Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens on inbound(return) flight if I lose my premier status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold

I am presently a UA Platinum, but for 2016, I'll be dropping down to Silver (which also means my Star Alliance Gold status will go to Star Alliance Silver in 2016 as well.)

As my 2015 Platinum status should be retained until January 31, 2016, I was planning on flying sometime in January 2016 from the USA to China, where I am pretty sure my Platinum status will let me get the 3 X 70 lbs/32 KG luggage allowance, Economy Plus seating on UA metal, and as well as lounge access (order of importance to me).

As my inbound (return) flight will be in February, I'll be a UA Silver as well as a *A Silver. Will I get any of my UA Platinum/*A Gold benefits on this outbound flight(s)?

Generally the best deals for me (in order of preference) are *A flights on UA, AC, NH, and CA. Does it matter which *A I am on? Should I stick to UA? As a generous luggage is the most important perk for me, which airlines is best to book in order to have a generous luggage allowance for my inbound (return) flight. Second best benefit I guess is getting a good seat. Aisle seat is a bit more important to me than the extra leg room of E+ or whatever the other *A call it. Lounge is nice, but not that big a deal to me.

Thank you in advance for any info and advice. FWIW, in 2016, I expect to fly enough to earn UA Gold/*A Gold. Perhaps UA Plat. I buy cheap tickets, so I get around the PQD by using my Chinese address with United (which is legit for me, as I have a residence visa and work permit in China, and just got my Chinese drivers license - but that is another story).

Sorry if this was asked before.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dhelman
... As my inbound (return) flight will be in February, I'll be a UA Silver as well as a *A Silver. Will I get any of my UA Platinum/*A Gold benefits on this outbound flight(s)? ....
Highly unlikely -- status at time of travel is what matters.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Kinda figured that, but was hoping on UA metal or one of the *A partners it might make a difference. Thanks for letting me know.

Fortunately, the luggage allowance is most useful on the outbound flight, so I'll just choose my best flight for that purpose. Of course, I'll be keen to book flights that max out PQM on cheap tickets until I am at least UA/*A Gold in 2016, which I guess means mostly UA metal.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:32 pm

You will be flogged and berated.

In all seriousness, unfortunately, you will have whatever benefits of your current status.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'm pretty certain that E+ seating (assuming pre-assigned RT at booking) would still hold for the pax return if there isn't a schedule change/voluntary change of return flight.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Response goes as stated above. However, if you're really worried about those extra pounds, try and pack everything that can't go as carry-ons as checked luggage until you get to the 2x50lbs (I believe that for international travel you ALWAYS get 2x50lbs, at least that's how it works for LIM and we've even got baggage embargo). Then, you can try and pack some dirty clothes or books or whatever that can go as carry-on in a big but size-allowed carry-on, and then some more on a 'personal item' (where you can carry your laptop or tablet as well if you have one).

EDIT: As NoLaGent mentioned, you will not get bumped out of your E+ seating unless there is either a voluntary or involuntary schedule, route or aircraft change. Yes, aircraft change with the same schedule may bump you out of your seat as well.

Last edited by joseeantonior; Nov 24, 2015 at 10:38 pm Reason: Added some stuff re: E+
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
...(I believe that for international travel you ALWAYS get 2x50lbs, at least that's how it works for LIM and we've even got baggage embargo)....
2x50 is not standard worldwide.
USA-China is 1x50 on UA. Beleive there are some 2x50 carriers
USA-Europe is fairly universally 1x50
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Though there are anecdotes that China to USA is 2 x 50 even on UA.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
South America (or at least Lima)-USA and viceversa is 2x50 for free as well.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'm pretty certain that E+ seating (assuming pre-assigned RT at booking) would still hold for the pax return if there isn't a schedule change/voluntary change of return flight.
Yes - this has been generally what folks have consistently found. While other benefits of status depend on status at time of flight, E+ seating, selected beforehand, should "stick". Given flights to/from PEK generally stay with same equipment, it's unlikely that you'd lose your E+ seat from some advanced operational change. and once you're within 24 hours you'd be entitled to E+ seat.

BTW, you might look into a status challenge if you plan to fly a lot early in the year - United may let you try to re-earn status by flying a bunch quickly, so you don't have to wait until mid-year to get back to Gold. With a bunch of PQM in Jan/Feb., this might be enticing.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Seeing this thread a little late but last year my boss dropped from silver to no status mid trip and an agent took pity on him and waived the bag fee at check-in because she could see from the PNR that he had silver at the start of the trip. That was domestic though and all online UA so I wouldn't necessarily expect that from other carriers.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by dhelman
As my inbound (return) flight will be in February, I'll be a UA Silver as well as a *A Silver. Will I get any of my UA Platinum/*A Gold benefits on this outbound flight(s)?
No, you will not get Platimum/*A Gold benefits in February on UA. As others mentioned, E+ seat might stick; however certainly not the extra checked bag allowance, i.e., you'd get only 1x50lb on UA if you book the ticket as a round trip originating from USA. However, if you book as two one-ways on UA, i.e., China-USA has its own ticket number, then you can get 2x50lb for a ticket originating from China (even for non-elites).
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Last week, I made a forelock on a January outbound with a February inbound from LGA to PEK. Change ORD for the outbound and change SFO and ORD for the inbound.

While I'd be Plat for the outbound, and indeed got the luggage allowance and E+, on the inbound (in February, when I'll be a mere Silver), I did not get the E+ on the ORD to LGA (but did on the other two segments).

I let that expiry, and when I made a new farelock that had only a single connection at ORD, I got E+ all the way. So it seems, for the most part, you will be able to retain the diginty of E+ on your inbound flight if you have the status at the time of your outbound flight. For a long haul to China, that ain't bad. I tend to bring lots of gifts etc from the USA to China, so not a big deal not not 3X 70 LBS/32 KG on the inbound.

For my next trip, until I am at least *G, I think I'll book AC, where even cheap tickets earn PQM the same as UA, and get AC 2X 50 LBS/22 KG luggage. I'll just have to book early to get an aisle to make up for the lack of an E+ like seat.

PS - I avoid EWR flights as I live on the other side of NYC, and its actually faster for me to change planes in ORD and use LGA instead than the extra time to deal with ground transport to EWR. I also get a few more PQM to boot, to help me get to a decent status again that much faster.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For checked bags, is there a DOT rule that you get the same baggage allowance throughout your trip, assuming that everything is on the same ticket/PNR?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For checked bags, is there a DOT rule that you get the same baggage allowance throughout your trip, assuming that everything is on the same ticket/PNR?
I think you're referring to

Originally Posted by http://www.atpco.net/atpco/download/Five_baggage_facts.pdf
Airlines must apply the baggage rules of the first airline selected as the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) throughout a passenger’s entire journey and the amount that passengers pay for checked bags and other items, such as a pet in hold, must not vary during their trip
But I think the rub/loophole is how United applies it. When United is the MSC, the baggage fees are disclosed and apply to all travelers (e.g. $25 first/$35 second or whatever it is for Domestic Economy.) Rather than disclosing a $0 fee, United is choosing to waive the disclosed fees if you have status, if you no longer have status the waiver no longer applies and you're on the hook for the disclosed fees... In fact I think every confirmation I've received has included

Baggage check-in must occur with United or United Express, and you must have valid MileagePlus Premier® 1K® membership at time of check-in to qualify for waiver of service charges for up to three checked bags (within specified size and weight limits).
(emphasis mine)

Yes, it's largely semantic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.