Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar had heart transplant, plans to return in spring [Update 15 Jan 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Oscar had heart transplant, plans to return in spring [Update 15 Jan 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
Obviously, some direct decisions made by Oscar - such as the appointment of a full-time CFO - will impact United, but I would expect that his greatest impact will be the tone and culture.
Yes, this is what CEO's do. They set the direction for the company and all the minions carry out that direction in ways that apply to their departments. An effective CEO will create a culture they want. The good ones create a culture that actually helps the company.

Some of the threads here where people are crediting Oscar for changes or assuming everything will be great when he gets back to work are worth a chuckle. He's going to put his name on some of the initial changes because he needs to regain the trust of his employees and customers. But he's really not involved in the details.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
I think this would be a reasonable expectation. In a recent interview in Air Transport World, interim CEO Brett Hart confirmed as much by saying Oscar should have the opportunity to mold the organization in his vision. I would expect this to be a reshaping of company tone/culture.

Obviously, some direct decisions made by Oscar - such as the appointment of a full-time CFO - will impact United, but I would expect that his greatest impact will be the tone and culture.
And among us on FT, I submit that there are probably 75% of us who think that because "tone" and "culture" can't be reduced to numbers in cell CF1054 on some spreadsheet, they don't count; and about 25% of us (myself included) who think that tone and culture are what sets the atmosphere for every single of dollar of revenue and profit.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, this is what CEO's do. They set the direction for the company and all the minions carry out that direction in ways that apply to their departments. An effective CEO will create a culture they want. The good ones create a culture that actually helps the company.

Some of the threads here where people are crediting Oscar for changes or assuming everything will be great when he gets back to work are worth a chuckle. He's going to put his name on some of the initial changes because he needs to regain the trust of his employees and customers. But he's really not involved in the details.
I don't really care if he is or is not involved in the details. What matters is that he's seeking a new start with customers and employees, and not declaring war on them like $misek did.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And among us on FT, I submit that there are probably 75% of us who think that because "tone" and "culture" can't be reduced to numbers in cell CF1054 on some spreadsheet, they don't count; and about 25% of us (myself included) who think that tone and culture are what sets the atmosphere for every single of dollar of revenue and profit.
I've always thought that the job of mid-management is to make decisions based on metrics coherent with culture set by execs.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I look forward to seeing you in 2016 to continue working together to build a great airline.
Interesting choice of words and an implicit admission that United is not a great airline. Certainly a good place to start.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Announced today:

United Airlines today announced that Oscar Munoz, the company's president and CEO, underwent a heart transplant operation early today and is in recovery. A transplant was considered the preferred treatment and was not the result of a setback in his recovery. The United team wishes Oscar well during his recovery, and expects him to return to United at the end of the first quarter or the beginning of the second quarter.

The company will provide additional information in the next 24 hours.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Announced today:
Wow. Best wishes to Oscar!

Quite a shocking development... one that only results in more instability for the company, however. UAL's Board needs to be considering an outside candidate for the job in the event Oscar (justifiably so) decides to retire for the sake of his own health and well-being. A Q1/Q2 return following a heart transplant - no matter how successful - to a high-stress job as an airline CEO, which obviously involves a great deal of travel, is incredibly ambitious.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Without much additional info, it sounds like the attack probably seriously damaged his heart.

I hope he recovers well
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Wow, didn't realize that a transplant was going to be his course of treatment. Sounds like it was successful, though - wishing him a speedy recovery!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Oscar is Coming Back in Q1 2016!

Best wishes to him and his family.

If it were me I would retire.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Best wishes to him and his family.

If it were me I would retire.
Wow indeed. Best wishes to him and his Family but for the BOD not to have been considering other options is inconceivable.

I really hope he makes it back, but it's far from certain this will happen in my view.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery

Mr. Munoz, I am sure that you are well aware, that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you a Speedy and Healthy Recovery..
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Wow indeed. Best wishes to him and his Family but for the BOD not to have been considering other options is inconceivable.

I really hope he makes it back, but it's far from certain this will happen in my view.
Agreed on all points. Heart transplant is serious business. Now he has to deal with immunosuppresants, potential for rejection of the transplanted heart, intense cardiac rehab etc. The 5 year survival rate for heart transplant recipients is ~70%. For his own best interest, I really hope he retires.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The news of the heart transplant is mildly shocking. I know that sometimes people and organizations want to play down the seriousness of one's health conditions, but I did not anticipate this to be so serious, apparently.

Wishing Mr. Munoz a speedy recovery and restored health!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oscar Munoz is only 56 or 57 years old. He potentially has many more years ahead of him and doesn't want to retire at such a young age. I wish him a speedy recovery and if he is up to it would love to see him return to his CEO position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.