Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stay with United Miles now that JFK slots are closed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, VA, DL, SPG

I'm having trouble deciding! Should I abandon United Miles and its credit card because UA abandoned JFK for its West Coast flights? If so, which of the other miles programs with AA, DL, VX, or JB is a worthwhile replacement?

I've been pretty UA loyal for the past 10 years. My husband and I earn enough miles to for a vacation flight every year or two, and that's been a HUGE perk. We recently went on a trip to Croatia with points. We each still have 50k UA miles.

I get my points mostly by flying SFO>JFK RT on UA at least 6 times a year, plus another 4-5 RT flights (the routes and airlines for those flights vary) and miles from using my credit card. He flies about half that often. It's enough for a decent pot of miles each year, not for any status. We don't often use the free checked bag. We don't stay in hotels much.

Staying with UA for my West to East Coast flights and flying into EWR is definitely not an option since my destination is on Long Island. That means I'm not likely to fly UA much anymore.

It looks like keeping my UA credit card (with the annual fee) isn't worth it. I'm thinking of dropping the card once my husband and I get back up to 60k miles (enough for one last Europe trip).

Meanwhile, I think I need to pick a new preferred airline for my SFO>JFK flights and join their program. (Using flyertalk to research the others, but appreciate tips!).

Am I missing any reasons to keep the UA credit card and stay UA loyal?

Last edited by SFLboogie; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFLboogie
I'm having trouble deciding! Should I abandon United Miles and its credit card because UA abandoned JFK for its West Coast flights? ...
Your only option to stick with UA would be to give up non-stop Tcon flights and switch to connections via DEN or IAH or ORD into LGA. Depending where you're heading on LI, this might be workable on the ground, but it would add a couple of hours of travel time, overall.

And if this doesn't work and if you want to use points for global reward flights,then AA is probably your best bet for now.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Disregard, see EWR is not an option for OP.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Your only option to stick with UA would be to give up non-stop Tcon flights and switch to connections via DEN or IAH or ORD into LGA. Depending where you're heading on LI, this might be workable on the ground, but it would add a couple of hours of travel time, overall.

And if this doesn't work and if you want to use points for global reward flights,then AA is probably your best bet for now.
+1. In the lengthy discussion that was had over this move, folks on LI were definitely the ones most negatively impacted.

As it sounds like OP does a decent amount of TCON, I would recommend moving to another airline that does JFK-SFO non-stop. Any of the other major airlines would work, but if you like accumulating miles, it's probably best to hop to AA and rack 'em up while their mileage-based RDM exists.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
If EWR isn't in your future, I don't see why you'd bother to stay loyal to United.

Other airlines offer reasonable options. Delta has SkyTeam partners with lots of flights @ JFK to Europe if that's what you are after (Skyteam flights aren't subject to the ridiculous skypeso pricing... they're more "normal")
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by entropy
If EWR isn't in your future, I don't see why you'd bother to stay loyal to United.
The OP indicates that award travel to Europe is part of the appeal of a program. UA is very, very good for that with partners.

Originally Posted by entropy
Other airlines offer reasonable options. Delta has SkyTeam partners with lots of flights @ JFK to Europe if that's what you are after (Skyteam flights aren't subject to the ridiculous skypeso pricing... they're more "normal")
Fewer destinations on ST for nonstop, similar number with connections. It can work but isn't quite as varied in options overall.

But I also wouldn't change my "now" travel that much for the sake of future travel like that.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Leave. There is no use staying with United if they don't fly from and where you want to go. You are the customer / consumer.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
The OP indicates that award travel to Europe is part of the appeal of a program. UA is very, very good for that with partners.
I think it depends on OP's preference for doing non-stop travel via LGA-XXX-SFO v. the better partners of *A.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, VA, DL, SPG
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think it depends on OP's preference for doing non-stop travel via LGA-XXX-SFO v. the better partners of *A.
LGA-XXX-SFO might happen but I don't see it happening more than 1 or 2 one-ways a year.

During winter, I can't see choosing a TCON layover ever. In better weather, we might do the occasional layover through Boulder one-way, as we have family there. That's about it.

Sounds like I'm going to leave United and just choose flights based on whatever other airline is cheapest or the best schedule for my SFO>JFK flights.

I'm looking at Ultimate Rewards credit cards so I can perhaps still redeem points for United international flights, but might just settle for cashback cards.

It was a good ride, United.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:18 pm
Suspended

if you care about miles, then AA is a clear winner. they do lots of transcons from JFK and have by far the best mileage program. are they similar to united? nope. not even close. they are way better for what you're doing. i'm surprised you didn't notice your earnings drop dramatically this year on united. i would have left them anyway given your patterns.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If you plan enough credit card spending, keeping the UA card gives you *A flight options when it comes time for award travel. Earn AA miles by flying AA, and you'd have access to oneworld flights. Plan your award travel by taking *A in one direction and oneworld in the other. Since AA does not permit stopovers on roundtrip awards, you are basically giving up that perk by leaving UA anyway.

YMMV, and good luck!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Its easy to overestimate the 'value' of the free vacation on points - have you ever planned such a trip for cash and actually see what you are getting for a years worth of pain sticking with an airline that might not meet your needs?

If JFK is for you, then ditch UA (they've already fired you of course) for either DL or AA, and don't focus on the 'free trip'
Old Sep 5, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
Originally Posted by sbm12
They won't be getting 60K award to Europe on a partner, they'll need to connect via LGA to some UA hub to use those 60K points or go down to EWR.

If they go to AA they can fly direct from JFK for all travel.

OP you are aware that your mileage to SFO is based on what you spend now, doesn't look like you have status, so you'll need to spend $12,000+ taxes to earn those 60,000 miles now, so really AA is best or just fly whichever is cheapest and put the savings towards that trip.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: ua 1k,3mm, Hyatt Diamond,SPG
Have you considered Virgin?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:52 am

Pick the airline for today.

UA is not great for Long Island.

Try seeing which airline will give you the price/schedule/amenities you want today. Then follow that airline's points program.

Further devaluation at any airline is too likely to make planning a few years possible.

As for credit card, I would look at cash back ... See if you get equal value compared to plane tickets. And cash is easier to spend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.