flight has a pretty iffy track record for being on-time. 3 hour layover in SFO, so hopefully no issues with connecting.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Well, I will be on UA1213 next Wednesday sitting in 1A. Hopefully no issues, as I would really enjoy flying in F on a 747 again (it has been 2 years since I last flew in this seat). It appears this flight has a pretty iffy track record for being on-time. 3 hour layover in SFO, so hopefully no issues with connecting.
Took a peek at Flightaware this morning, and UA1213 is 90 minutes late on average over the last 7 days. Not a great track record. This flight also has an 80 minute turnaround since the inbound typically comes from SFO... this is too little time to turn around a jumbo on a domestic turn. I have a 2 hour lay in SFO... hopefully I will be ok.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Ua 2010 bos-lax 3/25

Was/ is anyone else on this? Scheduled 6am departure. It was rough getting up for the flight.

We left gate twice and returned twice for mechanical issues. Pilot told us plane would probabably not go. Explained it was a pressurization problem, and that plane would need to fly at 25K feet - using too much fuel b

UA rebooked me via SFO. I'm en-route now, but am checking original. Flight departure keeps getting pushed back. Now showing that flight will stop in ORD. Is it possible that plane could not be fixed and they are requiring fuel stop?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:11 am

Anyone know why UA 5879 today would be delayed by an hour due to airport conditions when no other flights seem to be impacted? Usually UAX flights are the first ones to get the axe at SFO when weather is bad, but it isn't bad right now and so far 5879 is the only flight I could find that is being delayed.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
They will be stopping in ORD for crew availability issues. The crew will time out somewhere between ORD and LAX so they have to change them out.

The plane looks to be the same one they tried to use this morning 3x but will finally be leaving in about 5 minutes (if it doesn't go mechanical again).

-RM
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
frame in question is B738, ship 3215/N26215. it flew SFO-BOS yesterday afternoon (seemingly without issue) and RON'd at BOS.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:03 pm

Just an update to my previous post about UA 5879. Apparently they had no gate space for our plane at our scheduled departure time. Pilot mentioned Easter traffic and also the mess at Denver as the reasons. Surprised that it only seemed to affect our flight especially since our plane was sitting st SFO all night.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:35 pm

Some friends of mine are on this flight today (UA 2010, BOS-LAX).

Plan was a quick stop at ORD for fuel + new crew... but then, after an hour on the ground at ORD, there was something about "a dent in the tail and they have to do paperwork on it."

Will find out more eventually...

Edit: friends are no longer on board. They de-planed at ORD after an hour+.

Last edited by Far From Home; Mar 25, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by zrs70
Was/ is anyone else on this? Scheduled 6am departure. It was rough getting up for the flight.

We left gate twice and returned twice for mechanical issues. Pilot told us plane would probabably not go. Explained it was a pressurization problem, and that plane would need to fly at 25K feet - using too much fuel b

UA rebooked me via SFO. I'm en-route now, but am checking original. Flight departure keeps getting pushed back. Now showing that flight will stop in ORD. Is it possible that plane could not be fixed and they are requiring fuel stop?
Originally Posted by Far From Home
Some friends of mine are on this flight today (UA 2010, BOS-LAX).

Plan was a quick stop at ORD for fuel + new crew... but then, after an hour on the ground at ORD, there was something about "a dent in the tail and they have to do paperwork on it."

Will find out more eventually...

Edit: friends are no longer on board. They de-planed at ORD after an hour+.
whatever ended up happening to this flight? looks like it arrived at 5:10pm PDT, did they swap frames at ORD?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:07 am

EWR-AUS on an E175 cancelled this morning because the crew would have timed out simply making the EWR-AUS round trip (slightly longer today due to winds) and couldn't find a replacement crew. Great crew planning.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by nova08
EWR-AUS on an E175 cancelled this morning because the crew would have timed out simply making the EWR-AUS round trip (slightly longer today due to winds) and couldn't find a replacement crew. Great crew planning.
ouch. they were probably on short rest due to a late arrival last night or something, this could really be the only logical explanation i'd think.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
01Apr UA 532 ORD-BOS

UA 532 01Apr ORD-BOS had five rolling delays; in the end, departure was just shy of two hours late. The first (short) delay was blamed on crew rest issues in YYZ from the inbound aircraft. But when we boarded 532, the captain told us that the plane was "held" by Canadian customs, due to an issue with a non-compliant flight plan number. Indeed, the inbound was 2073, indicating a make-up flight.

I had a similar thing happen once enroute to PEK, when a 2xxx flight number was subbed for an 8xx flight number due to a diversion and reschedule. The Chinese ATC system would not accept a flight number that hadn't been "pre-approved." But Canada?

At any rate, the ORD GAs did a great job of turning around the 739, and the FAs were very efficient in getting people settled quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.