Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar had heart transplant, plans to return in spring [Update 15 Jan 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Oscar had heart transplant, plans to return in spring [Update 15 Jan 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Wow indeed. Best wishes to him and his Family but for the BOD not to have been considering other options is inconceivable.

I really hope he makes it back, but it's far from certain this will happen in my view.
Out of curiosity, what has been stated or done that leads to this conclusion? Is there some first or even second hand knowledge to support this supposition?
We average Joes...have no IDEA what the BoD has or has not considered. The instant-demand-give-me-all-you-got-in-a-press-release world has created a false sense of outsiders knowing what is going on "behind the mahogany doors." And simply..... we don't.

Best wishes to Oscar for a solid recovery, regardless of whatever career choice he makes.

Last edited by xzh445; Jan 6, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:50 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Praying for Oscar and his family as he recovers.

Who will be minding the store at UA in the interim? Will they be able to move forward without Oscar Munoz heavily involved? Transplants require up to two weeks in the hospital and 3 months monitoring by the transplant team.

Last edited by mkr; Jan 6, 2016 at 5:13 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
My most sincere best wishes for Oscar's recovery. This is an incredible event and all we can do is wish the very best to him. Once he's ready to come back to work, he'll be better than ever and ready to tackle the challenges ahead. And I'm more than willing to be patient for a man who cares enough to tackle them.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wish him well. Hope he gets better soon and speedy recovery in a while. Take it easy. I hoped he will return to work again soon.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mkr

Who will be minding the store at UA in the interim? Will they be able to move forward without Oscar Munoz heavily involved? Transplants require up to two weeks in the hospital and 3 months monitoring by the transplant team.
I would imagine that Brett Hart will continue as interim CEO for the time being.

Had no idea the heart attack was so serious that it would require a transplant and am surprised that he would be coming back so quickly after it. Best wishes to him on the recovery and his family.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Best wishes to him and his family.

If it were me I would retire.
Agree one hundred percent.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mkr

Brett Hart will mind the store.

I'm with others here that I'd probably retire. I know it's different, but my father had a successful complicated surgery to remove cancer a couple years ago. He was cancer free for all of about 3 months before it was back and uncontrollable. My point is that once you're doing procedures such as this, you never really know how or when your body will react.

Best wishes for Oscar in his recovery.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by JBord

I'm with others here that I'd probably retire. I know it's different, but my father had a successful complicated surgery to remove cancer a couple years ago. He was cancer free for all of about 3 months before it was back and uncontrollable. My point is that once you're doing procedures such as this, you never really know how or when your body will react.

I agree. My dad worked for a large corporation and had a series of brain surgeries (not cancerous) but he didn't function nearly the same after the long series of operations etc. I'd imagine with a heart transplant it's even worse - having a seizure at work is different than literally dropping dead.

I read on another forum that some believe that a heart transplant is so severe that this is just corporate talk and they are looking for a new CEO (lot's of risk involved.) I can see that point also.

Anybody feel Oscar might not actually be coming back?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The husband of my Adm Asst had a heart transplant in 1997 and is coming up on his 20th anniversary next year, and is one of the fittest, most energetic folks I know.

We just aren't privy to the details (nor should we be) of this situation, but a heart transplant is not necessarily a prima facie indication to retire.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Odd they would not announce this in advance. While I wish him well it will take a while to see how he recovers and how this plays out. He might not feel like going back in the cage.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by iquitos
Odd they would not announce this in advance. While I wish him well it will take a while to see how he recovers and how this plays out. He might not feel like going back in the cage.
If there's no legal requirement to inform shareholders, I hope they wouldn't announce it in advance. I'm sure it's an incredibly stressful time for Oscar's family, and although well-wishers mean well, they really can add to the stress at times like this. I'm glad they were able to have some private time together, without any outside distractions, going into a serious procedure like this.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by iquitos
Why would they announce this in advance? It would only serve to put unnecessary pressure on his private life, worry loyal customers, panic investors, especially if the result is an unknown (i.e., whether he survives the surgery or not).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Get well soon Mr. Munoz!

Last edited by goalie; Jan 6, 2016 at 7:35 pm Reason: Off topic comment removed
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JBord

My father had open heart surgery to replace a defective valve, and he enjoyed six years of feeling far better than he did before the surgery. He eventually passed away from other causes, but the heart surgery gave him 6 very productive years, and he never regretted it.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
My father had open heart surgery to replace a defective valve, and he enjoyed six years of feeling far better than he did before the surgery. He eventually passed away from other causes, but the heart surgery gave him 6 very productive years, and he never regretted it.
Yeah, you never know if you have 6 months or 6 years. It's certainly a personal decision on how you want to spend it. The more I think about it, if they hadn't announced Oscar's return as January earlier, we probably wouldn't have even seen the announcement today. They had to explain why he wasn't back at work. Makes me think the spring timing is really just a stall tactic to see how he recovers and give him time to make the decision.

And personally, I think that's very appropriate, and a good way for UA to handle it. I'm sure there's been some contingency planning going on already and it's probably going into high gear now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.